OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 06:09 

Anyone ever try playing after having surgery to repair rotor cuff on your non playing arm. I had the surgery on 18 February, have been able to play at a decent level but my forehand loop is suffering since I am unable to pull with my left shoulder to start the loop. Been working on my backhand alot more but because I am wearing a sling it is very dificult to loop away from table with backhand. Anybody else been through this?

Last edited by ebark63 on 22 Mar 2013, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 09:17 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I had a torn rotor cuff in my playing shoulder. Was out for at least 6 months before i even looked at a bat. If i were you, i wouldn't play for awhile. Talk to your doctor about when you can get back to any kind of sports. I don't know about you but i was in some serious pain for 2 weeks. But mine was a pretty bad tear. I have 4 holes on the outside and I'm "glued, screwed, and tattooed" on the inside. I would rather you take your time and heal than take a chance and hurt yourself again.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 09:59 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Take time off and let your shoulder heal.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 12:46 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Yeah, I think you have come back way too early. I had shoulder surgery last year and didnt touch a bat for at least 2 months. I didnt loop until after almost 4 months. There is a healing period (6 weeks??? - ask your surgeon) where you shouldnt play and after that take it slowly, build it up with your physio exercises, then let your body tell you when you are ready. The worst thing you can do is play too hard too early and then just ruin all the work of the op.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 19:46 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I haven't damaged a shoulder but I found it interesting about your non playing arm, the entire left side of my body is double the size of my right because of my loop and I'm right handed.... The amount of work the lower left side of my abbs especailly puts into the beginning of the loop is quite amazing. Same goes for the back and neck, left hand side takes all the load. The only time I've started getting sore on the right side is since I've been chopping on the backhand.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 23:28 

Did not realize that I put the wrong month down for surgery. Healing pretty good, have pain once in a while. Talked with two different doctors and both said it would be ok. One even said it would help with rehab. I don't go all out any more and let alot of balls pass that I normally could reach. Using this time to work on my backhand attacks and pushes playing mainly close to table. So far I haven't made shoulder any more painful so I plan to just take it easy and work on my short game. Thanks for all your replies. Ed

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 00:07 
Super User

Agree that you should simply take time off away from the game.

Funny/interesting story. Few years ago, I must have had some partial tear or strain on my left shoulder (I'm left handed) playing volleyball. Never got surgery and it got better in time. But learned how to spike right handed. ;)

Anyways, few months ago aggravated it doing pushups with my two year old daughter sitting on me (bad idea). Took about a month 1/2 for it to come completely normal. In that time I started playing right handed which was kinda fun. Did okay for 1st time. Feel like that's now always an option should something wacky ever happen to it again.

For the record, the left shoulder is fine now and feels great.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 08:49 
Super User

There was a similar post recently by haggisv but couldn't find it...

for what it's worth, rotator cuff or tennis elbow problems, the easiest solution prior to any surgery imo, is just rest.

If rest doesnt work, rest some more. Twenty years of tennis has destroyed my body (wrong sport :headbang: !!! and introduced me to the world of pushblocking with fast blades and long pips.

People who have lots of strokes that have the wrist snap everywhich way, its just too risky and suggests that players who economize and use less variety eg not looping will avoid injuries.