OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: My setup weighs 205g
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 11:44 

I'm thinking of changing blades because the Hurricane Long 5 has a terrible handle, it's too thin and makes the head of the racket super heavy. Currently Im using the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange on FH (heaviest rubber I've ever used GEEZ), and Hurricane 2 Neo on BH. I'm thinking of getting the W968 (national version of Hurricane Long 5) which has a much thicker handle which will make the head less heavy and be more balanced in weight between the handle and head, which I also believe will improve my reset speed and increase my acceleration speed on strokes. (I'm definitely gonna stop using the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange after it dies and go back to Hurricane 3 Neo boosted). I'm also very open to trying other tacky Chinese rubbers which are light weight and similar power as Hurricane 3 Neo boosted.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: My setup weighs 205g
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 13:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Way too heavy. Aim for 180g. My paddles weigh between 150-160g. Heavy paddles slow hand speed, increase fatigue, and increase the possibility of injury.

Everything adds up: Blade, rubbers, glue (yes!), edge tape (yes!), added grips. Invest in an inexpensive digital gram scale and acquaint yourself with the Rubber Mass Database thread on this site to get an idea of the wide range of grams per square centimeter that different rubbers have. Also keep in mind that head size matters, as does balance (head-heavy paddles maneuver slower than handle-heavy paddles).

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 20:58 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
nathanso wrote:
Way too heavy. Aim for 180g. My paddles weigh between 150-160g. Heavy paddles slow hand speed, increase fatigue, and increase the possibility of injury.

Everything adds up: Blade, rubbers, glue (yes!), edge tape (yes!), added grips. Invest in an inexpensive digital gram scale and acquaint yourself with the Rubber Mass Database thread on this site to get an idea of the wide range of grams per square centimeter that different rubbers have. Also keep in mind that head size matters, as does balance (head-heavy paddles maneuver slower than handle-heavy paddles).

Well, I am agree for half of this post.

You could use golf lead tape or anything heavy to add weight on handle "butt", beneath grip tape. That would counter balancing the rubber weight. :)

but, 200 g is actually quite light, except if your grip is "fingery". Your wife frying pan, including Your family meals, could easily weight 2000 g. :P

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018, 11:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've never understood this "balancing" business. It adds weight to the whole thing, which means there's more weight to accelerate which means less racket head speed. And why would bringing the racket's center of gravity closer to the handle help? If you use that "whip" technique Brett talks about (the secret to super spinny serves), then you WANT a heavy head.

Iskandar