OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 11:36 

Hi, everyone

I am capable of doing side spin during the game but not at the serve. I have been trying to do side serve spin but
the best I can do is too weak for opponents at my level.

I'm looking for any tips to master at least one side spin serve, maybe a story when you first served a strong side serve,
the right angle to hit the ball, the movement of the bat during the impact, anything will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 12:14 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
My side spin serve was self taught and there are probably better and more deceptive ways to do it, but it began as a back spin serve. Serving FH, instead of contacting the ball on the bottom (6 o’clock) I experimented with contacting the ball further up its side, as far as 2 o’clock (for a right hander) which also puts some top spin on it. My aim is to force a return wide to my FH that is high enough to attack.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 13:14 

There are a ton of videos on this subject.
I’ve read a ton on the subject.
Overall they did very little to help me get any serious quantity of spin on my serves.

Your request for side spin would make me guess that none of your serves are likely to be heavy spin.
If they do, then just change your racket angle and contact the ball on the side using the same technique and after your Brain forms new pathways, you will start having a similar quality side spin serve.

IMHO if you’re serious, I suggest you sign up to TTEdge, watch Brett’s videos on service, then send him a video of your serve asking him to fix it.
Then do what he says and when you get the mechanics sorted out and with regular ongoing purposeful practice you should have a working serve that gives your peers trouble in 18 - 36 months.