OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 00:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 12:59 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I see a lot of comments on forums that rather then buy a be blade, rubber, shoes etc, spend the same money on coaching and the rewards will be much greater.

Of course we all know that is true but at the same time, is it?

I think it depends on the individual. To make meaningful improvements, especially for adult players, which the majority of forum users are, it's dedication, bordering obsessiveness that is an essential ingredient to improvement.

One lesson will do little for the average player as they will go back to matches where their old habits will kick in. If someone doesn't have a real willingness to change, I dont even think a handful of lessons will make a difference. The mind has to be switched on to want to change.

So for the average player that is not going to be dedicated to improving I think that a nice new piece of be equipment is well worth it, regardless of result. For those at are keen to improve and prepared invest the time and do the work, coaching is where the money should be spent.

Last edited by Cobalt on 26 Jun 2018, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 13:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you want to play better, coaching for sure. If you're just interested in satisfying your curiousity about all this idiocy about equipment you keep reading about, then, of course, buy equipment... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 13:16 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
For beginners to intermediate maybe so...

But for intermediate to advance player even one session could do wonders. I've seen this first hand with a fellow club mates. Just an hour spent with a good coach he immediately made a big improvement, which has lasted almost a month since so far.

I've also seen a club mate who spent years with a coach and don't make major improvement. We used the same coach, I've starting to win against him after about a year of coaching (he had been coached 2-3 years before me and he was one level above me in the club).

But, you're right. If not committed to do the work for improvement, paying for coach is almost as a waste as buying rubbers. At least the rubbers could be resold for some money... Another reason why I prefer to buy blades primarily instead of rubbers.

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 13:22 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

See, what it comes down to is a bit of human nature.

Buying equipment and making changes give you that "Instant fix" and chemicals zoop into your brain and make you feel good the moment you try it. It's either fantastic or terrible.

This is why so many talk about equipment being the first port of call to "get better" so to speak - because you feel it straight away, (even if it is a bit of an illusions) it's seen as something that can help you quicker.

I agree however that coaching 100% is better for improvement, particularly from an intermediate level up. I've had a 30 minute session with learning players and they've then gone and played spectacularly well straight afterwards just with a few tweaks. It just doesn't satisfy that part of our nature that begs for instant release. It's generally a far slower, more gradual improvement.

Also - sometimes when you're first getting coaching. you LOSE more! what is with that? Those experienced players know and understand to learn a new thing, it's a common thing to get worse while you're adjusting before you get better. Sure doesn't feel that way if you'd not had coaching before however - especially with how good that Tenergy felt. :rofl:

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 15:06 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Equipment could provide a more immediate benefit, depending on the type and condition of existing equipment. Coaching probably has more long term potential but may not provide much of a benefit unless it’s quickly followed up with regular practice.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 18:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Unless current equipment is really foul (i.e. Wal-mart bat or a 15-year old bat with hard, dead rubber) I can't see new equipment providing much of a boost. It might even hurt if it means a Sardius with Tenergy 05... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 18:49 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Dusty054 wrote:
Equipment could provide a more immediate benefit, depending on the type and condition of existing equipment. Coaching probably has more long term potential but may not provide much of a benefit unless it’s quickly followed up with regular practice.

Respectfully disagree. 5 minutes coaching can quickly help someone learn how to return backspin with top spin and understand why and what it is they need to do so they can continue to apply this knowledge long after those 5 minutes with the coach. Equipment will never return the ball or understand these types of things.

If anything, equipment is the "1%" that can make a difference between two players of equal or similar ability but at a lower level, coaching wins out every time for me. Doesn't need to be formal coaching but an understanding of spin, the mechanics of playing the shot and the importance of bat angle at point of contact will help a player improve much more than simply changing equipment.

Last edited by Debater on 20 Jun 2018, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 18:51 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Coaches are like equipment. Find one that works for you.

CJ anyone?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 07:53 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Coaching.

Equipment once you are beyond crappy pre-mades can be gotten used to.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 10:40 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I think in an ideal world you would invest in Coaching as the major factor to your improvement and then appropriate equipment for the player next.

In my world, to get coaching now it's prohibitively expensive and inconvenient to get to. Add to this the selection of available coaches is not stellar... if there is even a choice to be had.

Add to that the motivations of a player, do they want to improve so hard to be No.1 or are they just there to have a good time?

For me, its all about what I feel is working and if I'm having fun playing. If getting a new rubber/blade/shoes/whatevs makes me feel good and I'm also having fun then that's all that I really care about now.

That said I was fortunate enough to get a lot of coaching as a junior which has served me very well and has kept me competitive as a player. So for me I find that this approach is the best in the time/cost/fun ratio.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 11:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
"Invest in X or Y?" But what is the objective of the person doing the investing here?

If you want to maximize your potential - then it's coaching, but it will require money AND time, and both might be scarce, depending on your situation.

If you are aiming at maximizing enjoyment (and I assume most people like playing with new toys) - then EJ away. Can be done on the cheap too, given proliferation of options to buy Chinese products online and bewildering variety of blades/rubbers out there.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 12:20 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Always be looking to improve your game & I do so by practise, trying new equipment when I get the chance (trying playing partners blades & rubbers) have coaching to remind you of your downfalls & how to change them. Searching YouTube for new serves & regularly checking the forum for all of the above.

Invest in what is needed when it is. :?: :clap: :rock: :up: 8)

See the ball, be the ball...