OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 11 Apr 2024, 06:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: small tourney upset
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 22:33 

Today was a doubles tournament here on base, and the gym always provides rackets since no one ever bring their own (except me). For the last month, they have used pips in surfaces.. nothing special, but still not completely crappy. Well today was the day that they decided to change ALL the paddles to pips out. Basically, everything that i had ever relied on to score with was taken away since no spin is going to be imparted... I can usually get a lot of points off spinny serves but not this time! I got a whopping TWO points off serves in EIGHT games! insanity.

Anyways, we came in 4th... whats worse is my partner wouldn't move from a stand still until the ball hit our side and then crossed the line. Then he would nearly dive (didn't hit it back either). I was playing crappy too, the ball would either fly into the net or just miss the edge. couldn't get it together.

The only other time I have played against someone with a pips-out paddle was a few weeks ago, and it literally too forever to score... never beat him too.

forgot to mention... the pips were short and hard, not any grip at all. the sponge was hard too

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 22:59 
Super User

Pips out is a difficult style to play when you rely too much on inverted for spin. Are they going to make you use their paddles from now on, or can you bring your own as long as it's pips out? If the latter, you can make yourself a very strong pips out paddle. From what you said, I gather that sponge is still allowed, in which case you have a large number of pips out rubbers that you can choose from, some of them still particularly grippy and spinny. If you're not a straight hitter, then it might work well to get a soft sponge to generate more spin. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 23:39 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I would throw a Korean style fit if some joker told me I had a choice of using shitty rec paddles or get out of the tourney!

BTW, welcome Andy, where are you at?

I drive an hour to Sheppard AFB to play 3 frictionless Long Pimple players once a week.

I would have a terrible time playing with such a rec paddle, almost as bad as a hardbat.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 08:03 

You can use any racket you want, but no one ever brings their own so they use the gym's. But yeah, I was standing there before it started with my jaw dropped like 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo' and sure enough..
i should build a pi(m)ped out racket for kicks, one more weapon in the arsenal.

Der-Echte I am stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa, but am deployed right now. So far the only ping pong place in tampa is about an hour away, but it's worth the drive :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 08:27 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I wouldn't sweat it too bad. That "Tourney" was probably the real TT equivilant of beer pong. Fighting Rec players to play by real TT rules is a losing proposition every time. The rec players feel you are being too much of a hard ass and such. Good luck getting any real TT over there. Even if you can find someone there to train with, everyone will demand you play matches and force either one of you to keep winning to stay on the table, then they will bitch about that as well. The only way you might train is to find a good partner willing to hit around midnight. I have been there and done that many a time deployed. I hope your floors aren't slippery like ice hockey and hope there aren't a parade of people walking in and out of you extra tiny playing area, and oh yeah, I hope no one is blasting a big screen TV at near maximum rock concert levels.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 09:18 

Der_Echte wrote:
I wouldn't sweat it too bad. That "Tourney" was probably the real TT equivilant of beer pong. Fighting Rec players to play by real TT rules is a losing proposition every time. The rec players feel you are being too much of a hard ass and such. Good luck getting any real TT over there. Even if you can find someone there to train with, everyone will demand you play matches and force either one of you to keep winning to stay on the table, then they will bitch about that as well. The only way you might train is to find a good partner willing to hit around midnight. I have been there and done that many a time deployed. I hope your floors aren't slippery like ice hockey and hope there aren't a parade of people walking in and out of you extra tiny playing area, and oh yeah, I hope no one is blasting a big screen TV at near maximum rock concert levels.

yep we typically play at night at aroun 1-2am for a couple hours. One day we played at 10am and sure enough people are justwalking all around the tables completely oblivious to the game at hand. And then everyone wants to pick up the ball for you and you get to see how uncoordinated most people are :D

The two tables at the gym are on a tiled floor, but the one at another warehouse is just smooth concrete and it's like playing on marbles. I did the splits a couple times there... it was challenging :)