OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Playing when angry
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 11:16 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
There is a guy in the club that will always start an arguement over anything.
One night we were playing doubles and I had a weaker partner and we were playing this guy that gets mad easy and another guy. We were behind and probably going to lose.
I served my second serve down the center line. It was in but the guy caught the ball and said it was out. (wrong court) I said I thought it was in and his partner said he thought it was in also. My partner was keeping quiet.
I said, even your partner thinks it was in, how about we just play it over? He says, "I am the closest to the ball so it don't matter what anybody else thinks. I can see it the best"
I said OK. His serve, and it was in by a foot. I caught it and said "that was out". LOL, his jaw hit the ground and then he exploded. That was in by a mile!!!! His partner said he thought it was in also. My partner was keeping quiet.
I said, I will give you the chance to replay the point but I am the closest so I can see it the best and it don't matter what anybody else thinks.
LOL, his game went away he was so mad, we won, he packed his bag without saying anything and left. Haven't seen him since.
If you let yourself get mad, even though you might be justified, it will hurt your game. As far as driving someone out of ping pong, we don't need people that upset so many other people so I don't feel bad. The other guys were glad he was gone also. Everybody had had runins with him at one time or another. Don't get mad, get even. LOL :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 12:32 
Super User

Interesting story hookshot,

In my experience, I've never seen someone play better because he/she was mad. I think table tennis is such a finely tuned game that you really need controlled aggression.

I remember I once played this guy who got so mad that he threw his racquet and it smashed against the next table! (and there were people playing there too - fortunately no one was hurt!) I went on to beat him 21-0 (I think my one and only shut out in competition).

Actually he got mad because I kept hitting high balls and daring him to smash by me, and he felt I was being disrespectful.

As you say, much better to get even and concentrate on making me pay for my arrogance by smashing effectively rather than throwing a fit.

Post subject: Re: Playing when angry
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 19:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
hookshot wrote:
There is a guy in the club that will always start an arguement over anything.
One night we were playing doubles and I had a weaker partner and we were playing this guy that gets mad easy and another guy. We were behind and probably going to lose.
I served my second serve down the center line. It was in but the guy caught the ball and said it was out. (wrong court) I said I thought it was in and his partner said he thought it was in also. My partner was keeping quiet.
I said, even your partner thinks it was in, how about we just play it over? He says, "I am the closest to the ball so it don't matter what anybody else thinks. I can see it the best"
I said OK. His serve, and it was in by a foot. I caught it and said "that was out". LOL, his jaw hit the ground and then he exploded. That was in by a mile!!!! His partner said he thought it was in also. My partner was keeping quiet.
I said, I will give you the chance to replay the point but I am the closest so I can see it the best and it don't matter what anybody else thinks.
LOL, his game went away he was so mad, we won, he packed his bag without saying anything and left. Haven't seen him since.
If you let yourself get mad, even though you might be justified, it will hurt your game. As far as driving someone out of ping pong, we don't need people that upset so many other people so I don't feel bad. The other guys were glad he was gone also. Everybody had had runins with him at one time or another. Don't get mad, get even. LOL :D

Another great story hookshot, well done mate!

Yes I tend to agree, TT really does not need players like that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 19:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
speedplay wrote:
When the game was over, he threw his bat into the wall so it splintered. I was very tempted to say: Now you can switch bat if you like to, but I kept quite :wink:

ROFL!!! That's very funny too! Where do you get this stuff! My TT is not nearly as interesting as yours... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 22:34 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
LOL speedplay and hookshot!

i love angry players tbh they seem to get even angrier when you keep ur cool...

on a more serious note... could getting angry at yourself shock you out of a losing streak so u do something about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 23:39 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi priior,
Yes, getting angry at "yourself" may help. The key is to keep a lid on it. If the other guy can sense that you are angry, it is easy to fuel it to meltdown. :D
I like mental wars in a game. I had one guy that kept trying to serve before I was in position, an obvious attempt to upset me. I started to take my time and asked him before EVERY serve if he was ready and smiling at him.
I think most people that try these tactics are more sensitive to their own tactics than I am. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 23:41 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Sometimes I find I play better when I get angry. For example, if someone's getting a lot of cheap nets, it makes me mad but it focuses me more, because I know I need to be on the top of my game. Or if someone tries some poor gamesmanship, like all of a sudden calling a let on a serve in the 4th game, even though you've been doing that same serve the whole match, or calling a cheap let when they're about to lose a point. Getting mad at my opponent in that way focuses me, as I don't want to give them the satisfaction of victory.

On the other end, when I get too mad and frustrated at my own poor play, it's a negative, because I tend to blow up every little thing that goes wrong and I lose focus.

So for me, it depends on what the anger is aimed at.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!