OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 02:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Gtsnake wrote:
man_iii wrote:
auzcar wrote:
Well the number of balls that would brake when hitting the net would be quite substancial. If I would really go for a FH attack and hit the edge of something hard I can't imagine the ball wouldn't brake, and I'm definitely not a pro. Sure you can round the edges but still...

There's always a degree of luck and randomness in sports, it's just part of it. Despite what people might like to believe a table tennis match is almost never decided on luck, no matter how much that excuse is used and thrown around. You can argue that if it happens on the match point it's the deciding point but it's still only one point. My point (pun intended) is that a better player will never loose to a worse player because of bad luck... At least I've never seen it happen during my 15 years in this sport.

You gotta be kidding! How many times has a game / match gone the other way simply becos of Edge points / Net points!!!

It is waaaaay more common than you can imagine. Better players can lose just becos of the "luck" point going the other way.

Change my view ! :-D :lol:

I would argue that I've seen and played in many games where the end result changed due to a net ball. These all happened on the last point. That's the point of the post is to remove that element of chance so the better player would/should win.

If the other player is better, why does the worser player have a match point for a net ball to end it? For that matter, if we know who is better and want to ensure they win, why are we playing a match? Could save a lot of time.

This thread sounds like somebody got beat, blamed it on nets and edges, and wants to fundamentally change the whole game so it never happens to them again. We have all been there and feel your pain.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 05:06 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
BRS wrote:

More than half the time balls that clip the net end up going long off the table.

Yep, was responding to edges

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 02:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Der_Echte wrote:
On a serious note, Germany has many outdoor concrete tables with metal nets... they work fine when it isnt rainy, windy, or freezing...

Some years ago I spent a few months in Holland on sabbatical, and there were a couple of these tables in the outdoor courtyard in front of the Vrije Uninersitaet on the south side of Amsterdam. I don't think I ever saw anyone ever use them. There's a reason why there are so many windmills in Holland! Maybe you could devise a game using paddleball or pickleball rackets and a (American - the British ones don't bounce!) squash ball, or maybe even one of those superballs. Just stand back 25 feet and loop away...

One problem with nets is most people don't set them up with enough string tension. There's a gauge you can buy, it weighs 100 grams and is supposed to hang from the middle of the net and not touch the table. And most cheap net sets (in particular those with the clothespin type clamps) aren't strong enough to hold that much tension. This is why we experience far more net dribbles in real life than we see when watching world class competition on YouTube.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 23:41 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I'm going to go against the grain here and side with the OP. I think the net is the worst part of TT. Yes every sport has randomness built in, but some more than others, and with TT, it's WAY more than others. There should be an effort to mitigate luck.

Darts, Jiu Jitsu, Sprinting, Marathons...these sports have almost no luck involved.

I think TT people are desperately afraid of change, and it's well founded because historically there have been awful decisions.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 23:43 

wilkinru wrote:
I ordered a new net, it was $4. It'll last me years. Not sure of the issue.
The issue is luck. Not durability so much. Also, with a plastic barrier, the height would never need measuring.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 23:45 

Retriever wrote:
A net is an integral part of the game.

She provides tension, but also accord.

She also needs a second post otherwise she becomes slack.

LOL. Very poetic! :lol:

Of course, a solid plastic barrier, if implemented, could also become a very integral part of the game. Just like reverse rubbers became integral. Or how larger balls became integral.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 23:50 

auzcar wrote:
Well the number of balls that would brake when hitting the net would be quite substancial. If I would really go for a FH attack and hit the edge of something hard I can't imagine the ball wouldn't brake, and I'm definitely not a pro. Sure you can round the edges but still...

There's always a degree of luck and randomness in sports, it's just part of it. Despite what people might like to believe a table tennis match is almost never decided on luck, no matter how much that excuse is used and thrown around. You can argue that if it happens on the match point it's the deciding point but it's still only one point. My point (pun intended) is that a better player will never loose to a worse player because of bad luck... At least I've never seen it happen during my 15 years in this sport.

Maybe, but if the levels of the players are almost identical, and the match is very close, the luck points play a huge role. It is in this case that reducing luck is valuable. And, I have defeated players twice my level because I got a lot of edges and nets. For some people, the frustration gets the better of them if it happens often enough and they begin to play angry. I would rather have a clean victory with none of that nonsense. During practice, I've played games were we decided nets and edges were a lost point. It was pretty fun that way actually.

Last edited by Japsican on 04 Jan 2019, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019, 23:57 

BRS wrote:

So it is not a guaranteed point at all. But nets do increase randomness a little bit. If you can't take any degree of randomness then maybe chess is a better game to choose than table tennis.

Chess... as well as Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Long distance running, sprinting, cycling, power lifting, darts, rock climbing, skiing, speed skating, boccia, MMA, snowboarding, Muay Thai, boxing...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 00:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Japsican wrote:
BRS wrote:

So it is not a guaranteed point at all. But nets do increase randomness a little bit. If you can't take any degree of randomness then maybe chess is a better game to choose than table tennis.

Chess... as well as Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Long distance running, sprinting, cycling, power lifting, darts, rock climbing, skiing, speed skating, boccia, MMA, snowboarding, Muay Thai, boxing...

There is an embedded assumption in this thread that if the ball dribbles over the net that's an automatic free point. And maybe if you are a chopper it is because you are so far back. But I get to at least half the net balls in matches.

Most players in warmup or drills or practice ignore the net balls and just start over. If people are going to do that they shouldn't be surprised when they can't get in for a net ball when it counts.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 02:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OK, so you want to get rid of the net. What sort of alternative would you suggest? :lol: Something that eliminates dribbles? But wouldn't you need SOMETHING to make shots a certain height? Or is this even necessary? Maybe no barrier at all, or a table gap? Or a "hard net"? If you use a gap, what happens when you get an "inside edge"? Maybe we should get rid of table edges too.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 17:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I’m sure that the ball manufacturers would love the introduction of a hard barrier.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 23:20 

BRS wrote:

There is an embedded assumption in this thread that if the ball dribbles over the net that's an automatic free point. And maybe if you are a chopper it is because you are so far back. But I get to at least half the net balls in matches.

Most players in warmup or drills or practice ignore the net balls and just start over. If people are going to do that they shouldn't be surprised when they can't get in for a net ball when it counts.

So, you're lucky 50% of the time because the spin on netted balls are pretty randomized. I actually attempted to drill this with my robot...even with the consistency of my robot in terms of pace and spin, the results are random.

Question: of those 50% you get back, how many of the returns are quality such that you don't get blasted on the next hit?

And yes, net dribblers are worse for choppers and players off the table.

Last edited by Japsican on 07 Jan 2019, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 23:22 

iskandar taib wrote:
OK, so you want to get rid of the net. What sort of alternative would you suggest? :lol: Something that eliminates dribbles? But wouldn't you need SOMETHING to make shots a certain height? Or is this even necessary? Maybe no barrier at all, or a table gap? Or a "hard net"? If you use a gap, what happens when you get an "inside edge"? Maybe we should get rid of table edges too.. :lol:

Iskandar

Who's proposing to get rid of a barrier? The OP spoke of a solid piece of plastic, that's a decent thought. You can't eliminate the luck completely, but I'm sure something can be engineered to mitigate it.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 19:17 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I would be OK with a solid plastic "net", especially for playing under poor lighting. I sometimes have a problem telling if the ball is in front of or behind the net :geek: , and a totally opaque barrier would stop that. And i don't see that it would be hugely different in normal play. On the other hand, not that important really.

Although for public free table tennis, normal nets are very cheap but constantly need replacing.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 05:26 
Super User

Funny that the OP posted this.

My cat loves to bat at balls when I'm practicing my serve. He gets excited and chews on the net. :( Now the net is ruined.

I'm currently on the lookout for a plastic stand or wood frame, not sure which that I can put there the height of a normal net.

At home I just use my table to practice against the robot only. It's not suitable space for actual play.