OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 11:59 

Hi there
I'm a new (60 yo!) kid on the block....and have just discovered your forum and how useful it is!
I have played TT since primary school days and have played competition up to A2 level during univ days. Only started playing a gain regularly in the last 2 years but had to finally change from pen grip to shake hand grip about 10 months ago due to osteo-arthritis in my hands. Needless to say, it has been a rather frustrating 10m's!....well at least I didn't have to get rid of my bad habits and started fresh :)
So just a few weeks ago I bought a Super Emperor TT robot (5th Generation Super Master TT Robot) and having lots of fun practicing my loops, smash etc.
However, I haven't been able to work out how to slow down the speed of the serve enough so that they don't all bounce off the table even with the slowest speed setting. Not sure if there is a way of achieving this without taking the whole robot off the TT table and sitting it on a trolley or low table and moving it some distance away from the table??
Any suggestions or experience from other owners would be much appreciated
Cheers
Richard

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 12:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
So the first bounce is on the robot side of the table, and the second is off the table on your side?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 09:54 

haggisv wrote:
So the first bounce is on the robot side of the table, and the second is off the table on your side?

Yes......completely off the table! Speed setting = 1.
Cheers Richard

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 11:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, that is very surprising! Makes you wonder of there's something wrong with it?
Hopefully we have a few other users here that can pitch in ...

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 19:19 

Hi there,

Where did you buy the Super Emperor as my ipong is not good enough ? If you live in Melbourne may be one day we can have a hit.

I saw some you tube video on the Super master may be this might help you with the settings .

The guy in this video set it up speed 7 topspin and 4 downspin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczgDO7Aw-U

If you already figured it out. Can you let me know whether it does a short backspin followed by a long backspin.

Regards
Rama

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 03:28 

TT 2 wrote:
However, I haven't been able to work out how to slow down the speed of the serve enough so that they don't all bounce off the table even with the slowest speed setting. Not sure if there is a way of achieving this without taking the whole robot off the TT table and sitting it on a trolley or low table and moving it some distance away from the table??

If you have the top wheel (they call it topspin) set to 1 and the bottom wheel (they call it backspin) set to 0 and the ball is still going off the end of the table on your end, then that is probably just a limitation of that model's design. It is probably designed so the robot shoots directly over the table's net so the first bounce lands on your side of the table. This precludes using lower speeds to "serve" the ball where the robot shoots down onto its side of the table first and then bounces over the net, and bounces a second time on the player's side.

Larry

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 03:54 

Rama wrote:
Where did you buy the Super Emperor as my ipong is not good enough?

If you want more spin and versatility in a "bucket-based" robot that sits atop your table, consider the Newgy Robo-Pong 1040 (analog) or 1050 (digital). If you want a robot that sits in a recycling net system, please consider the Robo-Pong 2040 (analog) or 2050 (digital). In my admittedly biased opinion (I work for Newgy), the build quality of Newgy robots is much higher than the SuperMaster line and are much more intelligently designed.

SuperMaster is a Chinese Newgy-knockoff that keeps copying our robot designs. At one point we even tried to track them down in China to sue them for patent infringement, but they would simply move their company or change owners until we got tired of chasing them. Patent enforcement in China is very difficult. I remember when they first started selling on eBay, they would actually use pictures of Newgy robots off our website instead of using photos of their own robot.

Rama wrote:
Can you let me know whether it does a short backspin followed by a long backspin.

No it won't because it doesn't have controls for variable ball speed and/or automatic head angle control.

Larry

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 13:29 

Many thanks Rama & Larry
I'll give your suggestions a try and see how I go. Frankly I didn't know about the Newgy brand at all until after I bought the Super Emperor on eBay. From memory it was sent from Hong Kong.
Overall I'm happy with the Super Emperor to date. As I have not tried any of the spin settings yet, I'll have to let you know later how good/bad they are.
Rama Pity I'm in Sydney otherwise always happy to meet potential training partners :)
Cheers TT 2 Sydney

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 03:53 

I tried out my Super Emperor robot yesterday. It may be a little different than yours--it has a wired remote control instead of the wireless remote I've seen pictured online with it. But I could get it to serve so it would bounce first on its side of the table's net and second bounce on the player's side. I set the top wheel to 1, bottom wheel to 0, and angled the head down into the table. Or I could set the bottom wheel to 1 or 2 and the top wheel to 0 and get a decent backspin serve. However, as soon as I set both the bottom and top wheels to 1 or above, the ball became much too fast to have the robot serve onto its side first. So there's no way to get a dead ball serve or any type of slow dead ball as you might get from an anti or LP block or push. I imagine this is what TT2 was experiencing as he described in the original post.

Larry

Last edited by larrythoman on 28 Jan 2014, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 00:14 

I have the Super Master Gen 5 for about 3 years. It is fragile in many areas. I had already replaced both wheels as they are worn down quite a bit. Speaker dead, replaced, and dead again. Both sides of the recycle net develop a tear at the area touching the extension arm. The closed assembly collect dust pretty badly and speed of ball will suffer in time. Top motor develop severe vibration and cause breaking of wheel....and so on.

If the ball speed is too strong for you then I suggest putting a piece of paper file (2 if needed) right under the head to cover the area of the first bounce. It will kill off enough power for the ball to stay on the table. It can also serve as some form of protection against damage to your table surface. I had practiced receiving serves this way and after just a few minutes the table was left with an ugly patch of permanent marks.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 20:31 

larrythoman wrote:
I tried out my Super Emperor robot yesterday. It may be a little different than yours--it has a wired remote control instead of the wireless remote I've seen pictured online with it. But I could get it to serve so it would bounce first on its side of the table's net and second bounce on the player's side. I set the top wheel to 1, bottom wheel to 0, and angled the head down into the table. Or I could set the bottom wheel to 1 or 2 and the top wheel to 0 and get a decent backspin serve. However, as soon as I set both the bottom and top wheels to 1 or above, the ball became much too fast to have the robot serve onto its side first. So there's no way to get a dead ball serve or any type of slow dead ball as you might get from an anti or LP block or push. I imagine this is what TT2 was experiencing as he described in the original post.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I tried your settings and it worked well. I couldn't stand the silly voice commands so finally opened up the control box and shut her up! Ah.......Peace at last !!
Cheers
Richard