OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Anti-loop Pen Hold Play
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 07:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Anyone have any insights on playing a pen hold push blocking style with Anti-loop?

I recognize that you might find that this style might have similiar components to the shakehand styles previously mentioned, but even within the Pen Hold community there are variations on single-sided and reverse pen hold backhand styles, so hope springs eternal.

I have had three shoulder surgeries over the last few years added to a very serious injuries to my left ankle and foot about ten years ago and since the Teams I am finding that blocking with a pen hold style (sort of modified pushblocking) seems to be easier on my aged body.

My playing the pen hold game seems to require less of me than when playing shakehands (I would that I were another Peter Chen of the FLP era, but barring a miracle and the advent of time travel I believe I can safely rule that out).

I enjoyed the successes I experienced while experimenting with Anti-loop from the mid-sevnties and into the eighties. As with the demise of FLPs the two colour rule did nothing to help my Anti playing.

Sidebar: Which, if any of the rule changes since the fifties have aided defensive players?

Also, I Like to play pen hold, but also enjoy winning more than losing, therefore...I will likely continue to see my shakehand's style level decline as the effects of aging and the difficulties mentioned above continue to snowball.

However, further into the Hope-Springs-Eternal catagory, better utilization of the materials I am using or even Pen hold blocking with Anti-loop might be a way to stem the tide.

I realize that no blade or rubber is magic, but I also am sure that the blades made for me by Ross Leidy for the Teams were about the only reason I didn't totally crash and burn. He laboured diligently and zealously to build tools that would provide me with the best means possible to utilize the materials I was and am using (GD Talon and TaiChi).

tOD

Last edited by theOldDuffer on 10 Dec 2011, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 07:12 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Penhold with anti and inverted for RPB sounds like it has great possibilities. Similar to Seemiller grip, there is no crossover. :) :up:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

hookshot wrote:
Penhold with anti and inverted for RPB sounds like it has great possibilities. Similar to Seemiller grip, there is no crossover. :) :up:

Thanks,
tOD

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
Anyone have any insights on playing a pen hold push blocking style with Anti-loop?

I recognize that you might find that this style might have similiar components to the shakehand styles previously mentioned, but even within the Pen Hold community there are variations on single-sided and reverse pen hold backhand styles, so hope springs eternal.

I have had three shoulder surgeries over the last few years added to very serious injuries to my left ankle and foot about ten years ago. Shortly before the teams my right foot started going numb after playing for a while. The doctors ran tests and made suggestions, disagreed with each other, but nothing solved the problem, but changing styles of TT shoes seemed to prolong the time when the numbness would set in. (Not sure if that is like getting a new blade or rubber and feeling an "immediate improvement."

Since the Teams I am finding that blocking with a pen hold style (sort of modified pushblocking) seems to be easier on my aged body.

My playing the pen hold game seems to require less of me than when playing shakehands (I would that I were another Peter Chen of the FLP era, but barring a miracle and the advent of time travel I believe I can safely rule that out).

I enjoyed the successes I experienced while experimenting with Anti-loop from the mid-sevnties and into the eighties. As with the demise of FLPs the two colour rule did nothing to help my Anti playing.

Sidebar: Which, if any of the rule changes since the fifties have aided defensive players?

Also, I Like to play pen hold, but also enjoy winning more than losing, therefore...I will likely continue to see my shakehand's style level decline as the effects of aging and the difficulties mentioned above continue to snowball.

However, further into the Hope-Springs-Eternal catagory, better utilization of the materials I am using or even Pen hold blocking with Anti-loop might be a way to stem the tide.

I realize that no blade or rubber is magic, but I also am sure that the blades made for me by Ross Leidy for the Teams were about the only reason I didn't totally crash and burn. He laboured diligently and zealously to build tools that would provide me with the best means possible to utilize the materials I was and am using (GD Talon and TaiChi).

tOD

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've never seen an anti-push/block penholder. Maybe it would work with Joola Timeless if you twiddle.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
I've never seen an anti-push/block penholder. Maybe it would work with Joola Timeless if you twiddle.

A friend is wanting to try the rubber and is thinking of getting Ross to build him a blade for it. Don't know what he will use on the forehand. After paying the tariff on it, likely whatever I have lying to hand:) I am hopeful he will give me a go with it so I can try it shake and penhold.

When you have had a chance to use yours please let me know what you think might work well for a forehand rubber and what a blade would have to be to enhance the qualities of the Timeless?
Thanks,
tOD

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 02:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tOD: If you want a slow penhold frame, you can take a defensive blade with a straight grip and saw off an inch to an inch and a half; I did that with two Tibhar COS3 frames and they were very controlled, slow and nice to play with blocking, pushing and hitting using (single-sided) an Ox LP, Yasaka Phantom 0012, which serves well for an LP, and is an excellent hitting pip. I imagine a slow semi-grippy anti (like Juic Neoanti maybe?) in 1.5 mm (because you'd want to be able to hit well too) would do about as well as the Yasaka. You'd have to help reversal a bit more, but with a penhold grip that is no problem. All the rest of it is tactics - you have to draw out of the opponent what you want, so you do have to know what you want, and then figure out how to use your equipment to get it. Please keep posting, I find this very interesting :up: .

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011, 05:56 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
There is one 2100-rated antispin penholder I know of and lots of Youtube video also.

He plays with Super Anti in black and has Tenergy 05 in red.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lancastertt ... 010E582599

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 12:48 

mynamenotbob wrote:
There is one 2100-rated antispin penholder I know of and lots of Youtube video also.

He plays with Super Anti in black and has Tenergy 05 in red.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lancastertt ... 010E582599

His game is rather defensive.
I personally believe anti is more suitable for shake-hand style than penhold.
One thing though.....he always plays with a smile on his face.

Forehand: MXP
Backhand: Grass Dtecs, Tsp P3 Alpha
--------------------------------------------------------------