OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 03:01 

I'm a beginner with a table in my basement. I just came across this great forum. I've decided that I want to get more serious about improving and am looking to get a robot. I have never seen any robots in person, but have looked at lots of videos online and read many reviews, forum discussions, etc. I could still use some advice please!

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Y&T 989H (same as the Paddle Palace H2W, right?), or one of the Amicus, probably the "Advance". I want the two wheel robot because I want to practice with no-spin shots, and slow spinny shots - I see a lot of these at my level. I also want something that's easy to set up and take down, because I'll be using the robot on the same table I play on. And it has to be relatively easy to use, especially since my young teen son will be using it. Durability and reliability are important of course, but it won't be getting tons of use - it will be just us.

So here are the advantages and disadvantages as I see it of the two robots:

989H:
Advantages:
Easier to program with touch screen.
Has indicator telling you what spin is coming at you
Quieter

Disadvantages:
Can't do short shots or high shots (this seems like a very big disadvantage to me)

Amicus:
Advantages:
Better variety of shots

Disadvantages:
Harder to program

I don't know which one of these is easier to set up, but get the impression they're both pretty easy. And there are probably many other considerations I haven't even thought of.

So can anyone with knowledge of these two robots please pipe in, or let me know if you'd recommend an alternative?

Thanks!!

- Dave

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 03:47 
Super User

I have the table mount version of the 989E and the build quality on it is superb. The 989H looks to be an electronics upgrade with head angle motor. These are very "solid" machines with standard/orthodox design compare to the more sophisticated multi-wheel approach of the new Amicus.

If it were me I'd probably take the Amicus for that price, but Y&T also makes the same robot with a bit less flair (like the 989E) for a lot less green. Robots are more to work out basic stroke/feet mechanics or TT-related exercise but can't replace proper TT practice for any kind of actual gameplay.

If you're buying from paddle palace also take a look at the AW32 which is less sophisticated 989E. It has less ball placement options but otherwise mechanically identical inside.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:11 

agenthex wrote:
I have the table mount version of the 989E and the build quality on it is superb..

Thanks. How is the ball placement on the 989E? Can it do soft short shots? Or high bouncing shots? For example, I really want to work on my forehand smash. People dink these high bouncing shots at me and I have a hard time hitting a winner. If I try to hit it hard, too often it goes off the end of the table or into the net. I have bad technique!

- Dave

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:14 

Also - if I do splurge for an Amicus, does anyone know what the upgrade costs are from the Basic to the Advance and from the Advance to the Professional?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:26 
Super User

If you put normal robots in the standard position all the shots need to to fire pretty forward. You need to either fire them at the table on the robot side or back them up for more lob-ish shots. The adjustments can be bit finicky (like putting differing sheets of paper under the landing spot on the robot side when shooting into table) so I don't bother with them much

But if you practice attacking backspins, the smashing or anything where you need to generate power becomes easier.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:34 

Ok. Have you seen the Amicus? I haven't, but people seem to say that it can send balls at more angles than the Y&T robots, because of their deflection plates and the fact that you can raise and lower the head.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:41 
Super User

I've seen the videos and understand what they're doing, so can believe that statement somewhat. It's not so much the deflection plates per se but what appears to be more sophisticated control to keep the ball on the table as long as it's set up in its central location. That's why I would get one if dropping >1.5k. But OTOH you can't move the Amicus around as much if you want shot from different locations (I don't anyway), and there are still fundamental limitations to what a robot can do.

edit: for me it was a no-brainer since the A9 (989e equiv) was ~$400 in china. I can see how a 989e at western markups vs an amicus would be a hard choice.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 20:41 

I just ordered an Amicus Advance. I'm excited to try it out! Thanks for your advice.

And FYI, I also contacted Butterfly about working with them to add smartphone control of the device. They said they would get back to me. I'm not sure that they'll take me up on it, but I'm convinced it would be relatively easy to do. Imagine having the ability to have unlimited shot programs, that you could specify shot locations by tapping on spots on an image of a table, that you could edit shots by dragging on sliders to specify speed and spin, etc. That would be cool!

- Dave