OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 09:13 

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
I also played an evening with a Paddle Palace S4W two head, four wheel robot,

The thing I found most unnerving about the two headed robots is that anytime they were set to randomly select the head from which the ball would be shot, that it took me a split second to change focus and pick up the ball. I found that disconcerting and very dissimilar from what would ever occur in a real match, where my focus would always be on one point (the paddle/ball contact).

The other thing I found strange about that type of robot, if I recall correctly, was that a location setting of 5 (for example) was different for the right head and the left head.

Larry

Last edited by larrythoman on 08 Oct 2014, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 09:21 
Super User

As for interfaces, it's confounding why the latest robots don't just use a simple control panel for basic settings and bluetooth for more complex programming. It makes the basic HW very cheap to manufacture, and all the complexity is in the part that's easy to change.

Also, at first I didn't feel this was necessary due to possible contention, but since we're already past that there are many reasons why a Newgy is in general a poor choice for most of its potential buyers:

1. For beginners the spin at lower speeds is too high. At intermediate levels only a small % of shots are loaded, and before players get to that point almost none are. This means it can't really dish balls folks realistically see.

2. For the intermediate the machine can't directly serve realistic backspin or low spin. These are the shots most players have trouble attacking since they require hand-speed and more acute timing (whereas top is countered with elastically of the rubber itself).

3. Fewer advanced players use robots for var reason (in part since many have better access to partners), but those who do generally need to practice specific weakness or transitions and such over basic repetition of the same topspin shot. The overwhelming newgy backspin does replicate good LP chops though I guess.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 14:07 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
larrythoman wrote:
Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
I also played an evening with a Paddle Palace S4W two head, four wheel robot,

The thing I found most unnerving about the two headed robots is that anytime they set to randomly select the head from which the ball would be shot, that it took me a split second to change focus and pick up the ball. I found that disconcerting and very dissimilar from what would ever occur in a real match, where my focus would always be on one point (the paddle/ball contact).

The other thing I found strange about that type of robot, if I recall correctly, was that a location setting of 5 (for example) was different for the right head and the left head.

Larry

Yes, the balls coming from 2 different places did seem odd to me as well. Like I said, I was unimpressed by its programming especially considering it was double or triple the price. I think one head with either 3 wheels or one head with 2 wheels and a motor to rotate them for sidespin would be simpler, less expensive to build, and less complicated to program. That's a lot of why I don't have one.

I do agree that in this day and age a bluetooth connection would be the best connection method and an android app would allow you to program and control it with your phone. If not, a USB would still work but requires a laptop.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 19:31 
Super User

The multi-head was used for significantly varied shot combos before head angle (vertical) trim was commonly automated.

I figure from the Amicus demo video that they control the deflector piece in more than one dimension since it can place range on variety of spin. That's pretty much the norm for new >1k models now; hopefully it filters downrange soon.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2014, 02:39 

Thank you all for the info.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 20:39 

Blade: BFY TBS / YEO+
FH: TGY80 / Airoc AstroM
BH: TGY05 / Stiga Clippa
I read this thread with a great attention. Until yesterday, I was convinced I would go for a Newgy 2050. I had tried it, and thought it was the better option and had the better price-value ratio. But I was able to try the Amicus Professional yesterday, and even though the price category is not the same, its abilities and, to be totally honest, the totally subjective posts made here from the Newgy employee, made me orient my choice towards the Amicus. It's ok to compare products, even though they might not aim the same customers. But if done, it should remain objective. I respect people / companies that recognise another product's superiority, specifying that they don't compete in the same league and price league. But the fact that the Newgy employee blatlantly refuses to acknowledge the obvious "weaknesses" of his product and even tries to present them as advantages is something that makes me step back and look for another option.
The remote: on the Butterfly, there are indeed 30 buttons. But it's extremely easy to get along with it. I understood how to program drills after only 30 seconds explanation.
The argument that the Newgy can be connected to a computer: what was the interface again? My computer needs USB, the Newgy I tried offered PS2. Useless.
The spin: even though I didn't go into extreme top or under spin (on the remote) and medium speed, what I got already felt like extreme spin. Simply amazing.
No jamming.

The last post in this thread was over two years ago, and Newgy still hasn't released anything new. That's also something that indicates that there's imo no real will to reply to the different competitors.

My choice is made: Butterfly!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2016, 20:25 

Blade: Nittaku Goriki SD
FH: Donic Baracuda Max
BH: Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX
Me too.. Just 1 month ago i bought an Amicus Professional.. Amazing!!
:clap:
I use my robot every day.. after 2 h of training with tennis table team mate, 1 h with robot for improve steps, automation and resistance..
It's very useful for repeat same exercise under coach control.. and repeat.. repeat.. repeat.. :sweat:

The Ultimate Light Saber
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 1.5mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Der-Materialspezialist Elimination Extralong OX
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 2.0mm

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2016, 20:25 

Me too.. Just 1 month ago i bought an Amicus Professional.. Amazing!!
:clap:
I use my robot every day.. after 2 h of training with tennis table team mate, 1 h with robot for improve steps, automation and resistance..
It's very useful for repeat same exercise under coach control.. and repeat.. repeat.. repeat.. :sweat:

The Ultimate Light Saber
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 1.5mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Der-Materialspezialist Elimination Extralong OX
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 2.0mm

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 08:51 

Blade: BFY TBS / YEO+
FH: TGY80 / Airoc AstroM
BH: TGY05 / Stiga Clippa
Congratulations for this acquisition Ragnolo!
Wish you many sweaty hours of happiness :-)

As I was a bit harsh in my last post, I just wanted to put things straight.

The Newgy is not a bad robot at all. It fulfills the needs of many "leisure-comp" players, and it would certainly fulfill mine.
The Amicus simply offers many more possibilities and is a lot more fun. This, of course, comes at a much higher price.

I would certainly have gone for the Newgy had I not read larrythoman’s comments: in the present thread as well as in that one, viewtopic.php?f=67&t=23190, it’s all about "Amicus is disappointing, my Newgy does everything better". At least, to his credit, he made clear that he worked for Newgy.

Even if the Newgy is a good product as well, this type of communication really puts me off.

The Amicus is indeed a bigger investment, but as I have the cash, I don’t hesitate.

(P.-S.: I got to meet some of Australia’s top players. Whenever they use a robot, it’s the Amicus Pro...)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 14:04 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I had the newby 2050 and got a second hand amicus 2000 from my coach for $700.
I found the amicus to have a more realistic spin compared to the 2050.
The ability to have a backspin ball then a topspin ball for example is a must in a robot in my opinion.
There is one on crowdfunding that could be better than the amicus coming soon for $350
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... pong-robot

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 16:38 

maurice101 wrote:
I had the newby 2050 and got a second hand amicus 2000 from my coach for $700.
I found the amicus to have a more realistic spin compared to the 2050.
The ability to have a backspin ball then a topspin ball for example is a must in a robot in my opinion.
There is one on crowdfunding that could be better than the amicus coming soon for $350
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... pong-robot

It's true.. spin by Amicus is realistic.. but for me the best is 8 balls in is row like a complex and "realistic" rally..
I play so much in this configuration.. Service and 6/7 balls in a row with short back spin, long backspin, top spin and more..
I use a bat with frictionless rubber and i need to improve my body movements.. with calls near and far from the table.. without forgot my attack attitude in game..
For me Amicus Professional is a good partner for my daily cicly of training.. even if he can't substitute a trading with human players.. ;)

The Ultimate Light Saber

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 12:21 

Blade: JOOLA Carbon Pro
FH: Stock
BH: Stock
I think it makes sense that you can alter the speed and rpm of a ball independently without having to reverse one of the wheels. The average rpm of the wheels would control the ball's forward speed. The greater the rpm ratio between the two wheels, the faster the ball spin. If the wheels spin at the same rpm, then it would be no-spin.

BTW, a feature I think would be nice to have is frequency based on ball speed, as that would make the pace natural. This seems free for a manufacturer to implement on any new digital machine.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 15:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
rsilvers wrote:
BTW, a feature I think would be nice to have is frequency based on ball speed, as that would make the pace natural. This seems free for a manufacturer to implement on any new digital machine.

I agree, that's an excellent idea! :up:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!