OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 17:22 

Hey folks, I'm working on an app with a self-assessment tool for table tennis players. I admit I am not a very good table tennis player so I thought it would be great if I can get some advice and feedback from you all on whether the self-assessment structure and content makes sense for the different skill levels.

You can find the document in the link below. It's a Google Slides doc, so you can comment on the slides and I can edit them live with your feedback. Thank you so much for helping out!
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 07:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I see your idea here.

One thing that is entirely missing is serve return. It's rather important. I can judge much of a player's skill by the ability of them to read serves.

Looping, counter-hitting, short game (pushing and flicking), blocking/defending could all be specific topics.

I thought the serve topic was pretty decent but I think some language about ball height would be good. Errors too.

Looping backspin often differentiates players. Never mentioned in the forehand or backhand topics.

Game knowledge and tactics are clearly unfinished as the last few are the same (or maybe everyone indeed does lack consistency)

Consistency in table tennis is a funny thing.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 14:10 

Thanks so much for your feedback! Super helpful for me to refine the rating system further. Quick question about the consistency, are you saying that table tennis it's really hard to be consistent or is it a given?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 16:53 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
With forehand and backhand I think that push, drive and loop should be somewhat separate. Some players can push quite well but cannot loop to save themselves. Looping backspin is quite often a crossover point from a beginner to an intermediate player and should get a mention. Can you loop backspin?

With serves, short, heavy backspin is an indicator of an advanced player. I like the mention of deception as many players can do a variety of serves but they are easy to read therefore are not a weapon against intermediate players and above.

With the footwork section, I think you have set the bar too high. A score of 2 looks to me like an intermediate player. A beginner question would be something like 'I don't move my feet unless I have to'.

In comparison, I think the knowledge and tactics is set too low. Most players no matter how bad know the main rules and keep score after only a couple of weeks. Its also a bit subjective as you don't know what rules you don't know. I think rules should be kept out of it and stick to tactics and strategy to assess the level of a player as only the most beginner of beginners will say 2 or 2.5 but I doubt they would be doing this assessment.

i like what you are doing and can see it as a handy checkpoint reference to improvement.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 21:53 

Wow, this is really helpful. Will definitely include looping backspin into the assessment!

Very good feedback on the other footwork as well. I'll lower the bar by 1 or 2 notches.

As for knowledge, I guess you're right, maybe I'll just exclude rules from this aspect totally and just focus on tactics and strategies instead.

Thanks so much Cobalt!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 15:17 

Blade: Petr Korbel
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 25
You'll excuse my cursory examination of your slides as it is 1:40AM and I'm responding from bed, head on pillow, sights on sleep. If this app is to be as relevant to the intermediate player as it is to the beginner who may need to be reminded he or she is actually a beginner I feel like there may be a few introductory assessment questions that are needed; beware, ahead lies more work for you!

There are as many ways to skin the proverbial TT cat as there are cool cats playing TT so identifying at least some elements of a competitor's overall style will help in providing an accurate assessment of ability. For instance, for a defensive player strokes such as the chop are of paramount importance; whereas, to a two-winged looper such a shot may be played once a match if at all. To make an application applicable to all club level players and beginners alike you may find yourself learning more about table tennis than you may want. At the very least a few different aspects need to be considered from grip to playing style and your assessment tool will need to reflect the skills unique to each subset of players. Further, in order to assess tactics you may want to focus on things like why do most players serve from their backhand corner, beyond for variety's sake the reverse pendulum serve offers the following merits and is utilized by players with a strong backhand for XYZ reasons, etc. This could either be through a quiz that draws from a question bank or by framing your assessment tool with statements such as, "I am aware of the tactical advantage of various serves and the likeliest receives in response to each."

I like where you're going with this and some day when I have more time (and energy) I'd be glad to provide more insight if you feel it meritorious.