OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 05:51


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 17:06 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Now back home after a great weekend with my best mates at the Table Tennis camp run by Thomas Keinath and Ruwen Filus. It was great to receive coaching from two of the best players in the world and it was a lot of fun! Thomas gave me drills to do that Wang Xi does on a daily basis - Wang is Thomas' Fulda team mate in the German Bundesliga and Wang is also a modern defender like me and Wang is one of the best defenders in the world. We also got an hours one to one multi ball and coaching from Ruwen on Sunday which was excellent. It was a pretty intense course so I hardly got chance to film some of the camp, however I did get a short recording of the one chance I got to take Ruwen on in a match (Ruwen is the World number 21). The game was starting at 5-5 up to 11. I was over the moon that I managed to lose 11-8 and get 3 points! My counterparts didn't manage a single point (sorry lads haha) - notice I hesitated and netted some shots, Ruwen's chops were very spinny and well placed I ended up pulling out of shots as you can see in the video, he made me change my mind. After speaking extensively to Thomas and Ruwen they suggested I change pimples from the Feint Long 3 I was using to TSP Curl, as they said it's better suited to my game and it was confirmed I got much more spin on my shots with the Curl because Thomas netted a lot of my chops when he was looping at me and he said it had a lot more spin!
I also got Thomas and Ruwen to sign my shirt and blades ;) it was a fantastic experience and I enjoyed it immensely. It was amazing to play against Ruwen and Thomas, not something your average player gets the opportunity to do!
We met some great people and had an awesome time in Germany. Thank you to Thomas for everything you did for us this weekend you are a legend!

Ruwen spoke to me about rubbers, things he finds difficult in the game, player's boosting and more!

I have to say I was rather proud of the first two points against Ruwen! :D



Attachments:
me2.jpg
me2.jpg [ 62.4 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]
me.jpg
me.jpg [ 61.27 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]
me5.jpg
me5.jpg [ 69.43 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]
me4.jpg
me4.jpg [ 36.42 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]
me3.jpg
me3.jpg [ 34.43 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 18:56 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6091
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 716 times
ridderz65 wrote:


I'll have to admit.. when you stepped over that barrier in the beginning.. I was thinking "that's one tall guy".. :lol: I would have gone around, I'd have snagged my pants..

I'm curious about what Filus had to say about boosting. Who is boosting, and what were they boosting? Is EVERYONE boosting, or just Hurricane users?

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 19:07 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 29 times
iskandar taib wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:


I'll have to admit.. when you stepped over that barrier in the beginning.. I was thinking "that's one tall guy".. :lol: I would have gone around, I'd have snagged my pants..

I'm curious about what Filus had to say about boosting. Who is boosting, and what were they boosting? Is EVERYONE boosting, or just Hurricane users?

Iskandar


Hahaha! Yes I am rather tall :rofl: It was amazing to play Ruwen and the first two points were great from my point of view.

Basically Ruwen said that just about everyone uses booster. He doesn't, but he said many many players are boosting their rubbers. Thomas said you have to boost Hurricane otherwise it's unplayable, he uses 10x boosted Hurricane. All the Chinese players boost and apparently there are not many pros who don't boost. I asked if Timo Boll boosts and Thomas said he doesn't, but Butterfly boost the rubbers for him anyway pretty much.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 21:15 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2016, 21:29
Posts: 524
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Blade: DEFPLAY(CUT DOWN)
FH: S/P TSP L CATCHER 1.8
BH: BEST ANTI 1.8
brilliant m8-just reading now-more vids required 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 21:52 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6091
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 716 times
I suppose Tenergy comes "boosted" already, in any case.. I wonder if Boll's sheets come boosted to a greater degree then.. :lol:

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 22:30 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 1831
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 337 times
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Secret Flow Chop (1.5mm)
BH: FL3 (1.3)/P-1R (1.5) Test
Ridderz, first off, this is AMAZING!! What a cool experience, and thanks for sharing.

Your play in the video against Ruwen was very impressive. I think I commented that I thought you were near my level, but I retract that, you are way above my level after watching more closely. I know it's one game, he's a defender, and he's probably taking it easy, but this is a world class player, and your FH is far superior to mine. Nice play!

Hopefully with Ruwen's advice you will finally end your search for the perfect LP! :lol: :rofl:
(Dr. heal thyself as I am an EJ as well :lol: )

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 23:23 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 29 times
iskandar taib wrote:
I suppose Tenergy comes "boosted" already, in any case.. I wonder if Boll's sheets come boosted to a greater degree then.. :lol:

Iskandar


From what I could gather, Butterfly do make special Tenergy for Boll, pre boosted. So he himself doesn't actually do it, but Butterfly do it for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 23:27 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Japsican wrote:
Ridderz, first off, this is AMAZING!! What a cool experience, and thanks for sharing.

Your play in the video against Ruwen was very impressive. I think I commented that I thought you were near my level, but I retract that, you are way above my level after watching more closely. I know it's one game, he's a defender, and he's probably taking it easy, but this is a world class player, and your FH is far superior to mine. Nice play!

Hopefully with Ruwen's advice you will finally end your search for the perfect LP! :lol: :rofl:
(Dr. heal thyself as I am an EJ as well :lol: )


Thank you Japsican! It was AMAZING!

Thank you I appreciate those comments. I guess that Ruwen took it easy, however I was very satisfied with how I played in such a limited time. 5 ALL in a game to 11 and I managed 3 points. My friends didn't manage a single point against him :lol: I am a decent player and I mix up my backhand chopping with powerful forehand attacks. Thomas said I was a similar player to Wang Xi and Panagiotis Gionis. The fact that I play further away from the table meant that the Feint Long 3 was not the right rubber for my game. Ruwen said it has great spin properties close to the table, but not so good defending from afar. So Ruwen told me to use Curl P1r and as soon as I changed I was getting loads more spin on my defence. It will just require a few weeks to adjust to it.

It's a shame I couldn't get more footage. I will have to record my play this coming season more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 00:05 
Offline
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 13:38
Posts: 1831
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 337 times
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Secret Flow Chop (1.5mm)
BH: FL3 (1.3)/P-1R (1.5) Test
ridderz65 wrote:
Japsican wrote:
Ridderz, first off, this is AMAZING!! What a cool experience, and thanks for sharing.

Your play in the video against Ruwen was very impressive. I think I commented that I thought you were near my level, but I retract that, you are way above my level after watching more closely. I know it's one game, he's a defender, and he's probably taking it easy, but this is a world class player, and your FH is far superior to mine. Nice play!

Hopefully with Ruwen's advice you will finally end your search for the perfect LP! :lol: :rofl:
(Dr. heal thyself as I am an EJ as well :lol: )


Thank you Japsican! It was AMAZING!

Thank you I appreciate those comments. I guess that Ruwen took it easy, however I was very satisfied with how I played in such a limited time. 5 ALL in a game to 11 and I managed 3 points. My friends didn't manage a single point against him :lol: I am a decent player and I mix up my backhand chopping with powerful forehand attacks. Thomas said I was a similar player to Wang Xi and Panagiotis Gionis. The fact that I play further away from the table meant that the Feint Long 3 was not the right rubber for my game. Ruwen said it has great spin properties close to the table, but not so good defending from afar. So Ruwen told me to use Curl P1r and as soon as I changed I was getting loads more spin on my defence. It will just require a few weeks to adjust to it.

It's a shame I couldn't get more footage. I will have to record my play this coming season more.

That's strange given he uses it far from the table often! Haha!

_________________
Blog: "Holy Chtchet!"Rating: 1615

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 01:37 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Quote:
That's strange given he uses it far from the table often! Haha!

He said he plays 60/70% attack and 30/40% defence, and the FL3 gives good spin with shots over the table. He said the spin is not so good far from the table. He only defends away from the table when he is forced. But because he attacks more than he defends the FL3 is good for him because he's closer to the table.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 01:56 
Offline
Iron Pips
Iron Pips
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 22:07
Posts: 3489
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Has thanked: 520 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Blade: Stiga Carbonado 190
FH: Xiom Omega V Pro
BH: Dr N Bison+ 1,8 mm
ridderz65 wrote:
Quote:
That's strange given he uses it far from the table often! Haha!

He said he plays 60/70% attack and 30/40% defence, and the FL3 gives good spin with shots over the table. He said the spin is not so good far from the table. He only defends away from the table when he is forced. But because he attacks more than he defends the FL3 is good for him because he's closer to the table.


When he chops, he usually chops rather close to the table if I remember correctly.

_________________
My blog: Def-attack's attempts to find balance between defence/attack | Serving techniques and strategy section


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 03:06 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 06:17
Posts: 855
Location: Yorkshire
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 40 times
Blade: Yin-He t2 modified
FH: t05 fx 1.9
BH: 388d ox
Ridderz what a great experience to have,you look decent.
Strange that they say Feint 3 is not for further away from the table Butterflys description says that was what it was designed for:

Butterfly Feint Long III P.O. Table Tennis Rubber

Butterfly

A further development from Feint Long II. The softer sponge that is used helps keep the ball lower when defending and increases effect when blocking up at the table through extra spin reversal. Ideal for players with long distance defence.

And whilst I agree with that part of their description the extra spin reversal claim is untrue,you will only get a float ball when blocking even the heaviest topspin

_________________
Modified Yin-He T2 Tenergy 05 fx 1.9/388d ox


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 08:14 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3213
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 809 times
Been thanked: 378 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
Strange he's saying that. His percentages of his own game are way of, except when you read defense as classical defense and attack as modern defense.

You're a good player, but after the first two points you only got a third one by a lucky edge. Filus adapted to your game after two points. This makes him a pro. I wonder what he changed?

It might be interesting to enlighten us more about your conversation with Ruwen Filus.

It took Ruwen Filus and Thomas Keinath to convince you to go P1-R? You might as well followed the advice of the great and wise Joo Too. ;)

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 12:47 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6091
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 716 times
Lorre wrote:
Strange he's saying that. His percentages of his own game are way of, except when you read defense as classical defense and attack as modern defense.


I expect he's talking about defensive strokes (chops, blocks, pushes, lobs) vs. attacking strokes (topspin drives, loops, counter drives, flicks). Modern defense would have a high proportion of attacking strokes. The proportion probably varies greatly from day to day, and especially from opponent to opponent - he'd use a lot more defensive strokes against Ma Long, and more attacking strokes vs. another chopper. The 60/70 vs. 40/30 is what he feels it averages to overall.

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2017, 19:42 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 363
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Lorre wrote:
Strange he's saying that. His percentages of his own game are way of, except when you read defense as classical defense and attack as modern defense.

You're a good player, but after the first two points you only got a third one by a lucky edge. Filus adapted to your game after two points. This makes him a pro. I wonder what he changed?

It might be interesting to enlighten us more about your conversation with Ruwen Filus.

It took Ruwen Filus and Thomas Keinath to convince you to go P1-R? You might as well followed the advice of the great and wise Joo Too. ;)


Ruwen said to me that he attacks more than he defends, 60% attack. So he tends to try to be closer to the table, and he said the FL3 is good for spin in digs, pushes, chops and strokes over the table. He said that the spin is not so great further away from the table, but it is OK spin. He only goes back if forced he likes to try to be more attacking than defending, this is what he told me.
Yes, granted, I got a lucky point for my third point. But if I were to say what he changed after the first two points, it would be that he kept he chops shorter and I was then unable to attack them as comfortably, I ended up pulling out of attacking shots as his shots were landing shorter. I was still happy that I had two great points against a world class player. My friends got zero points against him haha!

My conversation with Ruwen was mostly the FL3 conversation and his game style. He also spoke to me about how the P1r was better suited for my game as I tend to go further back from the table and I would have much more spin on my defence with the P1r than the FL3, which was exactly right when I changed. Thomas started looping to me with the P1r and he netted a lot of my defence and he was impressed with the spin I made and he said it was a lot spinnier than the FL3. The conversations I had with Ruwen were mostly about his game, the FL3 rubber, my game and what I should do/change and then we also spoke about the boosting in professional table tennis. It was difficult to speak to him much as he was always busy coaching players.

The first two points I played against Ruwen, mixed in with some good chopping ability, is how I normally play. The last few points Ruwen showed his class and I ended up changing my mind on shots and not being so confident as in the first two points. This is what a pro player is able to do, he is a clever player. I wonder, going by my first couple of points and maybe a couple of the other better points which I lost, where I would rank in the OOAK ranking list? :P


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: