OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 20:54 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
fun thread :)

Debater wrote:
1. serving
  • Can I catch the opponent out and win a point direct, or do I just need to get into the rally?
  • What have they struggled with in the past?
  • Which serve will allow me to get the point I want, e.g. short backspin to stop deadly attacks; long backspin to encourage chopping rally; variations of topspin to initiate a third-ball attack

Debater wrote:
2. returning serve
  • PANIC
  • What serve is coming, how do I return it?
  • If I can control the return, which to be fair I often can't, where can I best place the ball to stop my opponent from playing an attacking stroke that's too strong?
  • If the time is right, attack - either side

Debater wrote:
3. pushing
  • PANIC
  • Get it long, get enough backspin on the ball... but most importantly these days, keep it on the table and over the net
  • Get ready to move away from the table after push
  • ... whilst simultaneously being ready to push again and be consistent/patient with pushing
  • ... whilst simultaneously looking out for a ball that I can loop to win
  • Push it where you want to dictate the next stroke, e.g. go wide to their forehand to encourage a forehand loop cross-court to my forehand

Debater wrote:
4. blocking
No thoughts here - I only ever block if I'm caught out of position

Debater wrote:
5. top spin driving
  • Always just about "penetration", e.g. where can I place the ball that will give me the best chance of either winning the point or receiving a weaker block that can be killed
  • Spin or speed, depending on the incoming ball
  • Recover

Debater wrote:
6. chopping
  • GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Recover

Usually my chops are good enough that if I get the ball on the table, even half-decent opponents won't be able to angle/lash the ball past me. It's getting the ball on the table that can prove difficult.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 21:41 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
When I'm playing any shot, this is always playing on loop in my head:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 21:43 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Japsican wrote:
When I'm playing any shot, this is always playing on loop in my head:

Nice footwork!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 21:54 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Debater wrote:
1. serving
Don't Fault stupid. Then I think, do I want to attack the next ball, chop it, or win the point. Then I think "if he returns my next serve, what will I likely get back? How do I plan on returning the ball? After the serve I try to take a second between points to assess the which serves worked best and why.

2. returning serve -
if it's long do I attack? if it's short, where do I want to place it, and what kind of return do I want to get back. Long if I want a chopping rally. Short if I want to attack or if I want to avoid an attack.

3. pushing -
how much spin. should I use the pips? Placement.

4. blocking -
Get it on the table, try to block where he isn't.

5. top spin driving -
don't whiff stupid. If I'm going to give up my defensive advantage, then the top spin better be a sure thing.
and if you do it

6. chopping -
Relax, control, get it on the table, start with the paddle high, get in rhythm. Place it where your opponent doesn't want it. Avoid the middle because the angle options are greater. Watch the opponent and predict where the next loop is likely to go. And very important to me: assess if there is sidespin, and compensate for it. I find placement of chops is thwarted by heavy side on loops more than most things with grippier pips or inverted. With slick pips, this is less of an issue.

7. lobbing -
Same as chopping, relax, get it on the table, and be ready to transition to chopping.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 11:44 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
What is going to be in my opponent's head when they play their next shot.

One of the ways that I play opponents is to wear them down mentally. They line up for their shot (say a loop) and they have missed a few. Will I miss this one? Does it have the same spin as last time? Does it have any spin on it? It's taking so long to get to my hitting zone I have too much time to think about it, or conversely oops it just skidded through so I have to rush my shot, or it's drifted in too close to do what I wanted to do or too far away so my shot is weaker...

Most of the time, I just play my shot. If I have to think too much about what I am about to do, I will probably miss, which is why I suck at putting away high balls in an orthodox manner - I miss a lot of such smashes. I much prefer to hit an "interesting" shot in that situation - chop smash if high enough, or drop shot or just sidespin crap out of it and leave the opponent to work out what to do, again.