OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: More robot help
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 10:01 

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit lost on what TT robot to get. I have a decent budget (I would like to keep it around 1k give or take) and I think I am specifically looking for the most realistic feeling robot out there. Something that can serve up a random sequence with as much variation as possible... I'm fairly new to the sport but I have been working with a coach so my skills are slowly getting there... I just want more!

What's the best robot out there? With so many to choose from and new models coming out all the time I'm finding it very hard to choose. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: More robot help
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 03:33 

Hi there, I'm no expert on all the various robots but I previously owned a Newgy 1050 (sold it this year).

You sound like me 3 yrs ago. New to the sport and excited to get good in a hurry. I'd recommened you buy a basic robot to start with that oscillates randomly (L/R and speed randomly).

Check these robot reviews: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/robots_ ... chines.htm

It's tempting to want a robot that "does everything" but they tend to be complex and not fully capable of mimicking human. Once your fundamentals improve, I guarantee you'll much prefer practicing with humans and not with an expensive robot. Good day!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 00:25 

pushchop wrote:
Hi there, I'm no expert on all the various robots but I previously owned a Newgy 1050 (sold it this year).

You sound like me 3 yrs ago. New to the sport and excited to get good in a hurry. I'd recommened you buy a basic robot to start with that oscillates randomly (L/R and speed randomly).

Check these robot reviews: http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/robots_ ... chines.htm

It's tempting to want a robot that "does everything" but they tend to be complex and not fully capable of mimicking human. Once your fundamentals improve, I guarantee you'll much prefer practicing with humans and not with an expensive robot. Good day!

Your first step in seeing how robot practice can revolutionize your game. This model is ideal for the budget-minded recreational player. Lower speed and frequency….
http://pongcoupons.info/category/robo-pong/

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 02:45 

pushchop wrote:

And here's some more reviews of Newgy models, including their top-of-the-line 2050:

Newgy Robo-Pong 2050
http://tabletennis.about.com/od/tablete ... Review.htm

Newgy Robo-Pong 1040

Newgy Robo-Pong 540

Larry

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 03:41 

message deleted by author as it was duplicated

LT

Last edited by larrythoman on 08 Oct 2013, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 03:41 

toddicon wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm a bit lost on what TT robot to get. I have a decent budget (I would like to keep it around 1k give or take) and I think I am specifically looking for the most realistic feeling robot out there. Something that can serve up a random sequence with as much variation as possible... I'm fairly new to the sport but I have been working with a coach so my skills are slowly getting there... I just want more!

What's the best robot out there? With so many to choose from and new models coming out all the time I'm finding it very hard to choose. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMO--the Newgy Robo-Pong 2050 is the most useful robot there is. Yes, it is a 1-wheel robot, but I don't see that as being a disadvantage, particularly when compared to these two (and now even 3) wheel robots that spin the wheels only forward. You can read my opinion of this 1 vs. 2 wheel debate on another current thread:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=23868#p257814

The reason why I say the 2050 is the most useful, is that I believe you will spend more time actually using the 2050 compared to other currently available models. For drill mode, simply select a number of a drill (we provide a diagram of each drill to help you choose a drill), set the head angle and spin correctly (maybe 30 seconds or so), press start and you're playing a drill. We've got a wide variety of drills already preprogrammed from some of the best coaches in the US and Europe. And if these aren't enough, you can program your own on a PC or have a coach with a 2050 (like Samson Dubina--http://samsondubina.com/node/67) send you new drills that are easy to download to your 2050.

Drills are adjustable to large degree--you can speed a drill up or down to match your current level so one drill is challenging for a wide range of players or to keep challenging you as your skills improve. The 2050 also has great random controls--more so than any other robot in the world. You can randomize ball placement, ball speed, duration between shots, and number of shots thrown to a location. You have excellent control over how much randomization to have in a drill. For instance, you could vary side-to-side location by 2 inches or almost 60 inches (wide FH to wide BH). Or throw 1-5 balls to the BH before throwing a ball to the FH. Or vary shots only to FH corner, centerline, or BH corner and nowhere in between. Or giving yourself 1-1.5 seconds between each ball to make it more difficult to groove into one timing. You can randomize one, two, three, or all 4 parameters at once.

I think the Newgy interface is far superior to the other interfaces available with competing robots. I believe you will find it much easier to make the 2050 do what you want it to do than with others and there's a lot more resources for learning how to use the Newgy robot more effectively than any other.

Lastly, there are two types of robot randomizations that I don't find particularly useful. The first is spin randomization. Without the usual visual and auditory signals that you pick up when racket contacts ball, you will be guessing as to what spin is on the ball. The other is presented by the two-headed robots. If I set one of these to randomly shoot a ball, I find it very disconcerting to have to focus on two different projection points. It's something I would never have to do in a real match.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Larry

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 19:46 

thanks for all that info Larry and the time and trouble you've gone to to let us know stuff.
A lot of info in this last post has answered a lot of my questions and I'm reading through the other links slowly.

Good on ya :) Seems a bit sarcastic that smile lol but I assure you my smile is very genuine.