OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Would you let the other team win to allow them into the finals?
Yes, we would have let them win for the benefit of our club 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
No, we would try our hardest no matter the circumstances. 88%  88%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 23:57 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
iskandar taib wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
I think setting an example for the young players and the whole competition is important and will pay off in the future. You don't want anyone throwing matches in table tennis or life in general. Finals can be a big thing for some people. Got to earn it.

In my mind no doubt you did the right thing.

Table tennis (and sports in general) is one thing.. but life in general? I mean, there are many situations in life where it's of general benefit to let the other guy "win". For instance, letting someone merge into traffic ahead of you on a busy road.

Iskandar

Letting someone merge in to traffic ahead of you on a busy road isn't really about winning, it's about manners and flow of traffic.

It also depends how you define winning. To use your analogy, letting someone merge in to traffic ahead of you on a busy road is also about you winning yourself, you win because you feel good about yourself because you helped someone. By redefining the situation, it becomes a "win win" situation which is the ideal outcome.

In haggisv example, the key to me is as BRS said "If you would feel cheated, then it probably is not the right thing to do."
Would you feel cheated if you let someone out in to the traffic ahead of you? Or would you only feel cheated if you let them out and that person never thanked you?

Would you feel cheated if you found out another team threw a match to ensure "you didn't win" which is the reverse of wording it as "let my team mates win"? I would. Alternatively you could take the approach, if "we" won all our matches, it doesn't matter what any other team does, so let's take it out of their hands and win all our matches so this situation doesn't arise. Use the "fixed outcome" as motivation to improve and become better. In that case you have learned something so you are a winner in yourself.

Everyone has different morals and values. Each to their own.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 00:39 

if It is me on the team I would not try hardest to win against my club if my team has no chance to win and the other team from my club does have a chance. Even if my team wins we will not advance, so in my opinion it is best to maybe just play them in a challenging way but not winning against them, to let them advance.

It would make it a harder decision if some prize or rating points were on the line. Probably I would still prefer the other team to win. I wouldn't want to make it obvious that my team is throwing but maybe if I Know my opponent has trouble with a serve I will not do that serve, and tactics like that...

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 11:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Debater wrote:
Letting someone merge in to traffic ahead of you on a busy road isn't really about winning, it's about manners and flow of traffic.

It also depends how you define winning. To use your analogy, letting someone merge in to traffic ahead of you on a busy road is also about you winning yourself, you win because you feel good about yourself because you helped someone. By redefining the situation, it becomes a "win win" situation which is the ideal outcome.

In haggisv example, the key to me is as BRS said "If you would feel cheated, then it probably is not the right thing to do."
Would you feel cheated if you let someone out in to the traffic ahead of you? Or would you only feel cheated if you let them out and that person never thanked you?

Would you feel cheated if you found out another team threw a match to ensure "you didn't win" which is the reverse of wording it as "let my team mates win"? I would. Alternatively you could take the approach, if "we" won all our matches, it doesn't matter what any other team does, so let's take it out of their hands and win all our matches so this situation doesn't arise. Use the "fixed outcome" as motivation to improve and become better. In that case you have learned something so you are a winner in yourself.

Everyone has different morals and values. Each to their own.

That's what I meant. The part I objected to was that this "applied to life in general". Sports isn't a good analogy for life in general. "Winning" isn't everything, or even the objective, in many of life's situations.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!