OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 01 May 2024, 18:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ouch! Sore Elbow
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 16:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've been getting a pain in my elbow recently. Originally I attributed it to a lot of flipping practice I was doing, but now I think it's actually being caused or at least aggravated by the jerky, violent wrist and elbow motions required for spinny serves. Does anyone else suffer from elbow pain caused by serving, and more importantly does anyone have any tips on how to treat or prevent it?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject: Re: Ouch! Sore Elbow
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 18:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
I've been getting a pain in my elbow recently. Originally I attributed it to a lot of flipping practice I was doing, but now I think it's actually being caused or at least aggravated by the jerky, violent wrist and elbow motions required for spinny serves. Does anyone else suffer from elbow pain caused by serving, and more importantly does anyone have any tips on how to treat or prevent it?

Get yourself an elbow strap that wraps around your forearm near the elbow and constricts how much your muscles can flex there. This prevents the muscles wearing away the sheathes around the nerves in the elbow area and then touching them, which is where the pain comes from. I have a similar issue and keep it under control with one of these. Works better than any creams I've ever used.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 18:58 
Super User

Stop playing for two weeks, or you are just aggrivating it, I've had it on and off for years. If you press your index finger and thumb together firmly, like you are making an 'O' sign, and you feel pain in your elbow, Its tennis elbow I'm afraid, and it gets worse as you get older.
To cope with this, use as light equipment as possible, and really try to loosen your grip.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 03:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Thank you for the advice. I'll take two weeks off and get an elbow strap. Reb can you insert a photo of exactly the type of elbow strap you are referring to so I can make sure to get the right thing?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 04:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
There are at least two fairly comprehensive threads on this topic on mytabletennis.net. Search there for "elbow". I myself just got over a 15-month bout with such "tennis elbow".

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 07:38 
Horse Hockey!

This brace is expensive but my very painful tennis elbow is almost gone since I bought it:

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc ... 50p560.htm

I can really tell the difference if I forget to wear it. Even with the brace I still get a real twinge of pain on some hard smashes (especially backhand) when the elbow gets hyper-extended.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 11:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I wear this one and it definitely helps (less than $15): http://www.muellersportsmed.com/Aircast ... upport.htm

I wouldn't say it prevents elbow hyperextension. It's more about dampening vibration in the forearm muscles during contact with the ball. It makes a significant reduction in the amount of pain I experience during/after TT play.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 23:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Thanks for the further advice on elbow braces. Do you wear it all the time (as long as you elbow is hurting), or just when you play TT?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 23:56 
Stir Crazy

mynamenotbob wrote:

In all seriousness, don't use a computer mouse in the hand you play with! If you must use a mouse, learn to do it with the other hand.

When I fronted at the physiotherapist with tennis elbow, the first question that was asked, "Do you use a computer mouse?" :n: The first instructions given, "Use the mouse with the other hand." :up:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 00:29 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Tassie52 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

In all seriousness, don't use a computer mouse in the hand you play with! If you must use a mouse, learn to do it with the other hand.

When I fronted at the physiotherapist with tennis elbow, the first question that was asked, "Do you use a computer mouse?" :n: The first instructions given, "Use the mouse with the other hand." :up:

Ah, the rate that MNNB is posting, no wonder; I bet he is using his forehand while posting and clicking. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 00:59 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Tassie52 wrote:

When I fronted at the physiotherapist with tennis elbow, the first question that was asked, "Do you use a computer mouse?" The first instructions given, "Use the mouse with the other hand."

That's an interesting connection I never thought about. My job does require an inordinate amount of time at the computer. You could have something there. Thanks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 01:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
Tassie52 wrote:

When I fronted at the physiotherapist with tennis elbow, the first question that was asked, "Do you use a computer mouse?" The first instructions given, "Use the mouse with the other hand."

That's an interesting connection I never thought about. My job does require an inordinate amount of time at the computer. You could have something there. Thanks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes Tassie has a very good point here. Mine is also associated with poor arm posture at the PC I am sure. The strap cybercall1 put up is something like what I would have posted.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 01:32 
Horse Hockey!

mynamenotbob wrote:
Thanks for the further advice on elbow braces. Do you wear it all the time (as long as you elbow is hurting), or just when you play TT?

I only wear it while playing.

As for using a mouse, I've been using a mouse for 25 years 8-12 hours a day and never had elbow problems until I started playing serious TT a few years ago. I once had issues with carpal tunnel pain in my "mouse-hand" but for at least 20 years I've used a silicone wrist pad that keeps my wrist straight. If my wrist "cups" either up or down then I'll have problems. But since I've used the pad I no longer have any wrist pain.

Something like this that can be purchased at any office supply store:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 19:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

A few weeks off and the "tennis elbow" brace worked wonders. No pain. Thanks guys!

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011, 02:18 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I just posted this in a different thread on someone's shoulder pain, so I figured I'd also post it here (since it's just as relevant to elbow pain) just in case your pain comes back:

I used to have pain in my neck and upper back on the right side whenever I'd play (or immediately afterwards), but then I read this book, and it pretty quickly went away afterwards:
http://www.amazon.com/Mindbody-Prescription-Healing-Body-Pain/dp/0446675156
(Just to be clear: I'm not in any way affiliated with the author and don't get any money in any form from his book sales.)

Depending on the nature of your problem, that may or may not work, but ....

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX