OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 03:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 167  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 10:20 

Greetings from New Zealand,

I'm 22 and have been playing for about 8-9 years, I used to play in various local and national tournaments in NZ as a junior and also on our regional mens team.

Unfortunately I have been out of the competitive scene for about 4 years due to University study, and I also became a Tennis Coach somehow (about 6 months after I started actually playing Tennis haha).

Anyway, I'm looking to get back into the game and helping kickstart Table Tennis in our region again seeing it's in a bit of a slump at the moment.

Looking forward to some of the pretty good discussions on the game & equipment here :D

Shannon.

BH: Inspirit Quattro 39deg
FH: Inspirit Quattro 42deg
Blade: Andro Supercore Off- / Gambler Black Diamond Balsa Texalium Off+

Post subject: debraj from CA
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2007, 08:41 
Super User

nice meeting you guys..

i'm 35, indian origin, now in CA, been playing for 20 years with occassional gap of a few year at a strech.

I have learnt the game from beginning, under a nice coach former national champ, who insisted on having all strokes right.

So while he helped me grow nice well-rounded game i always have those split second confusions on which shot to choose. :)

type:

- All-round attack with close-mid loops
- level 1700-1800
- third ball attack
- great emphasis on serves.. (i gain 3 service points and loose 2 in missed serves in each game)
- equipment junky ;)

current set-up:

forehand: lkt Torrent EGS, (sometimes 729 higher 3)
backhand: lkt pro XT, higher 3, fx-el,

blade: Dawei wavestone, 729 carbon hinoki

thanks for paying attention to me ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2007, 12:30 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Thnx for popping up Debraj. You will truly discover that this disfunctional motley crew is indeed a family of sorts that you will enjoy. Stay loose.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2007, 14:21 
Dreamshaker

And don't be a goose haha :D.

Post subject: Introducing myself
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 09:18 

My name is Len. My screen name means lion fish in Hawaiian, showing my name (Leonard is lionhearted), my love of things Hawaiian, and my interest in dreamwork (fish symbolize dreams for me).
I live in southern California, where I am a math tutor. I was a college math professor long ago and far away - I’m 68 now.
I’m a long pips blocker. It’s the only style I could succeed with as a fat man. A year ago my rating went all the way down to 1928 when I weighed 297 lb.(135 kg). My highest rating was in 1990 when I briefly got down to 197 lb.(89 kg). I was disappointed a month ago when I raised my rating only to 1944 since I weighed 190 then and had been practicing at the 2050 level. Too many really strong pips-out penhold attackers in my draws. I’m now at 180 after losing 112 lb. in the last year. Playing over 2 hours a day sure has helped in losing weight. I’m hoping to add more offense with my greatly increased mobility. 1944 puts me somewhere around 23rd in the country over the age of 60. I’ll improve that.
I’ve played table tennis most of my life, but I intensified my involvement in 1979. I’ve played with OX long pips since 1983. I’ve used both inverted and short pips on my FH, but all I do is serve, block, and pick hit.
Other than tt, I enjoy reading, especially philosophy and religion. I’m married with a 17 year old stepdaughter. My wife, whose first husband was Swedish and a tt player, knows how to play but hasn’t done so in several years.
Like the rest of you guys, I’m an equipment junkie. I own 16 blades, mostly defensive ones. At my last tournament I won 29 rating points and lost none with Hallmark Super Special, but I won none and lost 13 with Dr, N SB - hmm!? If the loopers keep looping, SB is great, but if they push, I’m dead meat. It’s too slow to attack with. I just give them a slow topspin ball to cream.
Undoubtedly, this is more about me than anyone cares to know, but I’ve enjoyed what all you guys have to say, so I’ll be adding my two cents worth from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 10:12 
Dreamshaker

Well 2 cents is better than none and definitely better than some. Welcome to the forum. Chime in like everyone else and enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 22:30 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
hmm i noticed i havent introduced myself here!

i'm Nareg (armenian origins)

born in 73

i live in canada (montreal, quebec more specifically) and practice dentistry.

i used to play a lot when i was really young, but in basements and liek crap, then i stopped for 10+ years, then abou 5 years ago picked it up again and got coached. my biggest struggles are to get rid of my bad habits and silence the voices in my head when i play ;)

i have to say, i'm not too much of an equipment junkie (sorry at all the sellers out there) i like to find an equipment i like and stick with it until i've outskilled it. (maybe im far down on the skill level and thats why still not experimenting much with equipment!)

ive had a yasaka gatien extra blade w/ straight handle for a few years now.

I started off with 1.8 MarkV's on both sides, then moved to MArkV GPS, then to MAX on the FH and 1.8 on the backhand, then to MAX on both sides.

a few months ago, i decided to try the andro Plasma (470 on my FH and 430 on my BH - i dont like the 470, love the 430)

my next equipment "jump" will be to go to a slightly faster blade and maybe EEII-ing some dawei rubbers. (cuz they're dirt cheap!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2007, 04:24 

Thank you Leeroy and Speedplay!
No, My wife's first husband was just a 1500-1600 player when he lived in North Carolina. He now lives in Stockholm. I've played him. He was surprised that a fat old geezer could beat him so badly.

Well, today is Friday. That means I'll get in 6-7 hours of playing time today. I'm in my post-tournament experimental goof-off mode. Maybe I'll practice hitting forehands off the bounce with Pistol. I'll probably loop a little with 979 long pips over 2.0 Reactor sponge. The ball really goes! I don't have a clue where it goes, but when it goes on it feels great and dives downward beautifully. Weird! I doubt if I'll play any serious matches today.

Hardbats: Toxic 3 (Leyland), various Hocks
U.S. rating 1935

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 10:54 

hi i'm pupztt
been playing for about a yr and a half
21 yrs of age
student
I dunno what style i play, bit of everything i guess, not really good at one thing

i like experimenting with equipment, or maybe i just haven't found the right setup yet

currently using hurricane classic blade with sriver l and mark v

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 13:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum pipztt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 13:55 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Pupztt, Don't you see how subtly Haggisv is trying to get you to become a darkside Long Pips player? He called you Pipztt! :lol:

You will like the scene here whether you are inverted player like me or or a dark side dedicated pips out player like the majority here.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 14:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Hah hah... I just noticed that, sorry pupztt... it was unintentional... honest.. you believe me don't you? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 22:49 

haha thats cool
though i have thought about giving the dark side a try
maybe one day i'll get some lp's

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 23:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's the spirit :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2007, 16:04 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Hi all,

Name’s Arlene. The Philippines is my country of birth. I play in 2 clubs: Daylesford and Ballarat. I also play in Veterans Tournament in Victoria.

I’m in my 40’s. Back in high school I was a decent enough player to have caught the eye of the Philippine Table Tennis Team. I was recruited to play for the team and underwent training for the summer of 1980. We were suppose to compete in Pyong yang, North Korea that year, but the gov’t pulled out the funding. My parents told me to quit and just concentrate on my studies and that’s what I did. Came back to the game about a year ago.

I play a fast game, mostly flat hits with a decent forehand loop. I don’t like playing against choppers, I have a hard time attacking their balls, I have to work on the timing and the angle of the racket…… but I’m getting there.

I would say I’m in the low-intermediate level, at this point.

I practiced Medicine for about 10 years before I got burned-out. At present, I do volunteer work in the community and also work on our farm planting trees. We hope to one day open a “christmas tree farm”.

Other hobbies: reading, knitting socks, cooking, browsing through table tennis forums, playing with the cat, watching old movies.

Stumbled upon this forum when I was researching on “how to play against pimples”. I can easily beat short pimples player, but still dicey when it comes to the long one’s. I did order some long pimples and played with it for about 6 weeks or so, but I just miss the speed of the backhand, so I have reverted back to inverted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 167  Next