OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 01:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
The thread regarding ruptured achilles here, got me to thinking how I sometimes take silly risks to my own health in going for shots in this game. Silly, because if I injure myself again (yes, I have taken myself out of the game through injury - read the achilles thread ;) ) then one great shot (or even a failed shot that promised to be great) will not have been worth it. Having said this, its very difficult to be disciplined enough to pull yourself off a shot due to potential injury that could occur.

So, I think it would be interesting to know what level of risk others go to in the game, what injuries (or even near-misses) you have encountered and any other interesting anecdotes you have regarding "out of the ordinary" positions you have put yourself into in this game.

Also, if you have a way to avoid throwing yourself into a dangerous position, then I'd also love to hear your secret for doing so. :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 01:53 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
The thread regarding ruptured achilles here, got me to thinking how I sometimes take silly risks to my own health in going for shots in this game. Silly, because if I injure myself again (yes, I have taken myself out of the game through injury - read the achilles thread ;) ) then one great shot (or even a failed shot that promised to be great) will not have been worth it. Having said this, its very difficult to be disciplined enough to pull yourself off a shot due to potential injury that could occur.

So, I think it would be interesting to know what level of risk others go to in the game, what injuries (or even near-misses) you have encountered and any other interesting anecdotes you have regarding "out of the ordinary" positions you have put yourself into in this game.

Also, if you have a way to avoid throwing yourself into a dangerous position, then I'd also love to hear your secret for doing so. :up:

To be honest: behind the table I'm reckless. I take al kind of shots in the most awkward positions if needed, even when this can cause injury. I sometimes train until I drop, which is a situation where an injury is more probable. I hit my hand once against a goalpost when defending far away from the table. I fell a couple of times.

In the seven years I play competitive table tennis I was only injured twice: one time when I fell backwards and my foot was jammed between the floor and my falling leg for a fraction of a second, resulting in a tiny muscle tear. Even then I kept playing the weeks after, but it was clear I needed a rest (the pain was very acute when too much pressure was on the muscle). After two/three weeks rest I was back.

The second time is now and is a result of an overload on my shoulder (I think). it's more of a stifness/ache (sometimes). Most of the times I feel nothing. I also kept playing, but it got worse. I rested for two weeks and had a week of infrared treatment. It healed for the most part. I still, however, have the problem when topspinning heavy (against backspin) for a while and when I'm sitting at my computer for too long. I'm planning to go the doctor.

The strangest thing is I'm quite careful in the rest of life.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 04:45 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I roll my ankle and pop my knees out of joint all the time while playing TT, I usually rip a chest or stomach muscle too, sometimes a bicep. Couldn't care less really that's just a normal nights table tennis to me and the least of my problems ;P. They all heal fast enough that I'm fixed by the next week. The only bad injury ever was the infamous hip tendon rippage I got at Dandenong a couple years ago, which still hurts a bit and I don't think will ever fully heal or have full mobility in that hip. Well maybe it will because it's still improving but it's going to be many years until it's "right", I could only move that hip a few degrees for the first 6 months after I did it but I still played all the rest of the tournaments that year. It probably would have healed fast if I hadn't of played the rest of the tournament on the day I hurt it.. and the tournament the next day after that.. and run around the sports ground and suburb trying to snap it back into place all day :p (I thought it was out of joint as that's how it felt at first :swear: )

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 06:13 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

I take the highest risks at the Nationals or Open when playing on concrete. At this year's Open, the concrete actually gave pretty darned good traction. Nonetheless, I planted a foot hard a couple times only to have it slide out from underneath me. No injury, but it was close. I also almost rolled an ankle when I didn't lift my foot high enough when moving sideways. Fortunately, I seem to be pretty good at taking weight off of rolled ankles or falling softly when my footing goes away. So I've avoided such injuries.

As far as preventing injuries, I guess I just focus on getting into position as early as possible and trying to stay on balance at all times. I'm also not going to dive for the ball as I used to when playing volleyball. I've turned that reaction off.

I think my biggest risks are strains from repetitive use and bashing my hand into the table from time to time.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 07:38 
Horse Hockey!

Over the last year I've developed severe (and still undiagnosed) muscle and nerve weakness in my legs. That combined with balance issues and if I let myself reach or lean to far in any direction--down I go. I've fallen sideways, backwards, forwards and have the bruises to show for it. If you've seen the videos of Coach McAfee then you can visualize my latest close-to-the-table style necessary just to keep from falling over. I can take about one step in either direction. Balls in the corner or cutting the sides...their point...it's not worth getting hurt over! If anyone was wondering, that's why I've switched to a SP/LP combo like Coach McAfee. And he's right about Crop Circles too BTW...the best LP I've tried so far.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 09:55 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I endure the demands of Table Tennis very well but thrre is a physical limit to how much hardcore Tt one can do and all thos 3 to 8 hour sessions can add up to certain ovrrused muscles like hamstrings and waist if you play an explosive high spin and power game like me.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 11:43 
Super User

I would love to be a looper two winged and all but I would also love to be a tennis player. Tried them both...way too demanding for me.

Prefer pushblocking and the slow stuff but if forced, then the strokes come out and chop, chop, chop and away...

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 13:14 
Super User

I've never seen a player willing to dive for balls as much as me...especially in cases where the ball touches the net and drops short. Basically there's no ball that I don't think I can get to. This isn't too dangerous, however. I just end up with bloody knees. More risky is my habit of playing without sufficient stretching and warm up - or playing too long when tired. I have chronic herniated discs, and arthritis, and these can flare up without sufficient precautions.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 13:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
poor_knight wrote:
I've never seen a player willing to dive for balls as much as me...especially in cases where the ball touches the net and drops short. Basically there's no ball that I don't think I can get to. This isn't too dangerous, however. I just end up with bloody knees. More risky is my habit of playing without sufficient stretching and warm up - or playing too long when tired. I have chronic herniated discs, and arthritis, and these can flare up without sufficient precautions.

You need to come see me play then PK :lol: I have always had the greatest instinctive reactions in both ball and racket sports to "never say die" until the ball is completely dead. It was ok when I was younger, although even then I still remember bruised hips when diving full stretch, body and racket horizontal to the floor to return a ball in both squash and TT. But now I am older I wish I could "turn this reaction off" as Wturber up there ^. :^) But how? The mind still doesn't know the body's limits! :headbang: The one thing I can be thankful for at least is I have become generally wise enough to consider how I land when I dive for a ball and tend to control it fairly well so as not to sustain too much injury. I just wish I could say "let this one go"!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 08:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Risks taken are inversely proportional to the number of injuries sustained in the past and to their severity.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 00:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Gosh.. Torn muscles?? I guess I'm not swinging the bat hard enough then.. Image

Can't say I've injured myself playing table tennis, but I've had a really sore shoulder once or twice (usually after a tournament). One person at my college club eventually developed some very painful knees, he thought it was from the table tennis.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 00:50 
Super User

biggest risk I take playing table tennis is when I go for a shot to close to the table and possibly take a chunk of my bat

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 06:58 
Super User

No risk at all.
Comparing to other sports, table tennis is like walk in the park. That is the main reason I play only table tennis now at age 39.
As a younger man, I enjoyed lots of ruff contact sports with lot of beating and injures (like handball or judo). I cannot even hurt my arm or shoulder because it is pretty strong. TT is one of easiest sports and you can dose you engagement so you don't hurt yourself...I hope I can play it as long as I can stand. :rock:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2014, 18:59 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I too am blessed/burdened with a never say die attitude that means no point is over until it is completely over. Last night I took out 3 barriers and hit the deck chasing what might have been regarded a dead cause. Problem was the barriers were custom made, out of wood! Ouch! There was reward though as I won the point by getting a forehand in, at a fairly key part of the game too. I don't think the shot was the greatest quality, but the disturbance of me and barriers flying all over the place probably distracted my opponent just enough.

185g