OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 09:00 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Per the title. We often write about the tactics or antics of opponents, but when have you been 'out of order', either through intent or frustration?

I ask as tonight I, somewhat unusually, got too vocal about the amount of nets and edges I was on the receiving end of.

You?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 10:20 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
When other player, either my opponent or someone else at the other table is yelling excessive CHO that gets me going. I then will do my own excessive CHO to match it or even louder. So far only takes less than 6 times of mad CHO of my own to settle the situation.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 11:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nets and edges, or people choing, those external things never upset me. But I do get frustrated when my play is crap, and sometimes scream very loud and/or throw and smash things. I also once pulled a sheet of newish T05 off my bat and tore it in half at the table.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 13:29 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I've been yellow carded in my time.

I carry on a fair bit. 90% of it is aimed at myself, but if the opposition is getting lucky and/or not showing any grace in their win, I give it right back.

Haven't destroyed a bat but i've kicked my share of barriers over.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 18:29 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
I naughtily serve super short, and my poor opponent stumble and crash the table.

Needless to say, we pay for the table. :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 19:20 
Super User

I am not proud of this, but feel it's good to share...I need to get it off my chest...

In a Grand Prix event last year, must have been a 1/4 final, as I got an official umpire...I was warned for excessive toweling down (conjures an image!).

Honestly, I was dripping with sweat, which was running onto my bat, and in danger of getting on ball...so despite not being at 6 point opportunity, I thought it best to mop up....I am bad.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 20:24 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
stupet11 wrote:
I am not proud of this, but feel it's good to share...I need to get it off my chest...

In a Grand Prix event last year, must have been a 1/4 final, as I got an official umpire...I was warned for excessive toweling down (conjures an image!).

Honestly, I was dripping with sweat, which was running onto my bat, and in danger of getting on ball...so despite not being at 6 point opportunity, I thought it best to mop up....I am bad.

Which part you are toweling? :P xD

Jokes aside, rather strange verdict you got there.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 21:46 
Super User

Ok - to clarify, I was talking about sweat dripping on my face onto the TT ball....

Was harsh - and I always suck up to the umpires.....! I think she may have been the domineering type...you only towel down when she says to...

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 23:37 

Blade: Soulspin Basalt
FH: Victas 402 Limber
BH: GD Cropcircles OX
stupet11 wrote:

I got into local league trouble a couple of seasons ago for allegedly slowing a game down to the annoyance of my opponent, who then flounced off as soon as the match was finished still complaining. He might have had a point but in my defence he kept serving when I wasn't ready!

Hopefully we won't be playing each other at any time soon in a Vets Rating tournament because with your towelling down and my delaying tactics it could be a long match!

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 01:51 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Only towel down when they say to? That's not part of the rules is it? If it is, it's idiotic. I could understand if you weren't actually dripping sweat and were using it as a delay tactic to throw the opponent's timing off.

Better you towel down than have a wet ball! Messing up the spin is one thing, but wetness on the floor is a safety issue, and that is paramount. These umpires have their heads up their asses sometimes.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 03:03 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Japsican wrote:
Only towel down when they say to? That's not part of the rules is it? If it is, it's idiotic. I could understand if you weren't actually dripping sweat and were using it as a delay tactic to throw the opponent's timing off.

Better you towel down than have a wet ball! Messing up the spin is one thing, but wetness on the floor is a safety issue, and that is paramount. These umpires have their heads up their asses sometimes.

Yes, every multiple of 6 points is my understanding.

185g

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 03:42 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, I've noticed this watching international matches. Is probably in the rules somewhere, have to go look.

Ever play in the rain? :lol: Where we play doubles on weekends, the ball sometimes escapes through the nets and then you have to wipe the ball on your pants or whatever to dry it off.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 07:37 
Super User

Yes, every 6 points you are allowed to use towel…some players do it tactical, if their opponent builds up a head of steam…I just do it when needed…..must have missed a my opportunities previously!

In another tournament, I served the ball and won the match - and the opponent picked it up and said there was sweet on it when I served and we had to reply the point! Thats a rule too….

You….just….can't…win….(except I did, ha - was no way I was losing after that!).

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 08:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

so_devo wrote:
Per the title. We often write about the tactics or antics of opponents, but when have you been 'out of order', either through intent or frustration?

I ask as tonight I, somewhat unusually, got too vocal about the amount of nets and edges I was on the receiving end of.

You?

I need to get a grip on this myself.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 22:08 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
The last few years I've been terrible. Much better since my most recent incident. The two worst were:

1) Getting very vocal and upset in a match I was winning, and my opponent was turning around. The umpire gave me a warning, but rather aggressively. I packed up and left the building, leaving the match unfinished.

2) This season: same scenario. Was 1-0 up and 8-2 up, and opponent pulled back to 8-9... I was struggling to return serves (EJ side-effect) and got upset. Next point, my opponent got a lucky edge, for 8-10. Their serve, I was so angry I just belted the ball, and it flew right at my opponent, and missed my opponent's face. Their response was suitably annoyed: "Do you want to play or not?" -- I said: No, actually, and packed up and left.

Both times I felt terrible about it. The first time, took me a few days to calm down, and I apologised to the players in question, and they were understanding. Time passed.

Last time, I tried to apologise to the opponent, but they were not receptive at all. Knock-on effect is that I may have to drop a division because my team were relegated, but the team in the current division that has a space is the team against whom this took place, and they're, understandably, not keen to welcome me into their team.

After episode two I took a really long hard look at myself, and I've been much better at staying calm and managing my emotions. I've played better too, and enjoyed the games, even if I lose.