OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 05:03 
Comeback Chopper

A friend of mine, Isa, is moving with his family from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Sydney, Australia. He is presently an economics professor at Carnegie Mellon University, and he will soon be a professor at the University of Technology, Sydney. He is moving to Sydney this week. Isa is a very enthusiastic table tennis player with a USATT rating of about 1600, and hopes to quickly join a table tennis club upon arrival in Sydney.

Ideally, it would be great if someone on the OOAK forum from Sydney could send to me a private message. I can then give that person Isa's email address. It would be very much appreciated if that person could then send to Isa an email telling him about the various table tennis clubs in Sydney.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 06:14 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
here's TT New South Wales' website, with venues - with Sydney traffic, it would be wise to look in the vicinity where he is to live. https://www.ttnsw.com.au/home/
Sydney locals can comment on the merits of the clubs - Retriever?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 07:33 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
You rang!

Off the top of my head, Sydney University, which is just up Broadway (not NY) from UTS, has a table tennis club, but I am not sure whether it takes non-Sydney University players.

As PRW said, it depends on which suburb Isa is living in as to which club would be most suited to him. Unfortunately the venue at Sydney Olympic Park which is the TT NSW home is out of commission for a while due to fire. There are not too many "permanent" clubs around.

I am most familiar with the northern beaches and to some extent the north side of the harbour of Sydney.

PM about to be sent.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 02:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
birding&table.tennis wrote:
A friend of mine, Isa, is moving with his family from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Sydney, Australia. He is presently an economics professor at Carnegie Mellon University, and he will soon be a professor at the University of Technology, Sydney. He is moving to Sydney this week. Isa is a very enthusiastic table tennis player with a USATT rating of about 1600, and hopes to quickly join a table tennis club upon arrival in Sydney.

Ideally, it would be great if someone on the OOAK forum from Sydney could send to me a private message. I can then give that person Isa's email address. It would be very much appreciated if that person could then send to Isa an email telling him about the various table tennis clubs in Sydney.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

Wow, this story is not uncommon to me. We (Melbourne) also have a TT enthusiast at my club who was a Uni professor from the USA (Texas). He was in the area of 1600-1700 US when he first got here about 7 years ago. I'd say he's now around the 2000 mark with the large amount of TT he's been able to play here. Perhaps your friend will improve also Steven, although I'm not sure Sydney has the number of quality competitions that Melbourne does. They seem a little more ad-hoc up there about TT competitions. From what I recall from some of our Sydney-siders (pre-Retriever) there s a good club called the Maroubra Seals, and then there are quite a number of RSL clubs that host TT tables. As Retriever said, it depends on the suburb he ends up living in as Sydney is a time consuming place to traverse. In 1986 I lived in Watson's Bay to the very East of Sydney. I had a girlfriend well west of the city, and it took 3 hours drive to clear the city's western limits. I doubt it's gotten any quicker since then LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 02:04 
Comeback Chopper

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
birding&table.tennis wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Steven

Wow, this story is not uncommon to me. We (Melbourne) also have a TT enthusiast at my club who was a Uni professor from the USA (Texas). He was in the area of 1600-1700 US when he first got here about 7 years ago. I'd say he's now around the 2000 mark with the large amount of TT he's been able to play here. Perhaps your friend will improve also Steven, although I'm not sure Sydney has the number of quality competitions that Melbourne does. They seem a little more ad-hoc up there about TT competitions. From what I recall from some of our Sydney-siders (pre-Retriever) there s a good club called the Maroubra Seals, and then there are quite a number of RSL clubs that host TT tables. As Retriever said, it depends on the suburb he ends up living in as Sydney is a time consuming place to traverse. In 1986 I lived in Watson's Bay to the very East of Sydney. I had a girlfriend well west of the city, and it took 3 hours drive to clear the city's western limits. I doubt it's gotten any quicker since then LOL.

RebornTTEvnglist,

Thanks so much for all of your helpful information. I didn't know anything about the status of table tennis clubs in Sydney. Even though it sounds complicated, it is great that there are many table tennis clubs in Sydney. The only table tennis club that I have played at in Australia was in Melbourne in 1975. At the time, I was told that this was the largest table tennis club in the world. The club was in an old airplane hangar. That club no longer exists.

It will be exciting if Isa can make the same progress as the professor from Texas.

Steven

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 13:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
So, did he make it down yet?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2017, 13:58 
Comeback Chopper

haggisv wrote:
So, did he make it down yet?

haggisv,

Yes, he has made it to Sydney. Isa is having a great time playing table tennis in Sydney. I think that he goes to more than one club. Several members of the OOAK Forum were very helpful in enabling Isa to quickly become part of the Sydney table tennis community. That sure is special.

Steven

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 06:37 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Good to hear.

When I last corresponded with him, he was still living in temporary accommodation, and table tennis was taking a back seat to finding a more permanent living arrangement and settling in.

I did point him in the direction of some TT clubs near his work and left it up to him to contact me when he was ready.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 20:41 

Blade: Butterfly
FH: Butterfly
BH: Butterfly
I have listed a number of table tennis clubs around the world at: https://www.bydewey.com/clubs.html

Some of them are in Sydney, Australia:
- Cherrybrook Table Tenns Club, Sydney, Australia
- St George & Sutherland Shire Table Tennis Association (STGSSTA) or (SSTT), Sydney, Australia
- Sydney Northern Districts Table Tennis Association (SNDTTA), formerly called The Manly Warringah District Table Tennis Association (MWDTTA), Australia
Sydney Table Tennis Club (STTC), Padstow, Sydney, NSW Australia
- Wah Sing Table Tennis Academy, Sydney, AU

Please feel free to send me an email if there are other Table Tennis Clubs in Australia that you'd like to see added to this page.

Thank you.

I Lee
Table Tennis Links
https://www.bydewey.com/ttlinks.html