OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 07:16 
Super User

Playing too much sport and my oldish legs are so stiff they can hardly bend anymore,unless I'm rested.

Any tips on diet or maybe take cold/hot showers which I did try while back. Improvement was moderate.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 07:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Isn't it some salt / Magnesium that helps prevent this? I know a few people that put just a little of this in their drinks, to help prevents cramps & such.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 07:21 
Super User

I am pretty young, but I use to be in far better shape a couple of years ago. Just recently my training has gotten FAR more athletic and after some recent training sessions when I tried to continue playing againts others at the club I had this exact problem.

My solution is regular stretching and excerise. There is a million stretches you can do for you legs(calf, hamstring, and thigh), some jogging, and light squats. Have done wonders. Mostly though I recommend stretching morning, night, before and after play.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 13:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
A diet change can really help!

The average person eats far too much acid forming foods. A shift towards alkaline forming foods is essential to avoid lactic acid or any acid buildup.

Acid forming foods:
98% of grains
all meats
all dairy products

Alkaline forming foods:
all vegetables
98% of all fruits.

It is hard to make dramatic change, but if you can, it will help your life in many ways. I have done this. I switched my diet from 80% acid forming to 40% acid forming foods. I got fanatical. (I had to defeat acid reflux) please see the below photo. This is my staple food for about 10 meals a week. I eat vegetables for breakfast 5 times a week! This photo shows cubed potatoes and carrots. I have these carrots and potatoes for breakfast, often fried with onions.

It starts with different shopping habits.

Thanks for listening to my "veggie sermon."

Attachments:
veggie-in-pot.jpg
veggie-in-pot.jpg [ 124.11 KiB | Viewed 3461 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 14:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Wouldn't be lactic acid, heart rate wouldn't be getting high enough for a sustained amount of time. Just muscles doing things they aren't used to.

Its hard to put this post in context without knowing your age and maybe your BMI. Perhaps its normal at your age, perhaps you just need to get off the couch a bit more. A bit of walking/running might go a long way along with better diet. Good luck. :up:

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 15:52 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Does drinking or eating pineapple or other fruits rich in vitamin c increase lactic acid build up? :^)

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 17:22 
Super User

Thanks for some really good replies especially from Glen regarding acid build up!

Funny have been thinking for last few days that I'm going to have to eat more home made soup.

And less chocolate. Don't eat much bread but can't go without my toasted cheese and tomato.

Yes,I do find stretching legs after exercise helps for sure.

At 48,playing minimum of two sports daily is starting to take its toll on my legs!

When I go for a backhand at tennis and I'm reaching out a bit further than normal,my legs sometimes buckle under the strain and I pull the shot real wide. Joys of old age perhaps.

Have been doing this routine for close on 25 years now,with no injuries so can't really complain.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 21:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I've been playing in compression pants for a while now. It definitely helps the recovery in the legs and how sore they get. I just got cheap ones from Kmart. You can pay a small fortune for the proper "skins" ones. I don't know if they're any better. I know when I play in just shorts without the compressions underneath now, the legs feel it more. So check them out Mac.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 21:52 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

A grain free diet is certainly a large advantage to human life in general. I used to often have sore knees, sometimes to the point of struggling to walk until I quit wheat. But they are like brand new now. I 95% follow the SCD diet now which is grain free because I'm limiting immune system problems but it would still be a solid diet for anyone. Ive been building up my weight a few kg these last months because I'm planing on doing three month full raw food very soon to re terrain my gut bacteria and no doubt will struggle to hold my weight while doing that.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 00:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Red_lion asked:
Quote:
Does drinking or eating pineapple or other fruits rich in vitamin c increase lactic acid build up? :^)

The answer is: If a person has a diet that has too many acid forming foods, then "acidic fruits" like lemons, oranges and grapefruits turn to acid in your system.

But....If a person has a diet that has plenty of alkaline forming foods, then "acidic fruits" like lemons, oranges and grapefruits turn to alkaline in your system.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 04:53 
Super User

Less grains for me then. I am a big fan of raw milk but not the heated/cooled milk also called pasteuriized milk. Bread is made but brown rice can't be too bad being unprocessed to greater degree.

There is an organic farm few miles from my house,might have to check it out soon. All those veggies that are sprayed with chemicals to kill bugs,can only believe they are not doing me much good either!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 07:30 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Oh yeah if you are going to do any grain, rice is the best of them. Well least damaging for sure. Wheat and Rye are the worst followed closely by Corn, Oats are somewhere in the middle, problem is Corn is just about everything that is processed. The problem with grains are pretty wide reaching but obviously its the fact over 50% of Australian's carry one of the genes that sets you up for celiac disease is a big issue here.

That and because they produce an unnatural grain based flora in your gut which is more like the species a rabbit carries isn't good for the human immune system and makes you release more inflammatory cytokines. Plus the usual problem with proteins that don't digest easily being mistaken for parasites and then you have the possibility of the immune system seeing another similar cell in the body as a foreign protein , then you have an autoimmune disease. So its best to keep things easy to digest.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 08:07 
Super User

Interesting foam,but for now I believe that vaccines are the cause of these auto immune diseases. The body's immune system turns on itself as Dr Carley mentions on her website.

Grain is natural so for now not totally convinced its so bad.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 09:21 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Mac33, vaccines definitely increase the TH2 side of the immune system without the natural increase in TH1 which happens with a live virus. And my problems came around at a similar time to having the hep b shots. But I was likely already imbalanced by then as I'd had gut problems already throughout childhood and ended up celiac later on. Still I'm suspicious enough about the imbalance caused by vaccines to have risked not vaccinating my young son yet. I will in a limited way later on though once his immune system has been set but still wont do anything that's non essiential so I won't follow the standard protocol.

Still I dont belueve vaccines have anywhere near as strong effect on the immune systems balance as the wrong gut bacteria does or even the damage done by grains but it all adds up to failure when you combine them all. The thing with grains is that by nature you can not digest them at all, they are built to resist digestion and grow once you poo them out :). Only cooking and grinding made them semi digestible and we humans never came with an inbuilt oven.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 22:47 

glennholder wrote:
Red_lion asked:
Quote:

The answer is: If a person has a diet that has too many acid forming foods, then "acidic fruits" like lemons, oranges and grapefruits turn to acid in your system.

But....If a person has a diet that has plenty of alkaline forming foods, then "acidic fruits" like lemons, oranges and grapefruits turn to alkaline in your system.

What a load of old hooey.

Gastric juices have a ph of 1-2. Please tell me how it is remotely possible for that to become alkaline?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/alkaline-diets-what-to-know

and my chickening out setup..
Donic Waldner Allplay
Stiga Boost TC 2.0 forehand
Stiga Boost TC 1.8 backhand