OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 06:22 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
i understand it gives even glue job. I'm wondering what made you consider buying one.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 18:08 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Too much money laying around I guess?

Stack of books will do the job.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 22:25 
I am Legend
I am Legend

back in the day they were pretty handy. especially if you had to rush your glue or if you prefered to wet glue. Not much point these days.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 04:03 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
Thanks for the replies. i glue alot and do a terrible job everytime. how long do you leave the press/ stack of books on? i glue then start playing

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 07:32 
I am Legend
I am Legend

If you're using latex glue (eg, voc free glue from the last 10 years) then do not wet glue. Let it dry clear before sticking otherwise you'll get a crap glue job and uneven surface

If you're still playing around with speed glue or rubber cement, well, it depends on how wet/domed the rubber was. At least 15m?

However, getting an even glue job is 99% about letting the glue dry and rolling the rubber on, or if you are wet gluing, putting the glue on evenly so you don't get thicker/wetter spots. And 1% clamping it with books/press because it wasn't done properly.

Probably, to clarify, clamping/books are more to stop the rubber peeling at the edges due to doming than to fix a poor glue job.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 08:52 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Bars wrote:
Thanks for the replies. i glue alot and do a terrible job everytime. how long do you leave the press/ stack of books on? i glue then start playing

What glue are you using? Can you describe your process?

Modern glues are latex contact glues that dry in about 15 min. You can apply the rubber anytime after that, even the next day, as long as it is dry. No need for extended pressing, just a light press or roller immediately to ensure all surfaces and edges are in contact.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 15:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I use a press straight after gluing, just to make sure there is solid contact everywhere between the rubber and blade. No need to leave it in there, once it's stuck it's stuck. ;)

Yes, there was value in clamping with the old glues (or speed glue/tuners,boosters), but with the new water based glues extended clamping is not really required.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 18:22 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Yes, the press was more useful awhile back when the use of speedglue and booster were in the craze. Rubbers were doming and the need for forceful press or stack of heavy books to make sure the rubbers stay attached properly on the blade.

Nowadays the need is very much lessened. Unless for those still boosting heavily (or still using speedglue which make rubbers dome.

I still use mixture of rubber cement and thin speedglue for a quickie rubber jobs. But it doesn't dome the rubbers enough to warrant the use of press or stack of heavy books. Once dried, I attach the rubber on the blade, roll it good with a roller, then goes into the case they go.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 06:18 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Quote:
Why do people use rubber press
?

They obviously have a pressing need :)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 08:17 
Super User

You certainly have a way with words Retriever ROFL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 14:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In the old days people used speed glue. I'm not talking about the low-VOC stuff you can still buy (e.g. Haifu Whale II), I'm talking about the stuff from the 1990s, which was mostly organic solvent - very thin, highly poisonous, stank the place up. The way to use it was to pour a huge puddle onto the rubber and wait 10-15 minutes until it soaked into the sponge/evaporated and left enough rubber solids on the surface that it became sticky. You also brushed some on the blade. By this time the rubber would have domed up something fierce. You now had to plonk this domed-up rubber onto the blade and you'd hope the edges didn't curl up (if it did you didn't wait long enough). You had to do this EVERY PLAYING SESSION and the effect would only last 3-4 hours (if lucky), after which you had to peel the rubber off and do it again. Presses were, I suppose, a way to simplify the process - you could perhaps glue at home, stick the rubber on the blade while still quasi-wet and put it in the press. By the time you got to the club it'd be stuck to the blade, and you'd keep the racket in the press when not playing to keep the edges from curling up. I suppose if you're using modern boosters it might still be of use - you could keep the racket in the press after boosting without having to wait so long for the dome to subside as much.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 19:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I know people who keep their bat in a press when not playing with it. I guess they figure its kept from warpng and better protected. Seems you'd be pressed for time doing up and undoing the press all the time :o

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.