OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Table Tennis and Knees
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 20:52 

Hi All. I come from a tennis background, having played at a high level since I was about 12. I'm now 32 and headed for my second knee operation in 15 months. I tore the meniscal cartlidge in my right knee, and now my left. So I'm seriously thinking about making the switch to table tennis. BUT, is table tennis any easier on your knees? The tennis serve puts a lot of pressure on my knees, and obviously you don't run as far during a table tennis match. But I don't want to swap if TT is just as tough. Both times I injured my knees I was running backwards for a smash - something you don't do in tt. Any advice welcome.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 22:00 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

While injurys can happen in almost any sport, Table Tennis does have its share of injurys. Torn rotor cuff, shoulder separations, Torn Archilles tendons, slips and falls. Yep not a contact sport..unless you play doubles and crack your partner with your blade spitting his hed open. If you play a defensive game( away from the table) you can injure your knees, ankles, etc. But if you will play closer to the table and take some time to learn the proper techniques, then I am sure you can transition from,tennis to table tennis and enjoy the work out. It does require faster cycle times, better hand eye cordination, and a good work out. Try it and see, but donot give up on it too early. WE have alot of players who also play tennis as well.
* youtube some videos or watch some from this web site.
Peace. GIG
:rock: :Chop:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 23:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I have a long-missing (27 years) posterior cruciate ligament and most my damaged meniscus removed. I can't really play tennis any more, but I still manage to play TT and have done for the last 5+ years at a reasonably high club level ~US2000. So yes, TT is a lot easier on the knees than tennis, though it is not invulnerable to injury (like any sport).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 01:01 
Horse Hockey!

I see a lot of knee braces at my club and I twisted my knee earlier this year and wore a brace for a month or two.

However, if you have GOOD footwork, unlike many other sports, you really shouldn't be twisting your knees too much. Table tennis is mostly played with a side-to-side shuffling movement though there are exceptions depending on your style of play or when playing doubles. There is at least one high-level senior US player (McAfee) who is practically immobile due to knee replacements and he still plays at the US 2300 rating level.

So bad knees don't have to stop you from playing!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 06:39 

Thanks for all the replies! I've also joined the gym to rehab and properly strengthen my legs, so that should help too. I might give TT a serious go then!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 15:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
A lot less pressure on the knees in table tennis ,I played tennis recently and sore knees next day,never get this from tt,I put it down to running in towards the net and a lot of pressure on the knee when pulling up to stop+the harder surface

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 00:45 
Horse Hockey!

That last post reminded me of something...GOOD SHOES. Tennis, basketball or running shoes will lead to foot and knee problems. For TT one needs good side support to keep the foot from rolling over. There are specialized TT shoes...volleyball and badminton shoes also work well. My shoes are made by Yonex (badminton) and I love them!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 03:19 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
cyber1call wrote:
My shoes are made by Yonex (badminton) and I love them!

Mine too - good support and very durable. SHB59 from memory. They have a squarish grip on the heel that keeps your feet very stable when the foot is planted.

185g

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012, 20:56 

Thanks so much for the replies. Saw my surgeon today. Had surgery last week on the knee. He basically said my competitive tennis days are over. Very sad because I'm only 32 and love the sport. BUT, I'm trying to look on the bright side. This means I'm going to start taking table tennis seriously. I'll get some lessons, buy a custom bat (thinking Stiga AllAround Classic with Sriver to get me started) and work out at the gym to protect my knees as much as possible. Oh, and per recommendations I'll get some good tt shoes.

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 22:54 

Injuries are a part of the sports,My suggestion for you is that you shouldn't quit but after recovering from you operation you should come back for it and start doing it like before.That is something which can help you.

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 23:54 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I have a long-missing (27 years) posterior cruciate ligament and most my damaged meniscus removed. I can't really play tennis any more, but I still manage to play TT and have done for the last 5+ years at a reasonably high club level ~US2000. So yes, TT is a lot easier on the knees than tennis, though it is not invulnerable to injury (like any sport).

Nearly identical to me Reb, except I had both lateral and medial meniscus removed. "Down to the bone" as the consultant put it. Have you had any signs of arthritis?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 00:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
dunc wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Nearly identical to me Reb, except I had both lateral and medial meniscus removed. "Down to the bone" as the consultant put it. Have you had any signs of arthritis?

Plenty Dunc! Riddled with it! Makes moving in TT very hard, sometimes impossible. Hence LP and a great chicken-wing LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 00:31 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Can you explain what the pain feels like, Reb? Is it like a "bone pain"? I get some annoying pains in my knee which make it difficult to move occasionally, and I'm not sure what it is. I guess it's the onset of arthritis but I'm not sure.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 07:30 

Hi All. As the OP, just thought I'd update you. I joined a gym in early March. Since then I've lost 12kgs. I've also been doing leg strengthening excercises like the leg press, lunges and eventually squats. Also lots of cycling. My knees have recoverred somewhat. If I try to jog or sprint it causes pain, but I'm ready to give tt another go now. I'm just going to have to be careful. I'm not going to play back to back days and I'm gonna keep doing the gym work. I'm realistic. My tennis days are over and I won't be jogging anymore because I want to be able to walk when I'm 50. I'm 33 now. But I think tt could be great for me.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2013, 01:58 
Super User

Had my first knee injury ever few weeks ago and i'm 48.

A nerve or something pops out and it's scary. Have not had it looked at yet,just stopped playing tennis till it feels better.

Have changed my t/t shoes to a lower height shoe. I feel with tennis, it's the shock of impacting concrete from a sudden slow-down of movement that causes most injury. With t/t,possibly more the twisting movement. At least that's where i feel my injury has come from,more the twisting rather than impact.

I wear walking shoes with two insoles when i play tennis,otherwise the high impact from running and the sudden stopping goes straight through the shoe into my legs and lower back big-time.

You don't need anywhere near as much shock absorption in t/t shoes as tennis shoes.

i'm wearing Spalding XT Lite shoes at the moment. They weigh 280g,have good grip and my left knee is not hurting so much as with my old pair that were too high off the ground,possibly causing loss of balance leading to excess twist.