OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Apr 2024, 13:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 02:30 
Super User

I came across this this whilst browsing videos on YouTube and it actually seems really effective and, having read reviews that praise it highly, I'm quite seriously considering trying to buy one of these. Not sure yet of the price but if it's affordable, I think I'll definitely look to buy one. It's obviously of good quality - this is evident as the ball is clearly coming back with topspin, avoiding the usual rebounder trap of mere spin reversal, it can change rebound angle for different sides of the table, making ideal for footwork drills too. So far I haven't seen anyone give it a real good, spinny loop to see how it copes so I'd be interested to know if it can take heavy spin or not :)

Blade: Joola Flame Fast
FH: Joola Explode Sensitive
BH: Tibhar Grip-S Europe

Change needed dramatically!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 04:08 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
That would be really cool. Especially since it returns topspin (when you give it topspin). I can't really play more than once a week usually, and I think that access to this would be awesome for me. it would probably really boost consistency.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 06:44 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

I started out using a return board back about 30 years ago to improve and power my loop when I was a powerlooper. I made my own using different materials as well as making my own robot. I used a vacumm cleaner exhaust port with a tube and it worked pretty well. The return board has its limits, but is a good tool to also improve footwork. The new ones now look like boards that have Long pip ox glued to it. I also tried cork sheets. something soft with little rebound and does not kick the speed back too much. first one I tried was a piece of extra plywood that was smooth placed at an angle to send the ball back. I used that until I got my first robot. return board can be a good investment to keep active and a cheaper way to better your footwork and BH and FH loop. IMHO

Peace GIG
have a great weekend
:party: :rock: :Chop: |-) yes im tired

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 08:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think it's better than a robot when practicing topspins as you get some variation. Pretty limited overall, however.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 09:08 
Super User

THE GAMEr wrote:
That would be really cool. Especially since it returns topspin (when you give it topspin). I can't really play more than once a week usually, and I think that access to this would be awesome for me. it would probably really boost consistency.

Yeah it looks great doesn't it! I also think that it would be great for footwork as direction of rebound can be adjusted :D

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:03 
Super User

michiganbob54 wrote:
I started out using a return board back about 30 years ago to improve and power my loop when I was a powerlooper. I made my own using different materials as well as making my own robot. I used a vacumm cleaner exhaust port with a tube and it worked pretty well. The return board has its limits, but is a good tool to also improve footwork. The new ones now look like boards that have Long pip ox glued to it. I also tried cork sheets. something soft with little rebound and does not kick the speed back too much. first one I tried was a piece of extra plywood that was smooth placed at an angle to send the ball back. I used that until I got my first robot. return board can be a good investment to keep active and a cheaper way to better your footwork and BH and FH loop. IMHO

Peace GIG
have a great weekend
:party: :rock: :Chop: |-) yes im tired

Yeah I think you've pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly there GIG! :D I think I'd be using it mostly for footwork and consistency when looping from mid-short distance. I think boards bring something that robots don't & vica versa, with boards often being a lot cheaper :up:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:08 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
I think it's better than a robot when practicing topspins as you get some variation. Pretty limited overall, however.

Yes definitely. Also, I've got a Joola Buddy robot - an absolute bargain! - which doesn't oscillate, meaning it's tremendously difficult for me to practice footwork unless I'm just shadowing. However, as the two boards are adjustable, this "returnboard" would be great for practising footwork! :up: :D

Although I do completely agree that the capabilities of rebound boards are limited.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:13 
Super User

Wow, these "Returnboards" are dead expensive, the cheapest one on the website being £240, equating to almost $400! I've yet to find them anywhere else and I doubt I will so it could be a long time saving up if I'm going to make the purchase :(

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:17 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
It is not hard to make your own. Cut some innertubes up for the rubber and glue them on with contact cement. :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:25 
Super User

hookshot wrote:
It is not hard to make your own. Cut some innertubes up for the rubber and glue them on with contact cement. :)

I fear for my own safety whenever it comes to making anything hookshot, but thanks - I might enlist someone's help and try that out :D :up: :rock:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 09:13 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I have tried manufacturing my own return board. Found it good for practice instead of just being idle. But if you have access to robot, robot is much better.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 03:17 
Super User

Red_lion wrote:
I have tried manufacturing my own return board. Found it good for practice instead of just being idle. But if you have access to robot, robot is much better.

Yeah I've seen quite a lot of reviews that say the same, although this returnboard looks really good with the boards that can face in different directions and the fact that it comes back with topspin - something a lot don't do :)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 09:45 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
You can experiment with fabricated returnboard. Just adjust the angle. You can experiment with the surface too. Put some inverted rubber, lp, sp and anti in different area and you got lot of variables :lol:.
I believe that the most important thing when training with returnboard or robot is to improve your positioning by being quick on your feet.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 21:29 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Red_lion wrote:
You can experiment with fabricated returnboard. Just adjust the angle. You can experiment with the surface too. Put some inverted rubber, lp, sp and anti in different area and you got lot of variables :lol:.

Hmmm, perhaps just collect all my cutoffs and make a mosaic board.

I guess I'll have to glue rubbers fore everyone, and then some, or I won't have a useable size rubber surface until I approach 70 :D (assuming that I am still playing in 20+ years ...)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 05:33 

Is this the first ever return board !!

http://youtu.be/XKr_64gX_Ts