OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 04:56 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Debater wrote:
I used to keep notes on my own game and a couple of notes on opponents. To be honest though, it became too much like hard work so I stopped. Now I make mental notes during games which I share with team mates or I may on occasion record how each point is won during a game and share those with a team mate at the turn round eg opponent won 3 points with their forehand but you won 7 points from your opponents errors from their forehand side so forget the winner that wizzed past you and focus on exploiting their forehand weakness.

Players can also improve over time so a weakness at the start of the season may become a strength when you next play them. If I do scout players for team mates, it's usually done on the day when their opponents are playing other players so the information is fresh and relevant.

Ultimately, when the team I played for got promoted to the premier div, I found I had more success at the start of matches, by game 2 they were used to me and by game 3 they had worked me out and destroyed me. Good players are able to do that, they don't need notes, they work people out quickly during the game and probably they enjoy the challenge of doing that.

Sure, but sometimes matches and games are determined by 1 point. And sometimes early points make a difference in how the opponent approaches the rest of the game. So it can make a difference if you go in armed with some intel.

Of course, if the opponent is levels better and they work out the kinks mid-game, then you're toast. But not everyone regardless of level, has as much adaptation as other players. There are still some players better than me, that have trouble with choppers, have always had trouble with choppers, and will always have trouble with choppers because they refuse to learn how to play them, or they are less plastic intellectually. They never adapt their strategies, never change tactics, but they're set patterns work against 96% of all players out there, so they stick to it.

As for how much work it is...yes...it can get to where it seems like too much work. I tend to enjoy the work, to a limit.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!