OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 10:07 
Horse Hockey!

Last year I had (table) tennis elbow really bad. It was hyper-extension on backhand shots that caused it for me. My coach at the time advocated extending the arm fully after a hit with pips (or even an inverted loop). I changed to a more wristy style that rotates around my elbow and keeps the 90deg angle. (William Henzell's videos on the backhand demonstrate that technique.)

I also added a good-quality elbow brace (Bauerfeind EpiPoint Elbow Strap) which helped stop the pain almost immediately. After about 3 months I didn't need the brace anymore and now only use it very occasionally if I feel a twinge.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012, 02:36 

Also, don't forget to drink a lot (water...). 1,5 to 2l per day. According to my physio, it's 50% of the treatment.
Avoid intensive use of computer's mouse or, at least, make sure your elbow rests on a solid support. Even better, if you are right hander and use the mouse with the right hand, swap hand and use the mouse with the left. Of course, invert if you are lefty. You got the picture...You canno't imagine how many tennis elbows come from a bad position at work.
Good luck and I wish you a prompt recovery.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 10:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Foe the last week (five sessions) I have been playing with a heavier that normal bat and now my elbow is quite sore. Is this the start of tennis elbow or the normal effects of playing a heavier setup than you're used to?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 06:25 

I've been suffering since i started to do a lot more chopping as opposed to looping (i think thats the reason) I've tried all sorts of painkillers, chinese rub on lotions and elbow supports, ive got vibration massages and used a powerplate vibration machine. I've tried heat pads and ice packs.

I think my own answer is to ease off the table tennis a bit ( hour sessions at a time and not 3 hour sessions) i then take a little extra time between sessions and only play when its benificial for my game and not at any oportunity.

To sum up I've cut about 8 or so hours helping other peoples games (playing juniors, and beginners) and am currently playing about 5-6 hours where i get something out of the practice.

For the first time in ages i feel that I'm almost on the mend.

Blade-TSP Balsa4.5,- Joola Drum CWX2.00mm fh- Snowflake 0.5 bh

Blade-TSP Balsa4.5- TinArc 2.2mm fh-Spinlord Stachelfeuer ox bh
Blade-DR NeubauerBarracade- Xiom Omega pro 2.00mm fh-TSP CurlP1r 0.5
Andro Tempa tec ar-Yinhe moon pro 2.00mm fh -Grass Dtecs ox bh
Blade-Chen Defender-Bryce 2.2mm fh - Nightmare 1.8 bh

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 10:37 

It sounds like you had very similar symptoms as me. I had bilateral tennis elbow for 2 years with excruciating, chronic pain. I tried everything mentioned on all these threads from injections, to physical therapy, to chiropractic, to vitamins, to supplements, to heat, to ice and so on. None of it worked, I was many different doctors and no one could figure it out.

To make a long story short, one simple book changed my life. "Healing Back Pain" by John Sarno. I know it says back pain in the title but its about a broader condition called TMS.

If you have tried everything and nothing seems to work, especially if the condition is chronic and MRI and other diagnositic tests don't find anything wrong. I highly recommend this book.

My pain went away after 2 weeks and have been pain free ever since. At least read the reviews from the book on amazon if you are skeptical. It's the real deal.

I also found this youtube video very helpful: "507 The Magic of John Sarno and Gay Hendricks in Healing the Body" It's a story told by a physician.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 16:01 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
haggisv wrote:
I know we've had a few topics on this before, but I don't seem to be able to find it :(

I seem to have developed a tennis elbow... which got a lot worse after yesterday's practice. It's been slightly sore for a few weeks, but after yesterday it's much more sore. I'm quite sure it's one of the tendons, and I don't think I've actually torn anything, as it's slowly developed and got worse after repetitive practice of a certain routine.

So my question is, what's the best way to make it heal the quickest? Since there is no swelling, I don't think cold packs will do anything, but perhaps heat packs will help? Would anyone recommend creams like 'deep heat'? Or would anti-inflammatary creams like Voltaren help?

Also if I do continue playing, would an elbow brace be a good idea?

Cheers guys!

PS I know we've discussed having a dedicated section to injuries and recovery topics before, which does not seem like a bad idea now, as these types of injuries are probably quite common.

Acupuncture works well for me along with massage :up: :up: :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 17:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
light paddle=good (mine is 155g). stopping play=not good because many of these symtoms come right back after a layoff and life is too short to sacrifice tt play days. mueller brace ok but falls apart pretty fast. I've tried at least 1/2 dozen different braces.. this one is best so far: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J0VI8S

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 01:06 

I'm a bit late getting into this but check out the discussion on Elmore Oil elsewhere on this forum. Get a free sample and try it. It will not interfere with anything else and lots of people have found good relief.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 18:22 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
From time to time if I have any the minor aches & pains of life I use Elmore Oil & it seems to work well not sure how but it seems to have some reasonable relief almost immediately.
An Aussie secret. :up: :up: :up:
It’s generally recommended for assistance in easing the pains of arthritis.
The formula has among other things olive oil, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil & vanilla, (in my opinion) worth having in your TT bag for those occasions.
But for ailments like carpel tunnel & tennis elbow I have found acupuncture to work a treat.. :*: :*: :*:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 19:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've just had my first treatment of acupucture :rock: Although the pain in the specific area seems to have eased by quite a bit immediately, I feel some mild aches in the other places near the elbow, as if they pain has shifted a little and spread out while getting milder. I expect this will improve a lot over the week, when I'll get one more treatment.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 21:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I created another thread on it, but like Gollum I have been using Elmore Oil too, and have found it seems to help the TT elbow as well as other injuries.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 18:07 
Super User

once you have it, you have it. That's it. It will never go away then... sometimes it's just almost not there anymore , sometimes it's more evident and sometimes it hurts more.... you have to live with it. What helps is stretching after exercise and warming up before.... :*

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 04:57 

haggisv wrote:
I've just had my first treatment of acupucture :rock: Although the pain in the specific area seems to have eased by quite a bit immediately, I feel some mild aches in the other places near the elbow, as if they pain has shifted a little and spread out while getting milder. I expect this will improve a lot over the week, when I'll get one more treatment.

I am very curious about acupuncture for TT elbow cure. It is the only treatment I haven't experienced yet. How has it been going for you so far ?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 05:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Attacker wrote:
once you have it, you have it. That's it. It will never go away then... sometimes it's just almost not there anymore , sometimes it's more evident and sometimes it hurts more.... you have to live with it. What helps is stretching after exercise and warming up before.... :*

+1. Curcumin supplements (a powerful natural anti-inflammatory) have helped me a lot, as does an arm brace. I've used many arm braces and this one is best so far: Serola Gel Arc Elbow Brace.

Also, using a lighter paddle helps a lot. My target weight is 155g.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 08:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
jolan wrote:
haggisv wrote:

I am very curious about acupuncture for TT elbow cure. It is the only treatment I haven't experienced yet. How has it been going for you so far ?

I have to book in my next session... got sick when my 2nd session was due, and then Christmas came up. I will persist though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next