OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: The Grip
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 13:44 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
This video appears in contrary to other advice which suggests you should predominantly hold the bat with thumb and pointer.

What do you think? Perhaps it just means like most things there is no absolute correct way, just whatever is comfortable and works for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em- ... i27l74iE10

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: The Grip
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 14:40 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I hold my blade this way. I find it most comfortable and effective for me as when pinching with the index and thumb my forearm tightens up, where the grip as in the video feels more relaxed and i can get some more wrist movement and also a softer touch.

I expect, like you said, that its a case of different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 14:45 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I was taught to hold the bat with the middle, ring, and little fingers. The thumb and index finger were used to control the angle of the blade, or to help switching between FH and BH. That was 40 years ago, though.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 16:31 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Yes I too hold with those three fingers however find my index finger floating up to the middle of the bat. I've been told that holdng with pointer and thumb allows greater wrist movement.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 17:14 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I think that the grip involving your index finger/thumb is considered the standard; anything else can work too, but not really the norm.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 17:18 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Someone wanting a hand and a thumbs up in a backhanded sort of way, not to mention a pointer or two ... they need to get a(n orthodox) grip.
</attempted humour>

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 19:48 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Very punny :)

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 00:33 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Danthespearton HQ wrote:
I think that the grip involving your index finger/thumb is considered the standard; anything else can work too, but not really the norm.

The "Pinch the rubbers" grip is definitely not the standard. I have been coached both to grip the handle and lightly guide with the thumb and index and I've been coached to pinch the rubbers and loosely hold the handle. Opinions on this differs amongst all high level folks I speak to, but I tend to favor the latter when attacking. I tend to favor the handle grip when chopping.

Pingskills literally released a video teaching to hold the handle with your ring and pinky, and use the index, thumb and middle finger to gently and loosely guide the face of the bat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi27l74iE10

I think either technique works fine as they both free up the wrist to allow for flex and whip. Gripping with all 5 fingers will most certainly force a locked wrist.

I actually think pinching the rubbers makes it harder to transition from backhand to forehand though unless your grip is 100% neutral.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 07:05 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Japsican wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

The "Pinch the rubbers" grip is definitely not the standard. I have been coached both to grip the handle and lightly guide with the thumb and index and I've been coached to pinch the rubbers and loosely hold the handle. Opinions on this differs amongst all high level folks I speak to, but I tend to favor the latter when attacking. I tend to favor the handle grip when chopping.

Pingskills literally released a video teaching to hold the handle with your ring and pinky, and use the index, thumb and middle finger to gently and loosely guide the face of the bat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi27l74iE10

I think either technique works fine as they both free up the wrist to allow for flex and whip. Gripping with all 5 fingers will most certainly force a locked wrist.

I actually think pinching the rubbers makes it harder to transition from backhand to forehand though unless your grip is 100% neutral.

Welp, I guess I'm wrong then :P Btw, thanks for posting the video; it was pretty fun to watch :rofl:

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 07:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
This is one of the reasons why I told people back then on a related thread that ERT was a quack and that an experienced coach will know multiple approaches to grips and not just parrot what others have told them.

There are people who advocate pressure in your thumb and index finger but the truth is that very few people can tell you what their fingers are doing on every stroke and grip switching is common. On a thread at Mytt, someone pointed out the lower two fingers advice about 2 years or more ago on a Nittaku Japan site and then another person said this was what Stellan Bengsston taught and I did some introspection and realized that those fingers helped me a lot when hitting powerful shots on both forehand and backhand. In fact, I have made the focus of my grip quite a bit over the last 6 months through lots of grip changes. But the lower fingers approach IMO is the most neutral, you don't even need to put the finger on the blade face unless you want to.

I play around with my grip a lot, so no grip is truly alien to me. I think that Alois is underselling what is possible with the backhand grip a bit, but you find that when you experiment with grips, you can play more shots flexibly and make subtle changes to even the caricature of the backhand grip that Alois presented. Ma Long plays with one, but I suspect he is also making subtle changes that he undersells.

As long as

1) your grip is in your fingers and you are not squeezing the blade like a hammer, and
2)have the ability to add pressure and loosing pressure with your fingers to add stability or touch to the grip,
3) can create racket angles by using both the back and forth and up and down motion of the wrist elbow and shoulder while still getting whip

you can hold the racket almost any way you want.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 07:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
duplicate.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus