OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Achilles Rupture
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 02:47 

Morning,
Just thought Id share my experience and advice having gone through an Achilles rupture and recovery.

A couple of years ago I started training heavily after a long period of no activity. I was in the habit of just going out and playing. Not stretching often.

I just jumped on the court one day cold and started playing. Within the first 10 minutes of warming up I lunged for a BH chop and heard a LOUD sound like a gunshot. I remember falling and trying to get up, but my foot was flopping around and so the gang got me sitting down right away with some ice.
After the hospital visit, I had a cast put on for months, then transferred to a adjustable boot to stretch the tendon after healing.
It was a sucky 3/4 yr recovery, but I didn't miss a TT session. I was able to block for others with one leg on a chair and it really helped me in the long run..lol
Eventually I recovered and was back at playing ball. The most important thing in the recovery was stretching and lots of ice after playing.
I'd like to say that this could have been prevented, with good habits and routines.
Don't forget to stretch, especially if you are over 40! LOL.
To this day its weak and doing better, but it will never be the same.
Stretch guys.... don't forget.
Cheers

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Achilles Rupture
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 02:52 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Wow - what an experience. Thanks for sharing that. We're not invincible, and it behoves us to remember that!

What stretches do you recommend prior to playing / training?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 03:07 

Good ques. LC,
I say any calf stretching routine works. Just as along as you do it.
One more point, if you have muscular calves, you better stretch. Reason being, when your muscles contract, they put even more pressure on the tendon!
If that tendon is cold, its a risk.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 11:12 
Comeback Chopper

sleepy wrote:
Morning,
Just thought Id share my experience and advice having gone through an Achilles rupture and recovery.

A couple of years ago I started training heavily after a long period of no activity. I was in the habit of just going out and playing. Not stretching often.

I just jumped on the court one day cold and started playing. Within the first 10 minutes of warming up I lunged for a BH chop and heard a LOUD sound like a gunshot. I remember falling and trying to get up, but my foot was flopping around and so the gang got me sitting down right away with some ice.
After the hospital visit, I had a cast put on for months, then transferred to a adjustable boot to stretch the tendon after healing.
It was a sucky 3/4 yr recovery, but I didn't miss a TT session. I was able to block for others with one leg on a chair and it really helped me in the long run..lol
Eventually I recovered and was back at playing ball. The most important thing in the recovery was stretching and lots of ice after playing.
I'd like to say that this could have been prevented, with good habits and routines.
Don't forget to stretch, especially if you are over 40! LOL.
To this day its weak and doing better, but it will never be the same.
Stretch guys.... don't forget.
Cheers

Sleepy,

Thanks so much for your description of your achilles tendon injury.

You can read about my achilles tendon injuries at viewtopic.php?f=68&t=22639 Reb wrote many posts about his experiences with this terrible injury. He also has interesting comments on my post.

I just want to write something about stretching. I discussed stretching with my physical therapist. As he told me, and you can read peer review articles on the web, it is unclear whether there is any benefit to stretching, and in fact, for some activities stretching can increase the chance of injury. For example, a study on the impact of stretching on runners found that those who stretched prior to running had a larger frequency of injuries compared to those that did no stretching. However my physical therapist told me this study did not distinguish between runners with different abilities. He said that the quality of peer review research on stretching is weaker than in many other areas, and so one is usually on their own in terms of guidance on the benefit of stretching. He said that nowadays most experts would recommended simple warm-up exercises without stretching. Nevertheless, because of my knee pain, he has suggested some stretching exercises after warming up, which do seem to be helpful for me.

There was a study done in France, I believe, which examine 29 cases where table tennis players completely ruptured their achilles tendon. If I recall correctly, the mean time of the injury was 45 minutes after starting to play table tennis. As a result, the author felt that warming up probably wasn't a key factor in causing the ruptured achilles tendon. My physical therapist said that most likely these injuries arise from tired and weak achilles tendons and calf muscles that can't handle the load being applied. However, as he noted, there are multiple possible causes of achilles tendon ruptures. My concern is that I am predisposed to this type of injury because it has happened to me twice. As the saying goes, the best predictor of a future injury is a previous injury.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 22:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
My calves had always been larger than most people's. The calf on the leg where the rupture occurred is now half the size of the other. Mine snapped going down to chop a ball back in doubles, and my legs were well warmed up for the night. I think the pressure the calf put on the achilles trying to get up from the chop was what snapped it.I haven't repeated the specific action I took for that chop in the 5 years since :oops: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 22:05 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

My calves are the size of my wrists and if you've seen my wrists you know I won't be breaking my Achilles from excessive calf power anytime soon :rofl: .

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 22:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Wiry guys like you foam, don't usually snap anything besides the mind :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 23:03 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Lol, you think I'm crazy wait till you meet my son. The kid is already noticeably not normal, he's screams like he's pushing out a 500lb bench press whenever his hands won't do what his mind wants them to do. Cracks me up,he's very aggressive. He's tiny too. Everyone tells me he's so alert, must be genius for a four month old... I say that's because he's six months old:p

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 18:33 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
how painfull was the rupture on a scaöe of 1-10?