OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 04:11 

Hou Yingchao won the 10k first prize at the LA Open yesterday. He steam rolled Ma Jinbao 11-3, 11-4, 11-5, 11-7.

Which leads me to ponder, "How many LA Opens and US Opens will need to be won by choppers before I have to stop hearing the tired old line, 'Once you put pips on your students paddle, you are really limiting their potential. Blah blah blah etc.' ?"

Attachments:
40683968_710972899241289_5846525872357507072_n.jpg
40683968_710972899241289_5846525872357507072_n.jpg [ 98.93 KiB | Viewed 2235 times ]

Last edited by alphapong on 04 Sep 2018, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 04:18 

Final starts at 6:17:

https://youtu.be/fl7LfSwZViw?t=6h17m8s

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 06:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
alphapong wrote:

Quarters against Apolonia starts at 1:23

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 07:35 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
How old is that guy ?

Best USA players can't beat him.

His 4h looks unorthodox but consistent.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 13:06 

Hou Yingchao is 38.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 15:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for posting alphapong :up: :up: :up:

Someone wasn't happy about this event, see this post from mytt (http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... =1#1036995)

topspinschuss wrote:
LA Open was an embarrassment for US table tennis
Played the LA open this weekend for the second time after the very first LA Open in 2011. What an embarrassment for US table tennis...the venue looked like a cave due to the completely insufficient lighting. It was very hard to even see the ball. No air-conditioning made the cave into a sauna, so they opened up doors and gates and ran some giant fans, which did....nothing. I shouldn't say nothing because they DID affect the trajectory of balls nearby. And to think that the USATT chose this venue to also hold their national adult ranking tournament a few days earlier is unfathomable to me. Do they actually check out a place before making such decisions? That's so amateurish.

When you arrived there and wanted to drive into the the usually FREE parking lot that belongs to the gym, you were greeted by random people in orange T-shirts who set up make-shift cones to separate the "VIP" parking from normal parking asking you to cough up $10 for parking. This was mentioned absolutely NOWHERE in the tournament flyer or when you signed up. At least the guy was nice enough to tell me where I could find free street parking when I urged him to. But really? You're trying to make money by squeezing another $10 from unsuspecting tournament participants, who have not much choice but to park there? How low can you go?

When you walked into the venue you *really* thought you're walking into a surreal dream....and as we know dreams always have very low light and everything is fuzzy...like the LA Open. Ok...weird enough...so I was going to play in a cave for the first time in my life. How could a FOUR star tournament that is giving out 40 grand in prize money rent a CAVE and invite world class players and players from all over the country to "admire" the darkness of the sauna-cave? (I really can't get over how dark it was). Did I mention that the sheets of insulation (looked like aluminum foil) were peeling off of the inside of the ceiling and hanging down loosely? Also, somehow a 4 Star tournament wasn't able to find enough barriers so that they set up barriers in many parts of the venue with giant gaps (one to three feet) in between them where the balls conveniently traveled through more often than not. Some areas had no barriers at all.

When your event finally started after VERY long delays you found out that only ONE person advances from groups of FOUR people. Let me point out that this wasn't "advertised" anywhere either. I think it's a total rip off to let people travel from all over the state and country, make them pay an unbelievable $53 (including admin fee) per event (probably the most expensive non-national, non-team, non US-Open tournament) in the country.

But apparently getting rid of 3/4th of all participants in the round robin wasn't enough to prevent multi-hour delays. People had to wait HOURS to play their first match after the round robin...and some people had to wait hours before their round robin even started. Why??? I'll tell you why...because they had to get rid of a shitload of tables so they could set up two giant areas for the Open quarterfinals and seating and the "VIP" seats (a bunch of plastic chair separated by a yellow "crime scene" type of tape from the "common" people sitting literally in breathing distance behind them). Not that I saw more than 2.5 VIP guests anyway..... If you want to invite some good players and let them duke it out...then set up a pro tournament...don't do it at all costs at a 4 star tournament with over 400 players and delay the heck out of their events. Due to the delays it seems like many events didn't even finish fully on Sunday night or people just left because it was literally too late (I left at around 9PM and several events were still going on). You can see in the results on Omnipong that there are lots of "defaults" in the finals of several events.

Did I mention that inside the *same* gym were two giant areas meant for soccer games and practice and that there were teams PRACTICING loudly WHILE there was a 4 Star tournament going on? Ok...now you know.

Finally...this is another one of those "brilliant" tournaments that decides to CHARGE people to even come and look because, you know, table tennis is already soooo popular and people are running down our doors to play and watch the games. We would do everything to open up access for possible spectators, NOT take away incentive by charging them money. Ridiculous (the USATT does that too at the US OPEN and US Naitionals...which is equally dumb and ridiculous).

Even though the first LA Open was ridiculous and comical with its interruptions for singing and dancing shows and their attempts to save money by turning on the air con only periodically and instead using giant ceiling fans (which could affect the trajectory of the ball) which did nothing to cool down that hothouse, it at least didn't take place inside a cave with the ceiling falling apart and with a soccer training/match going on at the same time (they weren't even separated by walls or solid barriers from the table tennis tournament...just a net "separating" them from us...but with giant holes in the net so that our table tennis balls kept going over to their side (and we had to get their attention to get the balls back).

No wonder table tennis is going nowhere in the US as far as popularity in the eyes of the general public goes...(and international visitors from countries with better organized table tennis associations and tournaments shake their heads in disbelief.)

Unless things change drastically I won't be going to the LA Open again, and many others I know think the same.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 16:31 

I saw that post as well. Our players are not back till tomorrow, so I have not had a chance to ask about the venue. The venue certainly did not hurt our results, as we got gold and silver in the U15 and gold and bronze in the U18.

Some of what he goes on about seems a bit silly. Four player groups with one advancing is standard at many US tournaments.

I suspect the parking may have set him off on his rant, but I will know better tomorrow.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 02:47 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:
How old is that guy ?

Best USA players can't beat him.

His 4h looks unorthodox but consistent.

Perhaps this isn't want you meant but it sure does sound like you're saying "How could anybody from the US not beat this guy? He's old & washed up."

Simply not true.

But yes. Nobody could beat him which included USA penholder Tao Wenzhang who is USATT 2801.

If that's not impressive enough for you, Hou also beat world class player Tiago Apolonia from Portugal along the way.

Long story short, Hou's a former CNT member for no reason and his slow down the pace of play style suits him nicely for being able to play at a high level well past his physical prime years.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 14:32 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Hou defeated the other finalist so bad he made him look like a 1200 USATT rated boy playing a 2500 USATT rated grown man player. That is what the difference in class of 100 USAT rating points at the top level. That represents maybe 4-5 levels at that top level, but represents only 1 level at 1900 or below levels.

That is remarkable as the other finalist would rip a new one outta just about anyone other amateur player in USA. Hou did absolutely whatever he wanted to do. I was right there when the finalist walked off the court... we had to remind him that his $5000 prize was waiting for him over there... He wasn't even thinking of that... just the effect of the smackdown he just got. Well, he has given it to others like a pro, he took one on the chin like a pro.

Hou would chop a ball heavy and shoulder high deep near endline inviting him to attack strong... which he did... or TRIED... and the attack didn't even make it halfway to the net. He would look at his bat and go WTF !!! ??? !!! A 2800 USATT player befuddled like that !!
Hou would get tired of pushing the ball around and unleash that FH rocket. One second later you hear the sonic boom and see a 40.5mm hole on the wall 100 feet away. The only evidence of the shot was the vapor trail and IR heat signature.

Ironically, last year I was at the LA Open and saw our beloved Joo Se Hyuk tear Hou a new on in the Open final. Hou was sweating his azz off by the second game, while Joo just goes to his towel in the towel break and pats his hand lightly on the towel and yawns. Hou was running all over the place to get a chop in or step around for an attack... or get to a Joo SH attack... Joo SH simply glided to the ball and did what he does best. Joo casually BH Biatch-slapped Hous best FH rocket booster shots several times with his BACKHAND LP (BH LP !!!!!!) from 4 meters back (13 freegin' feet back !!!) for winners while walking away with a disinterested look like Waldner did to Timo Boll with his famous blocks.

I made my own rant on MyTT if you call it that, I just noted what I saw and what I concluded.

I do not intent to bring the rant here to OOAK, even though HaggisV is long well known for not being adverse to a little mixing it up here or there for spice. :D

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 15:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Der_Echte wrote:
I do not intent to bring the rant here to OOAK, even though HaggisV is long well known for not being adverse to a little mixing it up here or there for spice. :D

I thought your 'rant' there was very good... nothing wrong with that, you were just stating the facts. :up:

It does sound like the organisers didn't do right by the players, and I think that deserves to be posted... and hopefully they'll take note for next time.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018, 15:13 

alphapong wrote:
I saw that post as well. Our players are not back till tomorrow, so I have not had a chance to ask about the venue. The venue certainly did not hurt our results, as we got gold and silver in the U15 and gold and bronze in the U18.

Some of what he goes on about seems a bit silly. Four player groups with one advancing is standard at many US tournaments.

I suspect the parking may have set him off on his rant, but I will know better tomorrow.

I personally think it was the fact that the USA National Team Trials were held in such obvious terrible conditions certainly not fit for any tourney, let alone the national tryouts... that there were MANY OBVIOUS AGGREGEOUS PREVENTABLE poor conditions existing making it look like Keystone Cops ... that the tourney never should have been sanctioned in the first place for several reasons. (average 200 lux everywhere, not 300 minimum for zero star - 600 lux required on showcase tables for 3 start & above, but only 220 at best on showcase table) ... that despite this, the LA Open marketed the venue as modern (implying it was fit for a TT tourney)

The appearance of a money grab, in addition to the obvious poor conditions and marketing fraud making the apearance of our national tryouts look like a 5th world country not knowing how to hold a tourney is likely what really got his goat... but you gotta ask him.

I had a blast at the touney and for the first in a long time, shut out conditions and played TT. I would go back next year, but how the tryouts (and tourney venue) conditions were... that simply has to get fixed time now or the event, and others like it will lose players (and revenue).

Personally, the paragrah above is what got it for me. Why market the tourney as so modern & fit for a tourney when it was so crappy conditions that it should have never been sanctioned in the first place? Yeah, this was our National Tryouts (and a prestigious major USA tourney) and the TT world saw it... and knows how much we in USA got our head stuck up our tail.

I would have been just fine for all the obvious money grabbing (not allowing outside water inside. Selling tiny .5L bottles of water for $1 USD Heck, you gotta drink 20 of those every day there, what is $20 USD a day? $10 USD for a parking spot every day 3 days. $15 for a towel that falls apart leaving black and blue threads all over your face... but does a bang-up job of hiding your wrinkle lines...)

I woulda been just fine if they had small signs next to what they were selling reminding us that it costs money to attract pros to a USA Tourney and pay them 2x or 3x what they would earn for winning an ITTF proevent... LATTA was trying to go big and make the sport big... I get that and they oughta get big applause for having the guts to try... but they and USATT outta hear it for how crappy they planned, executed, and marketed the whole shebang.

EDIT: There were DOZENS of LATTA (volunteers I believe) doing all manner of unthankful work for over 16 hours a day x3 or 4 days... plus the TD staff... the USATT Media folks (MH TT & Co) and parents/coaches doing all manner of stuff to make it a blast regardless.

Alphapong... the venue did not hurt my results at all either... and I am damned notorious for simply loising it when conditions are like that. Kudos to your Warriors who shut up, played TT, and fought better than their opponents. That was a winning formula for me too... until I faced much better players who could do that too. It was probably my best tourney performance as well. As a fat/50yr old dude, I played all out for 5, 11, 10, and 7 hours and did not get sore or cramp up... I took care of hydration and mineralization... but a few others didn't and paid a price. A small investment in Magnesium/Zinc/Calcium... and low sugar 1000 mg Vita C/electrolyte powder went a long way.

SO.. I have no gripe with how I played given the bad conditions, but we as TT players and members of the TT community have a responsibility to raise a royal ruckas over the obvious mishaps that should never happen and demand/take decisive action to make them right forever. Our National Tryouts deserve conditions that are at a minimum the standards listed in the USATT Tourney guide and sanctioning checklist. We in USA blew it in front of the world and need to get it right... now.

One player advancing out of four at a large tourney is the norm for most singles RR groups I have played in, but some DO advance two players. I really wish only one player advanced... I won my O50 RR group 2-0... then had to face the same player again in finals and didn't quite make it. Congrats to Jim Zhang. Pip Power dude (Even if a much lower rated fat dude ate your pips for one match) Actually, I am glad they advance 2 players out of O50... I got another chance at glory. I think they advanced 2 out of group if there were only 8 groups or less.

Charging over $100 USD to get in the Open made for a very small number of groups, so I heard 2 advanced out of group for the Open RR as well.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 04:23 

I was told that the netting in between the table tennis and soccer kept "most" of the soccer balls out of the table tennis courts. :(

Attachments:
venue.jpg
venue.jpg [ 87.88 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 01:49 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
alphapong wrote:
I was told that the netting in between the table tennis and soccer kept "most" of the soccer balls out of the table tennis courts. :(

:D :headbang:

That looks ridiculous...

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 02:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Der_Echte wrote:
I had a blast at the touney and for the first in a long time, shut out conditions and played TT. I would go back next year, but how the tryouts (and tourney venue) conditions were... that simply has to get fixed time now or the event, and others like it will lose players (and revenue).

....Selling tiny .5L bottles of water for $1 USD Heck, you gotta drink 20 of those every day there, what is $20 USD a day?

Part highlighted in bold directly contradicts the underlined one :). As long as people keep coming back, there is no strong incentive to change.

500ml water bottles for 1$ are actually a bargain, IMHO, that's what I pay in my club. I'm much more used to ~3$ water bottles at major tournaments: Open, Nationals, Teams etc. They did not stop you from bringing yours in, though.

Darkness, glare, white walls, loud soccer match next to my table, and forced 10$ parking fee with other good stuff would set me off as well, though.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 10:34 

Nah, I already said I was willing to go back for a major LA tourney... I did hear MANY players say they will never come back if it is like this. They said it with conviction.

If we see a written plan to address the errors/incompetence/willing misleading of this tourneys and all sanctioned tourneys that ensures standards are enforced, it will be great.

The USATT Tourney Guide.... that is one nice document. Spells out just about anything one could think of in easy to understand terms with many real life examples. That pdf from the USATT rules page is a must read for every USA TT player for insight on how a tourney is supposed to be sanctioned and run. Players need to know the stuff in the pdf before talking, so they can talk effectively to whoever.

USATT has established, understandable and enforceable rules in that Tourney Guide. What they don't have is a system to enforce it. I hope the result of our bad experiences motivates our natl assn to get right and stay right.

We pay the natl association and the club/assn a lot of money to participate in sanctioned tourneys. We would expect the venue and execution of the tourney to be done to at least minimum standards in the tourney guide. When the venues and execution of tourneys are bad, you get negative word of mouth... and USATT depends on us members going to tourneys to raise money for the few top amateurs to do a couple stuff. We will never grow membership that way.

Establishing enforcement of a consistent, minimally high standard enforced everywhere will raise standards of play across the board and make for a consistent positive tourney experience... which gets told by word of mouth to the rec center champs, then the basement champs, then the social rec players... and if USATT ever could get a USATT membership form and a printed magazine of amateur TT in USA showing the game and where to play... then put one of each in every one of the 250,000 - 300,000 TT tables sold in USA... they might get 2% to actually become members... and after a decade, we might have another 50,000 to 60,000 USATT members... which would give the assn enough money to build a national training center (with contribution from other govt like USOC) and fly everyone to the proper venue for a tryout....

Then you might get some equality in the sport. As it is now, unless the parents have a lot of money to burn (think 250,000 USD for a decade minimum) then only the elite rich can play the sport. With another 50-60 k of dues paying members, we could do some stuff both for the average members and for the hope of the nation - the young skilled players.

Don't credit me for any of these alien ideas, these are just a few of what I overheard at the tourney and though were worth repeating.