OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: table tennis injuries
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 03:06 

Hi all,

I'm fairly beat up for a 40 year old and will be trying to manage my injuries as I attempt to learn the sport. My issues are.

1. Shoulder - impingement, comes from years of tennis.
2. Low back - 2 mild disc ruptures and spondolysthesis (vertebra out of position), childhood injury.
3. Knee - moderate arthritis under kneecap, Got hit with a baseball pitch as a kid, broke my kneecap.

So, all you guys with injuries, what are they and how do you manage and prevent recurrences of them for the sport of table tennis? What are the most common overuse injuries for table tennis?

badman

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 03:34 
Double Dipper

Is it funny or just sad that I have as many injuries as him and I'm half his age?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 04:47 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

LOL we manage by using long pimples or anti ;)

I had a non tt related injury where i broke my hand and wielding a heavy racket was very painful. The long pimples and light balsa blade took alot of pressure my hand

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 06:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
MM is right. A blocking game at the table with long pips puts the least wear and tear on our bodies. It also helps to use short pips on the forehand which saves your shoulder.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 07:18 
Two Winged Warrior

Sort of agree with the comments above. My knee injury started in 2009, and I still have problems with the right knee. I now wear a knee strap, and it works. Very little pain since I have begun using it.
In the beginning I didn't had that knee strap, but I did had a knee brace. Didn't really worked, quite a lot of pain during play and the days after play. Couldn't train, only play competition. I stayed close to the table, could only loop with the forehand, couldn't loop with the backhand, only flat hits and blocks. I stayed true to a double inverted setup though. :)
Move as little as possible, and somehow it worked. Took me a while to figure it out though. My rating was the highest ever, yet my game was the worst ever. Only thing I could really do well was keeping the ball on the table and flat hitting. Nothing else.

Since the summer I am back to training once a week and from October twice a week, and my progress is slow. I tried to go back to my old game (looping from both sides), but I was unable to find my rhythm in matches. Only now I have the feeling my game is coming back to me. After 1,5 years I think I'm at the (looping) level of which I was before the injury.

However, I don't think I will become a very good player. The knee just hinders me to much on the backhand side. Close the table table is fine, once I step back it's game over for me. Can't get any power on it. Quite a shame, because my forehand is a killer. It's quite tempting to try SP to see if they will play more to the forehand side. :lol:
Yet, I think I will remain a member of the light side, double inverted for me :rock:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 10:16 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
My lower back and knee (Patella wa KILLING me) issue went away for the most part. Took one year. I list in ranking what I did. Everyone else may experience different things.

1. Lost weight. The extra weight adds to and often creates these problems. Having less of me to move around all the time was HUGE.

2. Stopped living in Army camps in the Middle East. The climate is fierce, your diet was terrible, you eat chemicalized food all the time, the water is different, the soccer pitch is simply an open area of uneven level loose and tight packed sand, and you don't exactly sleep well all the time with the rocket or mortar attacks that happen every week or month.

3. Imporved diet.

4. Joined a Korean club and started to play on wood surface that flexes a bit. Before, I was always playing on concrete. You all know how that affects your joints over time and on Matchday...

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 22:20 

When we are participating in any sport we should keep it in our mind that it can be happen i mean things like that are a part of sport i have had a lot of injuries while being on my stuff but always faced it with bravery.