OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 18:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 23:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
What Energy food / drinks do you take for tournaments and competitions?

Bananas work really well for me for long events, and I tend to drink drinks with some electrolytes.

I often feel like something salty or chocolate, but I'm not convinced it's actually good for you... might just give you a little kick...

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 23:17 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Look at my avatar :P Got to be a reason em tennis pros eating bananas! Yep I also prefer bananas over energy bars.
Drinking only water in high amount could cause electrolyte imbalance in the body which will lead to decrease in performance.
I think water is still the best paired with stuffs like bananas or something rich in minerals. Drinks with electrolytes are perfectly fine for me.

That's my point of view, gentlemen.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 23:45 
Super User

Bananas are very good to feel well-fed at the table. Key is to not have water immediately after bananas as it delays digestion and makes me feel drowsy. The last thing I want to feel!

Gatorade is my drink of choice. I avoid the 0 calorie version though. I also keep energy bars in my bag in case I feel really exhausted.

And I make sure to only eat half a meal in the afternoon.

All of this with a good carb-rich dinner the night before and more carbs in the morning. And good sleep.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 00:52 
Horse Hockey!

For us old guys we need to be wary of products high in potassium (like chocolate, bananas, fruit juice and energy drinks). As we get older our kidneys often don't process potassium as well and combined with dehydration this can cause hyperkalemia resulting in nausea, fatigue, and muscle weakness. These symptoms can be exacerbated by higher-than-normal adrenalin levels (i.e., stress). When severe, hyperkalemia can cause cardiac arrest. Sudden increases in potassium levels (such as may be introduced via bananas and energy drinks) can be especially dangerous since the early symptoms in acute cases of hyperkalemia are very similar to those caused by the high stress and exertion levels we experience under tournament conditions.

I'd recommend that anyone over 40 get a full blood panel done and determine their levels of protein, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus. (These are not routinely done by most MDs but really shouldn't be that expensive.) If any of these readings are near or out of their normal range then some underlying problem such as kidney disease may be indicated. Not knowing the status of such chemicals in your blood and then artificially boosting them can be a fatal mistake.

In the USA we have Ensure Clear which is low in potassium and sodium and high in protein and carbs. I think it makes a great sports drink. The manufacturer (Abbot) has other products but users need to read the labels carefully to see what's in each type of drink.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 00:59 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It depends for me if I'm playing well or crap and how much sleep I've had...

Geelong was my best tournament last year, there I had almost a full nights sleep and took no coffee or chocolate I only ate bananas. My worst tournament was Dandenong I would say but that was because I was injured pretty bad early on in the tournament. Played pretty bad in all the MSAC tournaments but I have to play all those on very small amounts of sleep so I don't have much choice but to take coffee at those because my eyes get really sore and tired and it's hard to play like that. Coffee doesn't cure you,, but makes you slightly more awake for a short time.

Second best tournament was Croydon, there I slept about..2 hours the first night and 6 hours the second, I was really tired but somehow woke up after some coffee in the important part of the tournament and played fairly well in the afternoon, not perfect but better than usual at a tournament. I must say that place had the best coffee I've ever tasted!. This is coming from someone that's got about 20 cups experience and only drinks it half warm with no milk.. still it was good.

Pretty much, coffee is good if you really need it.. bad if you don't. (note I never drink coffee outside a table tennis stadium so that it works real good when I do need it !:) ) I get the shakes when I have a coffee at first so I have to time it pretty well. Can't be shaking during a match.

I drink usually 3 or 4 litres of water during a tournament (per day) I don't eat breakfast or any other meals on tournament days in case I get sick in the guts. if it's a multi day tournament I'll eat at night. So I usually just snack on bananas and mandarins during the day. Most players I see around do the same (just eat bananas)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 13:07 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Banana and potato chips ( for the salt requirement of the body ). Then water..

As an employee of a beverage company, I drink energy drink too...

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 03:42 

If you wanted to be a little more effective with your nutrition for tournaments you will need to consume more than bananas and gatorade :)

Breakfast should be solid as it will set you up for the rest of the day. A great meal to have would be oatmeal with milk to which you can add toppings if you wish such as some sugar or honey, coconit oil or protein powder.

You should also obviously try to get a solid lunch in you but nothing too heavy, maybe a chicken salad sandwich. Its best to try workout your playing schedule and work around that becuase you dont want to eat a meal and go play but also you dont want to go play when your hungry (low energy).

In and around matches (and during matches) you can stay energized with bananas, gatorade, etc.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 11:33 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
As a type 1 diabetic food and ballance are REALLY important to me at any tournaments.

For tournaments I usually start my TT day with banana on toast, 1 or 2 kiwi fruit and my obligatory esspresso coffee. This needs to be ballanced with the insulin that I need to take for the amount of carbs in grams and to how much physical work I'm about to partake in. Also as I take a 24hr lasting insulin this needs to be adjusted the night before as well.

Then I usually just take small amounts of food drink and insulin as i need them between matches and games while cinstantly checking my blood sugar levels. I usually take a 1:1 ratio of sports drink to water so that I keep hydrated as well plus the sprts drink has sugar and that helps keep my levels from dropping too low (still needs plenty of monitoring though). I also take soft drink with me for instant liquid sugar if needed. Any low GI food is good for lasting energy and protein helps the stabalise the blood sugar levels. Well for me anyway...

After the days play, I usually get a massive feed for dinner at a local restaurant (most tourneys are away and not near home for me)

For regular competition, I usually take a bottle of water, a bottle of sports drink and just lower my insulin to compensate for the matches, but I still need to monitor my blood sugar level closely. As its only a 3-4hr comp night its not as hectic as a day long or weekend long event.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 20:57 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
For a full day tournament, I will generally take a couple of bottles of the low or zero calorie sports drinks (like G2 from Gatorade or PowerAde Zero), along with a large bottle of water. To snack on, I'll take some Clif bars and maybe some trail mix with nuts and fruit.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 22:48 

I do agree on that buddy,Banana is a very good fruit and rich in substances,That is a fruit which can be used for shakes as well and with milk it's nutrition goes to the next level.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 01:41 

Don't use any supplements or steroids to boost your energy because they can cause some bad reactions for the health.
You should focus on natural foods and drinks to boost your energy level. Fresh fruits juices, shakes, and high protein foods can be the right choices to boost your energy level and also your performance in the game.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 07:09 
Hard Justice

Coca-Cola. Works every time.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 16:35 

Not only for competitions but being a sports person i should be active for whole day. So for boosting my energy i do exercise and with that take Green drink in daily life. I feel energetic and it gives me power to compete with my competitors.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 04:40 
Super User

Watched last week prior to kick off,the Tottenham striker Adebayor drinking a Red Bull energy drink!

Now I thought drinking something so high in caffeine might be downright dangerous if you are about to run your heart out. Might raise your heartbeat too high?

So I was a bit surprised.

For me sleep is the key. The best i have ever played was after eating a veggie pizza,go figure.

Don't touch any low calorie drinks or food....ever.....aspartame is poison.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 08:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
mac33 wrote:
Don't touch any low calorie drinks or food....ever.....aspartame is poison.

Can you elaborate please? :o