OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Strategy for choppers
PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 13:23 

As a fundamental basic, do chopperse have to outlast opponents?
Are there choppers that purposely chop higher and spinner, have sharper pushes, play wayyy risker with their chops and pushes and have rallies that last way less than lets say 10 shot per rally?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 17:33 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
At the higher levels that's impossible because the attacker is able to continue his attacks. At the lower levels: yes, it is possible. I do it when I feel I can't defend the opponent's attacks. That way you put pressure on the attacker, resulting in mistakes on his/her side.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 22:45 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
You probably know this but I'll type it because other visitors might not. There are 2 types of choppers, "Modern Defenders" and "Classic Defenders." Both generally speaking, attempt to keep chops low and long. But do they need to "outlast" their opponents? Depends.

"Modern defenders" are trying to set up offense and will attack often. So, for modern defense the answer is "no", they are not solely trying to outlast their opponents at all.

"Classic Defenders" (those who chop more than attack by a wide margin) on the other hand, the answer is "kind of." However, what one may perceive as "outlasting" they would say is calculated. They are actively placing, twiddling, and varying spin in order to confuse opponents or force an error. They will only pick hit and attack balls that are sure-fire winners. Understand that spin variation is still a form of imposition, meaning they are actively trying to end the point, just not with attacks. However, the idea that they are "outlasting" their opponents is probably more apropos when speaking of classic choppers.

Chtchetinine (a classic chopper) will upon occasion chop high on the forehand because he is mixing his chops. He has a side spin FH chop and he varies height and spin. It's breathtaking to watch. At first I thought he was chopping high because of the spin of the opponent, but then I saw him purposely do that against certain players that weren't necessarily that spinny. Also his practice videos reveal he does this on purpose sometimes. But even he will usually opt to keep it long and low. And lately, because of the new ball, he too is attacking far more often. Koji Matsushita was more classic chopper too, and he would occasionally chop high, and given his ilk, I'd say it was on purpose.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions