OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: New ITTF VOC tester
PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 13:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
SAN JOSE, CA, May 25, 2010 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- RAE Systems Inc. (RAE 0.77, +0.01, +1.30%) , a leader in delivering innovative sensor solutions that provide safety and security from unseen threats in industrial, energy, environmental and government markets worldwide, today reported the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) is using RAE Systems' MiniRAE Lite photoionization detector (PID) to detect cheating and to protect table tennis players from volatile organic compounds (VOCs) associated with some adhesives used to affix rubber pads to racket or paddle blades.

"The MiniRAE Lite easily can detect the 2 parts per million (ppm) exposure limit over ambient air set by the ITTF. RAE Systems' MiniRAE-Lite was chosen by the ITTF for worldwide deployment due to its accuracy and ease of use, as well as for RAE Systems' worldwide presence and solid reputation," stated Bill Jackson, RAE Systems' vice president of global marketing.

Many top players commonly used so-called "speed glue" to gain better spin or speed on the ball. The glue reportedly increases the elasticity of the rubber facing-material providing more bounce. The 2008 Summer Olympics was the final tournament to allow the use of the now banned compounds. In September 2008, the ITTF banned the use of potentially harmful glues and introduced a new racket-testing program to ensure paddles used by players do not contain VOCs.

The ITTF banned volatile solvents from rackets, as well as its use by the players. According to the regulation 3.2.4.2, tests to detect the presence of volatile solvents shall be carried out at World and Olympic title events, Pro-Tour tournaments and World Junior Circuit events and may be established at Continental and Regional competitions. Specific rules cover the testing of a player's racket and include the specific use of RAE Systems' MiniRAE Lite to detect banned VOCs from players' rackets.

MiniRAE Lite is a photoionization detector (PID) that uses an extremely bright ultraviolet (UV) light source to break down chemicals into ions that can easily be counted with a matched detector, amplified, and then displayed on its meter with readings as small as parts per million (ppm). The ions quickly recombine after passing the electrodes in the detector to re-form their original molecule. The MiniRAE Lite is the most reliable hand-held volatile organic compound monitor on the market. Its PID range up to 5,000 parts-per-million (ppm) makes it an ideal instrument for a wide range of industrial, environmental and governmental applications.

About RAE Systems RAE Systems is a leading global provider of rapidly deployable connected, intelligent gas detection systems that enable real-time safety and security threat detection. RAE Systems products are used in more than 95 countries by many of the world's leading corporations and government agencies.

RAE Systems offers a full line of wirelessly enabled solutions including personal, hand-held, transportable, and fixed instruments designed to meet the needs of any usage scenario. Applications include energy production, refining, industrial and environmental safety, public venue safety and government first responder markets.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject: Re: New ITTF VOC tester
PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 15:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't think this will solve anything... in fact I think it will make things worse. I think it will create even more false alarms for player who's bat may have had even the slightest exposure to VOCs without actually having used it to glue their rubbers. Remember that manufacturers still use VOC glue to attach the topsheet to the sponge, so the chance of setting off this machine because the rubber was not aired for long enough is much higher...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 06:37 

Location: Discovery Bay, Lantau Island, Hong Kong or Oulu, Finland
haggisv wrote:
I don't think this will solve anything... in fact I think it will make things worse. I think it will create even more false alarms for player who's bat may have had even the slightest exposure to VOCs without actually having used it to glue their rubbers. Remember that manufacturers still use VOC glue to attach the topsheet to the sponge, so the chance of setting off this machine because the rubber was not aired for long enough is much higher...

These machines are quite accurate. In addition you can compare the local reading against a baseline or known sample to help eliminate false positive.

Similar technology used in security applications.

Galaxy Hinoki 350 Year - Galaxy Apollo V2 (2.2mm) / Galaxy Apollo V2 (1.8mm)

Galaxy Hinoki 200 Year - Galaxy Apollo V2 (2.2mm) / Galaxy Mercury II (1.8mm)

Galaxy Hinoki 200 Year - Galaxy Apollo V2 (2.2mm) / Galaxy Pluto (1.0mm)

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm not disputing they are accurate, I'm sure you're right. My issue is that there are many legitimate or unintentional ways that the rubber can produce non-zero readings... and lowering the limit will make this even worse...

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 18:15 

Hello,

the best instruments to VOC identification is a PID - Photoionization Detector