OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 13:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's still always good to hear that people are getting a use out of the forum!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 16:21 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
mayoster wrote:
I don't post much cause I don't have many questions, and when I do there is already a post somehwere here already.

I wouldn't worry about this. Sometimes, especially with equipment reviews, the more people who agree and post that they agree, the more strength the review has. For example if one person and only one person said a particular rubber was fast - and I didn't know that person - I'd not pay too much attention. However, if a whole shed load of people have said the rubber is fast, I'm more likely to pay attention. As long as you don't repeat word for word what someone has said, but add your own personal experience to it, I'd always find your posts useful. Same goes for asking questions - everyone is slightly different, so if you make sure the question relates in someone way to your experience, it remains fresh.

Looking forward to reading more posts mayoster - and from others like yourself.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 21:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Debater wrote:
I wouldn't worry about this. Sometimes, especially with equipment reviews, the more people who agree and post that they agree, the more strength the review has. For example if one person and only one person said a particular rubber was fast - and I didn't know that person - I'd not pay too much attention. However, if a whole shed load of people have said the rubber is fast, I'm more likely to pay attention. As long as you don't repeat word for word what someone has said, but add your own personal experience to it, I'd always find your posts useful. Same goes for asking questions - everyone is slightly different, so if you make sure the question relates in someone way to your experience, it remains fresh.

Looking forward to reading more posts mayoster - and from others like yourself.

Well said Debater! :thumleft: :thumleft:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 23:59 

This thread seemed to have worked to get people posting. I havent posted since last May, just got out of the habit with only 10, the lowest on this thread. Cant remember why I stopped looking at OOAK. On other forums I can post 10 a day, without any trouble.

Hot glued and hair drier

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 00:16 
The Artist
The Artist

Well, you are back now, Barry. Welcome again :)

If you find any interesting topics to post in, please don't hold back ;)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 18:23 

Agree with Barry White.

As for myself, I have been here awhile now, and I am also registered on the other table tennis forums. My last visit here was on Oct 26th 2009 where I was researching something about pis-out rubber.

I do agree that by just asking questions will most probably makes a good topic starter, and gets the ball rolling.

One main reason that I can think of why most people dont post is that this forum is perceived (in my opinion) is mainly a long pimple community and the majority of the people don't use it, therefore like to read up on how it works or so on, but not participate in it due to not-knowledgable on the matters at hand.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 19:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

729 fx wrote:
One main reason that I can think of why most people dont post is that this forum is perceived (in my opinion) is mainly a long pimple community and the majority of the people don't use it, therefore like to read up on how it works or so on, but not participate in it due to not-knowledgable on the matters at hand.

Welcome back 729 FX!

I think you're right, that perception is there to some extent. No doubt we do have a larger percentage of pips/anti players than any other forum, but the majority of our members is still double inverted.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 01:16 

I visit OOAK alomost daily. I have picked up a lot of helpfull tips. I am improving by taking forum info to my robot and practicing. I don't post much because I feel light years behind alot of people on this forum. I guess more question posts would help me more as they would be more specific to my weak spots/missing strokes.
This site is great and I would not be progressing as much without it.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 06:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks nicholaskresken, that's always great to hear!

I'm would be very interested to hear about your robot routines?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 17:44 

I love visiting this site for info and tips but seldom (actually, never) make posts because I've only been playing TT for a year and being a student, I don't really have the money to buy new rubbers ever so often and posting reviews of them. Besides, I haven't played with a lot of blades and rubbers to really make comparisons even if I had new equipment and I think those are the most important parts of making reviews...

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 23:11 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Apoplectic, Mayoster, Krusty, Re1Mu2R3, all of you guys, don't worry about not having a question, or being wet behind the years or already having found a post that had the answer to something you guys wanted to know. If you agree with something then do say that as well, and if you have even the simplest of questions, please do ask.

We want to know what you think about anything you see on here, and don't worry about looking silly or saying something funny. I have done that loads of times and haggis still hasn't banned me! :P

Just jump into the fray guys and I can promise you this, don't be surprised if before you know it, we just might be learning something from you.

And 729FX and Barry White, welcome back guys and keep those posts coming!

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 00:10 
Hard Justice

I just joined here and at mytabletennis.net, but already I have an urge to never post again, because either my posts are ignored, made fun of, or both.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 01:15 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
abdulmuhsee wrote:
I just joined here and at mytabletennis.net, but already I have an urge to never post again, because either my posts are ignored, made fun of, or both.

Hello abdulmuhsee.

I've looked at the 5 posts you've made so far.

"Frightening switch from spinny inverted sponge to hard pip" - including 2 posts. On this thread you started you received replies from speedplay - who goes out of his way to make people feel welcome by replying on their first threads / posts and Baal - one of the most respected short pips players on this forum. I'm sorry, I don't see either of these members making fun of you. Baal answered your question about sponge and it's effect with pips.

You then posted another thread "Medium pips one side, short pips other" and again asked about sponge and pips. This time you didn't mention the name of the pips you used, or the blade, or how you'd tried to play the shots you talk about. I didn't reply to this post because:

1: There wasn't enough information in your first post for me to even think about what the answer to your question might be
2: My time here is limited so just like in advertising I'm usually more attracted to punchy short posts, which contain info about standard, equipment used, type of shot trying to be played etc
3: A quick search in the medium pips section show quite a few topics where people ask about suitable sponge and a quick look in the technique section or just using the search function will help bring up answers to the questions you ask. haggisv has also set up a links button at the top of this page which will show you a link to this "sister website" of the OOAK forum:

http://www.pipfacts.info/

Some very knowledgeable forum members spent a lot of work writing the articles there - some of which I'm sure address the questions you ask.

A lot of time and effort has gone in to making the forum easier to navigate around with identifiable categories on the Board Index - sometimes people don't reply because they want the poster to first have a look around and see if their question has been asked before or they may be waiting for you to include something which they can identify with, something particular about you are what you are trying to do with the equipment.

Your last thread "Mayor of Guanzhou" you asked if there were any active professional players with the same style of play as the Mayor of Guanzhou. To be honest as soon as I saw the title, I didn't open the thread, for reason noted above. Once I read it, I couldn't reply because there was no link to an article about the event or embeded video showing the match you talked about. "Close to the table blocking with ball placement..." - but with what equipment. Were they left or right handed, were the penholder, or shake hands style. Did they block of both wings or backhand only... There simply wasn't enough in your post to let me try and answer. :)

What I'm trying to say, in a long winded way abdulmuhsee is that don't assume people are ignoring you out of choice. Some may, but for others you have to open the door and give them something to bite on. More relevant info to help them identify with what you are posting or maybe more details about you and what you are trying to achieve. I also wouldn't confuse a small number of replies with meaning people are ignoring you. If the first couple of posters answer your question, there is sometimes either no need, or no point anyone else posting after them. Quality, not quantity is a better judgment on the replies you receive.

Without meaning to sound patronising, posting can be a very difficult thing to do and so can replying to someones post. Very few get it right first time round - I've often rushed to my email inbox to see if someone has replied to a post or thread I've started and felt disappointed when there have been no replies. But that doesn't mean people are ignoring me. It might be me, it might be I've not made myself clear, or my topic simply doesn't interest anyone. Nor does it mean I'll stop and go elsewhere. It takes practice to get it right, just like playing table tennis and unlike exams, people here won't laugh at you or make fun of you because the mods simply won't allow it.

The fact that you took time to post your feelings here seems to me to show that you are genuine and want to be a part of this forum and share your experiences and that is why I've taken the time to reply. I hope you'll continue to post and learn from everyone here and share your experiences so that we can learn from you too. But please, don't judge the forum by the number of replies you get to a post. Quality, not quantity is a better judgment on the replies you receive.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 02:55 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Keep at it abdul, I mean, it takes time to get into the flow. I post on both forums as well, and have been for over two years now. And while I would insist that you not give up and to keep on posting on mytabletennis.net as well, I can guarantee you that no one on ooak forum will make fun of your posts. People on OOAK just don't do that. As for ignoring posts, it happens that at times, no one has a follow-up comment, that does not mean the post was ignored, just that no one had anything to say, at the time. But that is not because the posts are being ignored.

So, stick to your guns, and I am sure you will find that both the forums are great communities to be a part of.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 05:57 
Hard Justice

Actually, Debater, I was referring specifically to a post I made at mytabletennis.net, where I was asking the same question if anyone knew a professional player with a similar playing style to the 'Mayor of Guangzhou' who played a show match with Liu Shiwen at the Volkswagen Cup.

One person replied that the 'Mayor of Beijing' had a similar playing style, then another person laughed at the joke and that's all the replies I got. I felt ignored and a bit embarassed about it, so that's what I was talking about.

By the way, I read a few articles on short pips, one of which is on the pipfacts.info site which said, "They will generally block in defense rather than backing away from the table and topspinning the ball," so I thought, "Hey, that's exactly what I do, close to the table blocking," which led to my confusion as to why close to the table blocking wasn't working.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next