OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 06:23 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
With my playing hand still in a cast (32 days and counting), I have been reflecting on stuff. Like, why do I have 50 TT blades? Why did three more arrive in the post today? Why do I want another one? And so forth. This lead me to the pondering of what would have been my last words, if I were to die tomorrow, say. I know, a bit dark.

One of the most famous "Last Words" quotes is
Quote:
"More Light"
attributed to Goethe. Of course, he was actually asking for the curtains to be opened to let in "more light", not making some grand statement about the universe, life and everything. Another is
Quote:
"I'm bored with it all". Winston Churchill.
Another very famous quote is
Quote:
"I wish I'd spent more time in the office" with the follow on statement "...said no one on their deathbed ever".
This started me thinking about table tennis related things. Maybe the train of causality is not obvious, but I have too much brooding time on my hands.

My quote (which I never said on my deathbed) would be something along the lines of
Quote:
"I wish I'd spent more time EJ-ing instead of playing table tennis"
or, less specifically,
Quote:
"I wish I'd spent more time not playing table tennis".
Although, after 32 days, the Churchill quote is hitting home.

I came up with one or two non-attributed other "last words for table tennis fans", which, it should be borne in mind, are only meant in jest, and not to offend anyone.

So famous last words (which no one ever said) of table tennis aficionados. Entries welcome. To get started:-

Quote:
"I wish I'd spent more time complaining about the plastic ball instead of just playing table tennis"
...said no table tennis fan ever on his deathbed. This can be recycled endlessly, by changing "plastic ball" to, say, "long pimples", "the ITTF", "TTX" etc. :lol:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 10:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You're right.... you've got too much time on your hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your comments are certainly food for thought though. Makes me think of another line; "you don't truly appreciate something until you lose it". Lucky in your case it's only temporary. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 05:44 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
With all that time on your hands, darcula, you can make up an epitaph for me :oops: -

I've spent more hours (and years) than I care to remember poring over dusty newspaper archives trying to find scores and results from TT World Championships gone by (they are much harder to turn up than you might think). Some days I might come home after a day's work with maybe 2 scores from the last 64 of the Women's Doubles in 1936. :?:

My favourite last words, attributed to King George V but obviously not suitable for national mourning and remebrance ; 'Bugger Bognor' :lol: (he was sent there -Bognor Regis- on a rest cure for his ailing health).

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 06:57 
Super User

zzzuppp wrote:
With all that time on your hands, darcula, you can make up an epitaph for me :oops: -

I've spent more hours (and years) than I care to remember poring over dusty newspaper archives trying to find scores and results from TT World Championships gone by (they are much harder to turn up than you might think). Some days I might come home after a day's work with maybe 2 scores from the last 64 of the Women's Doubles in 1936. :?:

You're supposed to come up with your own, but, as I'm going to have a checkup tomorrow and hoping that the cast will come off, I am seeking some good Karma. The problem is that your "hobby" is a little unusual, and maybe a little weird, unless you're related to these people, or are writing a book of table tennis statistics. :) Anyway, to randomise it a little, I have come up with this:-
Quote:
"I wish that I had spent more time obsessing over unimportant stuff than happened before I was born*, instead of just playing table tennis"
...was not said on their deathbed by anyone with 3 Zs and 3 Ps in their name. I am fairly sure that's true, and that no-one can identify you personally.

*If you were born before 1936, you have my respect. And if you are writing the book, also respect.

Last edited by darucla on 17 Jul 2017, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 07:53 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I wish I'd known about competition table tennis before I was 23 (see next wish).

I wish I'd had table tennis training when I was growing up (but then I would have an orthodox style).

I wish I'd lived in a table tennis hot spot (but then I'd have no excuse).

I wish (but then I wouldn't do anything for wishing).

-- wishless in Sydney.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 08:44 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
darucla wrote:

You're supposed to come up with your own, but, as I'm going to have a checkup tomorrow and hoping that the cast will come off, I am seeking some good Karma. The problem is that your "hobby" is a little unusual, and maybe a little weird, unless you're related to these people, or are writing a book of table tennis statistics. :) Anyway, to randomise it a little, I have come up with this:-
Quote:
"I wish that I had spent more time obsessing over unimportant stuff than happened before I was born*, instead of just playing table tennis"
...was not said on their deathbed by anyone with 3 Zs and 3 Ps in their name. I am fairly sure that's true, and that no-one can identify you personally.

*If you were born before 1936, you have my respect. And if you are writing the book, also respect.

Thank you! and good Karma to you, may the cast be cast off.
I was born in 1958, (so no respect there) ... and the book (History of the TT World Championships) is kinda written (respect!). I got up to 2004, and after that there's only so many ways of saying 'China won everything again' so it's ground to a halt. Also I don't know whether to publish it as a book (very little interest) or put it online and get all my hard work copied everywhere for no reward.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 00:37 
Super User

There is a possibility that some other countries might yet rise against the Might of the CNT. But, yeah, not betting on it.

So, anyway, there is probably more work to do on the book, but you will still run into the problem of sales potential. You probably need to add, right at the beginning, something quite sensational, which is not stats based. My theory is that most critics only look at the beginning of anything they are reviewing.

And my cast is off. Not supposed do anything silly before 2 - 4 weeks though. But i do have my new DHS 301 blade, which is very enticing. I wonder what a doctor thinks is silly, but is really just being less than over-cautious. I already have missed out on 50 years of playing because of doctor's advice.

I'm not sure if Retriever wants me to do his last words, so I won't at the moment.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 20:05 
Super User

zzzuppp wrote:

Thank you! and good Karma to you, may the cast be cast off.
I was born in 1958, (so no respect there) ... and the book (History of the TT World Championships) is kinda written (respect!). I got up to 2004, and after that there's only so many ways of saying 'China won everything again' so it's ground to a halt. Also I don't know whether to publish it as a book (very little interest) or put it online and get all my hard work copied everywhere for no reward.

Have you seen this from EmRatThich? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF2qsbB02mI He may have a use for some of your data.