OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 18:05 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
My reply is directed toward the previous post of which I quoted particularly.

Now in replying to you, I kind of agree with Ranger-Man for the many parts. It's not like having Big Mac at various McDonald's venues.
Well, to be more accurate, not just that.

Some EJs would fall to your one category. Some EJs would try even wider ranges of equipments.

I don't do penholders, but I've gone the whole range from different handles (an, co, fl, st and their variances), def to off, and also inverted to pips out (short, medium, long). And I've gone from no name less than $5 to hundreds of dollars equipments.

I'm probably more of trying burgers at various fast food chains, and also at mom n pop dinner, even go to fancy restaurant and ordering burger and eating them all with bare hands, with burger wrapper, and also eating burger with fork and knive. Also eating burgers at different country with their adaptation of local taste and what not. Of, don't forget thay I also get the fries, chicken parts, sundaes, and also the happy meals...

Coming back around to TT blades/rubbers, in a closer one category constraint, performance-wise they might do the same things, more or so, but the feel is different between them. To some, the difference in feel plays bigger role than difference in technicality. To some, different shape of handle (same FL but different brands have their differences, well, even one brands have different FL on some of their models). Etc with various points.
This would answer your first question, I think.

As for placebo effects, it usually wears off pretty soon after several tries, more so after being crushed and defeated with using the new setup.

There's no need for EJ. But there's want. Want always wins.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 20:58 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

rokphish2 wrote:
My reply is directed toward the previous post of which I quoted particularly.

Yes, quite true. Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest this was your principal or only point of view.

In regards to the other stuff...there will no doubt be some initial research (often with the aid of a coach or experienced player) done as to what suits you (handles, pips/inverted, stiff/flexible blades, soft/hard sponge etc) but I don't think that is EJing as such. Once that initial decision has been made then one can get on with playing (or eating). It should not be necessary to continually try or buy different blades to try different handles (for eg). Of course, one could review things from time to time but continually reviewing/testing doesnt appear to fulfill any purpose. Of the EJ's I have met in person I am very confident that whichever bat they use from their bag of bats makes zero difference to their standard of play, despite what they may believe.

'There's no need for EJ. But there's want. Want always wins.' Perhaps, but if you find out a prescribed pill is a placebo would you still bother to take it?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 03:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Actually you would be surprised at how many people there are who their sole purpose is not just becoming high skill players.

For those whose purpose is becoming high skill players, EJ will hurt more than help. But as I said, want is different. Many people want to try new blades and/or rubbers for many various reasons. If they have the money for them, doesn’t hurt. It’s one of the entertainment or release, or enjoyment or whatever you want to call it. We do this with various parts of our lives as well.

We eat at various places despite that the simple food will do just fine. We have more than one watches, more than one pair of shoes, different kind of clothing of the same category. Etc. But, also, some of use only have one watch, one pair of shoes for each function, same kind of clothing or color. To each their own.

I only have one pair of sandals and one pair of shoes (for when sandals couldn’t be worn). I hate trying out clothes, so I buy them once a year or two. Same model of trousers with 3 different colors. Same kind of shirt with 3-4 different colors. Same black underwear, same boxers with 2-3 different colors. All bought in one store/brand. I still use good clothes I bought in year 2000 (or even before that).

I use same one model of TT shoes for about 10 years.

I don’t need a dozen watches to tell time, but I want them. I like changing color or style of watches when I like it. Some days I like orange watch, some days I wear black, some days I like blue, white, automatic watch, dress watch, g-shock watch. Sometimes I change watches every day. Sometimes I only wear a watch when I go out of the house. Sometimes I use the same one for months straight 24x7 without taking it off (shower, swimming, sleeping, have sex, taking a dump). Longest I wear one straight was a little over 6 months.

All I need is one blade and two rubbers. Longest I use and stay with one setup was two years. During which was also my highest level of play. That was the EJ is dead period. I had over a hundred of blades before that. I have over a hundred of blades after that.

I have over a dozen or two or more blades I bought and had not even tried.
Currently I like playing with children size blade, slightly smaller head size and handle size. I like it so much, I had one normal size blade cut down to the same smaller head size so I can have normal size handle. How’s that effect my play? Lower than normal. For serious play with higher skill players I switched to normal/oversize blades. For same level and lower, I stick with the smaller blade. I had to work harder, change my game some, and accept some more losses. But I don’t mind because I’m having fun.

Before the small blade phase, I was in defense blades phase. Trying out several defense blades 980, defplay, Firestarter, Zeus, JSH, Defense Alpha. Still have some other defense blades untried, but got suspended when I accidentally entered small blade phase.

Currently I play best with Zeus oversize blade, and lower with the smaller blades (currently with the cut down blade). These two I carry to the club for the last few weeks. The regular normal blade is having a vacation.

For me I don’t need to EJ. I want to.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 05:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
I cant see a problem with buying gear in order to get better-i try and sell stuff on pretty quickly if it doesnt work.
eg to find the correct blade that works with anti i tried loads of used blades-i sold most of the blades on at break even prices-
i tried several antispin rubbers(most used)and sold them on.you then end up with your end product and hopefully you rid yourself of the old gear.i am currently happy with my pips but if i saw something second hand on e bay i would try and then sell on.
i would not for example buy a blade from dms with anti brand new but i may consider the same second hand for £70.
if i didnt like i would just sell on .so in a nutshell-buy and try and sell on whilst not breaking the bank. :cash: