OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 01:45 

I am looking at Robots under $300, preferably much under. Have been looking at the Newgy and Ipong stuff as those seem to be what is available in the US at that price point. Newgy appears to be more reliable but also more expensive. Mainly want to get my basic strokes grooved and more consistent.

Also looking through the archives for info.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 05:14 
Super User

Dunno if it was also you who posted the same question at mytt, but the same answer is there's only one "real" robot under $300 in the US; the bottom end newgy.

The ipongs are bit toy-like, but maybe ok with proper expectations. IMO the best option in the US without importing is the Paddle Palace AW32, which is a cut down Y&T; they're very nice, a different league than anything close in price here.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 13:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dorfmeister wrote:
I am looking at Robots under $300, preferably much under. Have been looking at the Newgy and Ipong stuff as those seem to be what is available in the US at that price point. Newgy appears to be more reliable but also more expensive. Mainly want to get my basic strokes grooved and more consistent.

Also looking through the archives for info.

Try Newgy, sometimes you can get a bargain on a previous used unit. They are pretty much bullet proof.
tOD

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 06:46 
Incredible Shrinking Man

Joola tt-buddy only 100 € by contra.de

3. Blade : SL Defender SL DG 0x red : Secret flow 1.8 black : Against other LP players.
4. Blade : ST Fire-starter: Easy P 0x red : Air Illumina MAX Black : Incoming
Maybe I will try sponge some day!
----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 13:00 
Super User

I agree newgy I bought my my newgy 1040 years ago and used it a lot. comes in a a little over $300. but picking up balls was a drag so bought their catch net with sides. and bought a bunch of balls. you'd be pretty safe with that
use old boxes around the garage to block balls from going under stuff. brooms and upright dust pan to gather and pick up balls.

Last edited by TableTennisDoc on 18 Feb 2015, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 21:16 
Super User

Jool Buddy Pro + Net £215.

The pro version oscillates, which is handy, the base model is £50-£60 cheaper.

It's basic, very easy to set up and does everything I want from a robot, I prefer muti ball human feeds, or human drills personally, so would not spend more on a robot than this - and it seems solid / reliable after 8 months use.

Retractable fishing net works well in getting pulls that miss net and to refill machine hopper.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 17:34 

I got the newgy 540 for around $250 plus a catch net for another $50 0r so. Works great for me to work on my strokes. the under spin is unrealistic when you turn up the speed. to keep from jamming, keep the frequency up. it only seems to jam when you slow the time between balls down.

I don't like how high it sits on the table. it is about useless for "serves". I set the unit down into the catch net to get realistic serves. I made a little stand to support the unit when inside the catch net. the stand is outside the net and the unit is inside. I run a full hopper, then pick up any balls that didn't make it into the catch net and "serve" them back. works great get in a little serve practice.

I didn't like 2 things. the hopper was too small (I made a cardboard extension to allow about 200 balls), and I didn't like that the speed setting was also the on/off. made it hard to practice the same shot when you turned it back on. I recently bought the upgrade kit to make it a 1040. Great upgrade! took about 15 min to do and they even give you new stickers to make it a 1040. You get the bigger hopper, (I guess around 200 balls) and the oslatition. The new controler give you an on/off switch which allows to to leave the setting all set and just turn the unit on and off. The cool thing is that you can set the isolation and frequency separately so you can get a much more random practice. You also have limits so you can adjust how much of the table it covers. I have a real problem switching from forehand to back hand and this really helps me. this is a great up grade! the other thing I didn't know is if you kill the unit, they will completely rebuild it or replace it for $35. I don't know why they don't include this in there adds as I thing this is a big feature.

There is another upgrade from hear, but if I spend more on a robot, I will get a 2 wheel head for my next step. Frankly I wish newgy would do a two wheel upgrade, but there seems no chance of that.

I get the bulk "3 star" balls on ebay to feed the beast,

so I think the newgy is the way to go, just make sure you get a catch net (check amazon)

If I were to spend $800, I'd get a 2 wheel

Yasaka balsa plus/ RITC 837/ RITC 755 (friendship)
Newgy 1040 robot