OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2007, 23:06 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I was on espn.com this morning and saw this article, thought others might like to read it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/sto ... d=tab4pos1

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 00:27 
Super User

I always resent the people who think they're really professional or whatever and think that "ping pong" is an incorrect term for the game/sport, and that it should only be called table tennis. Everyone I've met (in real life, not online) who is ranked higher than 1900 calls it ping pong.

Here in the states, it's the <1100s that are the pretentious jerks who get mad at me when I say ping pong, and try to "correct" me (the same ones who have never seen a penhold blade/player, think I'm some weirdo idiot, and then just sit there in shock when I cream them 11-0, hehehe).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 08:54 

Despite the fact that it is actually called Table Tennis and not ping-pong? Does them not being as good as you mean that they're wrong?

Pīng Pāng Qiú is the name for the Game in China, Hong Kong & Taiwan, and that sounds like Ping Pong, which is also a name derived from the sound the ball makes when it is hit over and over in a rally.. ping.. pong.. ping.. pong.. ping.. pong etc.

But Table Tennis is the official recognised name of the sport.

BH: Inspirit Quattro 39deg
FH: Inspirit Quattro 42deg
Blade: Andro Supercore Off- / Gambler Black Diamond Balsa Texalium Off+

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 11:17 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'm actually pretty positive that the term "ping pong" is a trademarked term by one of the recreational equipment makers here in the U.S. It would be like golfing and saying "One of my hobbies is playing Nike" if that's the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 11:33 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Found an interesting excerpt from the USATT site about the history of the table tennis/ping pong debate:
http://www.usatt.org/articles/history/h ... ntro.shtml

I also did some dictionary searches of the term, found out that it's both a trademarked term, yet also used interchangeably with table tennis, depending on where you are. Regardless of which term you use, as long as you play, it's all good. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 12:43 
Super User

Trademarked or not, in China they officially call it something that has "ping pong" in it, and considering that it's played the most there, I'll go with their name for it (or at least the English derivative).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 13:07 

Hobbes wrote:
Trademarked or not, in China they officially call it something that has "ping pong" in it, and considering that it's played the most there, I'll go with their name for it (or at least the English derivative).

Like I said above?...

" Pīng Pāng Qiú is the name for the Game in China, Hong Kong & Taiwan, and that sounds like Ping Pong, which is also a name derived from the sound the ball makes when it is hit over and over in a rally.. ping.. pong.. ping.. pong.. ping.. pong etc. "

However, the English name is Table Tennis, hence there being no IPPF (International Ping Pong Federation), WPPC (World Ping Pong Championships), USPPF (United States Ping Pong Federation) etc.

Ping Pong is a generic term for the game, Table Tennis the word wide official name.

Don't think less of people because they use the official name and you don't.

And the game originated in England so even though more people play it in China, the English name came first, not the Chinese translation :P

But as others have said, whatever you call it, just enjoy the game :D

BH: Inspirit Quattro 39deg
FH: Inspirit Quattro 42deg
Blade: Andro Supercore Off- / Gambler Black Diamond Balsa Texalium Off+

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 10:18 

it was called ping pong when it was invented... besides, the article quotes a texan, so of course it's going to be biased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 16:25 
Super User

How about we just split the difference and call it "ping pang" like the Chinese? It sounds like "ping pong", so it pleases those who like the informal name, yet it is serious enough to satisfy the enthusiast, since we all know the Chinese are superior when it comes to this sport. For me, at least, ping pang it is! :wink:

blade BTY Photino ST/Palio HengDa #1 ST, fh Palio Macro ERA 42deg MAX, bh Palio CK531A OX

TT Armory, N. America Palio distributor. Macro ERA Tensor, Biotech rubbers, and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 17:06 
Cho Tokusen

The most important thing is that you enjoy playing it, whether they call it pingpong or table tennis or whatever, for me it makes no difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 17:38 
Super User

I think the "pong" must be for long pips :twisted: !

blade BTY Photino ST/Palio HengDa #1 ST, fh Palio Macro ERA 42deg MAX, bh Palio CK531A OX

TT Armory, N. America Palio distributor. Macro ERA Tensor, Biotech rubbers, and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 22:10 
Dreamshaker

Well when it began in Uk it was like Ping Pong and even referred to as Gossima and Flim Flam. I dunno why but that is what it was called before it changed its name back to Table Tennis. Why it changed from Table Tennis in the beginning *shrug* I do not know :D.

But it remained Ping Pong association or whatever in the states. I think they changed it to Table Tennis many decades later. Actually they might be still called the Ping Pong assosiation can't remember :D.

It is commonly referred to Ping Pong in the US...

That was interesting about what Chinese etc call it. Like from the movie balls of fury that is to come out; Ping Pong. And the chinese like call it; Ping Pong :D. Referenced from the US and Asia I take...

Down here in Australia, there is soccer but in Europe and true fans of that sport so to speak, it is called Football. Proper term I don't know *shrug* :D. I call it Soccer like most Aussies :D. But Die Hard fans of the sport call it Football down here anyway :D.