OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Would you let the other team win to allow them into the finals?
Yes, we would have let them win for the benefit of our club 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
No, we would try our hardest no matter the circumstances. 88%  88%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 10:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
We faced a moral dilemma last night. Our club has 2 teams in the grade I play in, and we played each other in the final round.
My team won't make the finals this year, but our other team could make the finals if they beat us. :( :( :(

All the players in the grade are good friends, and club loyalty is very strong. So the thought crossed all of our minds on whether we should not try so hard... allowing our other team to make the finals.

We decided that it would be poor sportsmanship if we didn't try our hardest like we normally do. We ended up winning, so neither team will make the finals. Last year both our teams made the finals, and ended up playing in the Grand Final.

So yes we put sportsmanship over club loyalty... and certainly the other team didn't hold this against us... but we can't help feeling a little bad about winning, and denying the club another chance at the flag for the top grade. :( :( :(

What would you have done?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 10:17 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Play to win.

Teams and team mates come and go. This was a one year tournament. In 5 years you might not even recognise these players let alone be friends with them. You could have moved area. In 5 years, you would still know yourself if you tried or not.

Having respect for myself, a recognition that this was a competition and therefore played to be won, they would be my driving motivators. For me it's not about sportsmanship, it's about having respect for yourself. The consequence of having that respect is sportsmanship wins out.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 10:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

A handy shortcut for decisions like this one is to think about how you would feel if you were on a different team that lost a place in the finals because your club fixed the last match.

If you would feel cheated, then it probably is not the right thing to do.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 11:10 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

We have that happen a fair bit up here! Similar circumstance happened and we compromised: we would try our best (as the team that wouldn't make the final) but would try new rubber or things, and relax in the doubles component. Singles was anyones games and if we won, so be it.

Worked out :-)

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 11:45 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Our local competition tries to have it that 2 teams from the same club don't play each other towards the end of the regular competition. This helps both those who would otherwise be tempted and also those who would not otherwise be tempted.

We also have a round robin top 5 tournament for each division, and similarly have players from the same club play each other in the first round of it.

Personally, in competition I play to win and encourage my team mates to do so as well.

Results being posted to Ratings Central also helps unless sandbagging is in play on top of club loyalty.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 16:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Remember "Team Orders" in Formula One? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 20:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks guys, I feel better now! :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 00:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If you let them win, they may have been "softened" for the experience for the final, doing them no favours. If they won on their own merit, then they'd have gone into the final knowing their form was as good as can be. Losing means it just wasn't meant to be.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 00:42 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Always play to win. Otherwise, even if they win on the finals it's a manufactured victory, and less authentic. I'd rather not make it and know my wins were all genuine than go to the championships knowing we had some help. I find no honor in manufactured victories. I also understand this is influenced by culture.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 06:36 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
It seems like I'm the strange duck here. It depends if it would be beneficial or disadvantageous for myself ranking wise. If neither I'd let the opponent win.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 08:15 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I think setting an example for the young players and the whole competition is important and will pay off in the future. You don't want anyone throwing matches in table tennis or life in general. Finals can be a big thing for some people. Got to earn it.

In my mind no doubt you did the right thing.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 11:38 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
We faced a moral dilemma last night.
This is interesting. Even more interesting is that the majority are taking the "sportsmanship" option. I wonder what the results would be if we posed an alternative "moral dilemma": sportsmanship vs doctoring rubber/sponge?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 11:57 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Go ahead!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 12:42 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cobalt wrote:
I think setting an example for the young players and the whole competition is important and will pay off in the future. You don't want anyone throwing matches in table tennis or life in general. Finals can be a big thing for some people. Got to earn it.

In my mind no doubt you did the right thing.

Table tennis (and sports in general) is one thing.. but life in general? I mean, there are many situations in life where it's of general benefit to let the other guy "win". For instance, letting someone merge into traffic ahead of you on a busy road.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 13:26 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Yes, I completely agree Iskandar and thanks for raising it. I guess I was taking a narrow view about things like trying your best, integrity, earning what you get etc however on the other side there could as many other lessons such as helping and supporting others, sharing etc.

I'd hate to see my oldest son always beat my youngest without ever letting him win (there's a 6 year age difference). Equally in say business in a sales role it can be good thing to share things around for the benefit of others and morale of the team. Having said that in that case there can be all those other counter arguments too. I do happen to be one of those that lets the traffic in and thats a great example.