OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 10:08 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Two questions

What's the most important skill, or quality a table tennis player can have?

Knowing what it is, do you devote any time to developing or nurturing that skill / quality or are you stuck in a routine of turn up and play -then go home.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 10:27 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

IMHO of course - The ability to adapt and change dependent on opponent. I have seen many, many juniors with all the natural talent in the world, but fall over in matches because they cannot do anything but autopilot. It's the innate "learning ability" That i guess translates over to coaching sessions too - How do they handle change?

Bit of a different view I think but important no matter what level the player.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 10:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Read and handle spin.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 14:31 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Keeping the ball on the table, especially with quality.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 16:54 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Ability to stay mentally stable and in the zone while executing strokes and setup-plays learnt by muscle-memory during practice and training.

I think the worst thing any player can do is start second-guessing what is the better stroke or try to make high-risk variations with little chance of success at the last minute that the player hasn't trained for.

I am thinking Miu Hirano's incredible performance against under-prepared and un-ready Chinese top-10 players! It's an excellent strategy when you are the underdog trying to succeed.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 17:43 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
NextLevel wrote:
Keeping the ball on the table, especially with quality.

If you keep the ball on the table longer than your opponent you will never lose a point :D

I was torn between NextLevel's answer and playing the correct shot for each ball you receive. If a player doesn't have the correct technique it can be taught. Teaching the correct shot selection, which includes knowing where to place the ball seems a lot harder, at least in my experience, for people to grasp.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 01:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Touch, or soft hands, or whatever you want to call it, because that is what makes and handles spin.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 06:20 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
IMHO of course - The ability to adapt and change dependent on opponent. I have seen many, many juniors with all the natural talent in the world, but fall over in matches because they cannot do anything but autopilot. It's the innate "learning ability" That i guess translates over to coaching sessions too - How do they handle change?

Bit of a different view I think but important no matter what level the player.

+1 :clap:

I also echo that this is one of the most important skills/qualities to learn, especially at a young age. If you're able to learn this at a young age the sky's the limit.

I've never been immersed in the sport of table tennis as much as I was in 2017. I took notice of many youth with all the natural god given talent in the world struggle, because their opponents strategy is slightly (or immensely) different than the current "meta" that is drilled into their muscle memory from drilling with their coach for hours each day.

Cadets and Juniors aren't an exception though.. Many adults I faced in the US Open, I could barely keep up with them while warming up and they would get perturbed with me that I couldn't keep up with them warming up. Then when the game started they expected me to play a certain way and failed to adapt when I played much differently than they anticipated.

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 06:46 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Riot207 wrote:
Quote:
Cadets and Juniors aren't an exception though.. Many adults I faced in the US Open, I could barely keep up with them while warming up and they would get perturbed with me that I couldn't keep up with them warming up. Then when the game started they expected me to play a certain way and failed to adapt when I played much differently than they anticipated.

Apart from the US Open part, this! I have never been as good as many people at "winning the warm up" in a good way - not be the first to counter it into the net or off the table or to the wrong side or as a winner or clean miss it or ...

I have been accused of not playing table tennis when I do not play orthodox offensive shots when expected but still win. It does seem that when players are outside their comfort zone they often make bad choices. I seem to do better in what I describe as "broken play". Hence my monicker here.