OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 08:55 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
Does anyone notice a dropoff in a stroke after a few days of no/little practice of said stroke?

It is a recurring issue for me...I mainly practice against robot at home with some matches at work throughout the week.

If I don't practice looping against topspin for a day, but against backspin instead, then the next match I'll definitely do worse at looping against topspin. If I don't practice for a few days, then it'll be a disaster... ;(

Same with looping long serves that the guys at work love. I have to practice it a lot just to keep my level.

Also true for TPB, but can squeak by without practice for a few days. Pushing I never practice much and still do okay. I've been playing non-stop for two years.

If I only play on weekends like a lot of people do, I will likely drop at least 200 points...

It makes it hard to improve newer techniques like my RPB, or my weak loops against backspin, which are not nearly as important at work, but necessary to have a chance against stronger opponents at the club. (On a side note, these venues feel like completely different games anyway, but one is not necessarily easier than the other. At work the tempo of play is often faster due to lack of backspin.)

It sounds a bit like a bad pingpong student - I have to cram before an exam (match) to do decent. :lol: I wonder if this has anything to do with talent (I don't think my drive is lacking)...I'm probably a bit below average athletically, but TT-specifically, (I'd like to think) I'm at least average.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 10:24 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Haven't gained muscle memory yet?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 11:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes, as you progress and fine-tune your strokes, your form and level will depend less on practice. Of course we all need regular practice to maintain form & reflexes, but it should no longer be as dramatic as you describe.
It's very hard to judge one's level from day to day, we all have good and bad days...and your level can really only be determined over time.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 13:06 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
Thanks for the perspectives.

I did not think of "depends less on practice as you progress" - but I definitely trust your opinion. It makes sense.

My looping is the 2-year old technique and I'm still working on fine tuning the stroke, so it has more variation from day to day. I have TPB'ed for 20+ years but only correctly for 2... Interestingly, I never watch any videos about pushing per se, but I guess the speed is slow enough to not require much practice.

I do believe I have muscle memory, but as haggisv mentioned it's more about reflexes and 'conditioning' is the word I'd use. Having the right tension in the legs/arms etc. is needed to execute the stroke in match situations. If I improve my looping technique though, probably it will allow more room for adjustment even when my reflex isn't as quick at a particular moment.

I realized that confidence gained from practice or recent matches also plays a big part for me personally.

And good reminder about one's level from day to day. I play 2, sometimes 3 doubles matches at work sometimes, and these depend a lot on factors other than myself. Basically I don't have a lot of room to recover my mental side if I do poorly at first. If I look at results where I play 8+ matches a day it's pretty consistent.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 13:34 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I'd argue that 'muscle memory' IS your reflex/conditioning...