OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 06:46 

Hello all,

There are some threads about tennis elbow treatment already but I didn't find much information about cortisone treatment so here is my story.

Last year September I developed a severe tennis elbow due to overtraining (2 times a week 3 hour sessions in my case). The first months I tried to cure the injury with rest, stretching and massage but it was not getting much better so finally I went to my doctor who told me to see an Orthopedic. The Orthopedic made an echo of the outer elbow area and there was clearly an inflammation in the tendon (the monitor showed a kind of ridge where the inflammation was, like: ---^--- ). So he gave a cortisone injection in the tendon to lower the inflammation and told me to come back in 2 weeks if it did not cure in in that time. This first injection took away about 70% of the inflammation. So 2 weeks later I got a second shot and again 2 weeks later the last one.

Now I am training again! Half an hour a week to start with.. after 3 weeks it feels more stable so I guess I can increase training time now. I told the Orthopedic next time I'll take the injections right away because stretching and rest didn't do anything good. His reply was that rest & stretching can actually work, just not in my case.

I hope this is of any help :)

Kurios

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 15:00 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Kurious, doctors tend to use it only as a last resort before surgery these days. Not sure why as every time I've had cortisone on a long standing injury its fixed it within a couple of days. Ive had a sore hip now for a couple of years so I'm planing to do the same soon.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 18:24 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Kurios, we almost have the same set up except on the BH. In terms of training, we almost have the same training hours.
But for injury, I feel it in my wrist. I have to take a rest for a week whenever I feel pain in my wrist.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 21:11 

Red_lion wrote:
Kurios, we almost have the same set up except on the BH. In terms of training, we almost have the same training hours.
But for injury, I feel it in my wrist. I have to take a rest for a week whenever I feel pain in my wrist.

If you get pain in your wrist you might want to cut down your playtime before it becomes chronic. (telling from experience!)

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 23:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
After doing some of my own research, it seems cortisone is not real good for you, and it's not advisable to have it on multiple occasions for the same injury.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 01:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I've read that cortisone injections -- especially multiple injections to the same location -- can weaken the tendons and make them prone to rupture (breaking). I suffered with tennis elbow from playing table tennis for years, tying numerous exercises (some at the direction of an orthopedic doctor) with zero improvement. I would take a break from the game, feel some improvement, and then return to the game only to have the symptoms come right back.

As of a few months ago I am virtually symptom-free; a change I attribute to two things:

1. http://www.armaid.com This $100 device can't really be called an exercise; it's more of a home therapy. Watch the videos on their website. It's a bit painful, but WOW. It works! I only needed to use it for a couple of weeks to break down what felt like a painful lump in my forearm muscles. I never knew this lump was there until running it through Armaid's roller balls under pressure.

2. Guinea Hen Weed (aka Anamu). I learned about this medicinal herb on a recent trip to Jamaica. It's been used for millennia by cultures in central and south america and has a wide range of purported health benefits, one of which is a powerful anti-inflammatory. I drink it as a tea a few days a week but it's also available in capsule form. It's not the best smelling stuff (its nickname is 'garlic weed') but taken with honey it's not half bad.

Attachments:
armaid-open.jpg
armaid-open.jpg [ 13.98 KiB | Viewed 6316 times ]

Last edited by nathanso on 27 Jan 2014, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 03:26 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
i had problems with my knees and tenniselbow - cortisone injections always helped

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 04:39 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Everything I've read says cortisone shots are not safe for long term use and should be used conservatively. Also, it only relieves the pain but doesn't fix the problem. While researching tennis elbow cures, I ran across an inexpensive solution called the Tyler Twist using a Theraband Flexbar. I had tennis elbow for about 6 months before doing the exercise and after a little over 2 months of doing the exercise, I am now pain free. I recommend it highly. Amazon has the best price on the Theraband Flexbar (about $12 for the red Flexbar)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 06:48 

GMan4911 wrote:
Also, it only relieves the pain but doesn't fix the problem.

Before the first shot there was a clear inflammation (tested manually and with echo) and after the last one the inflammation was gone. Thats to say, it was not noticable manually and my arm felt lots better. I am playing for over a month now without any trouble.

Last edited by kurios63 on 27 Jan 2014, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 10:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've got one of those flexbars....only recently started using it, so it's too early to tell if it's going to work. Trouble is to remember to do the excercise, coz when there's no pain (when you're not using it) you tend to forget about it. :oops:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 12:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have the green flex bar.. never noticed any improvement from using it.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 14:18 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
nathanso wrote:

How long and how often have you been doing it? I did more than the recommended number of reps per day and I didn't notice any improvements until 4 or 5 weeks. Initially, I also took prescription strength naproxen to reduce the inflammation as well deeply massaging the forearm.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

nathanso wrote:
I've read that cortisone injections -- especially multiple injections to the same location -- can weaken the tendons and make them prone to rupture (breaking). I suffered with tennis elbow from playing table tennis for years, tying numerous exercises (some at the direction of an orthopedic doctor) with zero improvement. I would take a break from the game, feel some improvement, and then return to the game only to have the symptoms come right back.

As of a few months ago I am virtually symptom-free; a change I attribute to two things:

1. http://www.armaid.com This $100 device can't really be called an exercise; it's more of a home therapy. Watch the videos on their website. It's a bit painful, but WOW. It works! I only needed to use it for a couple of weeks to break down what felt like a painful lump in my forearm muscles. I never knew this lump was there until running it through Armaid's roller balls under pressure.

2. Guinea Hen Weed (aka Anamu). I learned about this medicinal herb on a recent trip to Jamaica. It's been used for millennia by cultures in central and south america and has a wide range of purported health benefits, one of which is a powerful anti-inflammatory. I drink it as a tea a few days a week but it's also available in capsule form. It's not the best smelling stuff (its nickname is 'garlic weed') but taken with honey it's not half bad.

Wow that contraption looks impressive!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 16:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

GMan4911 wrote:
nathanso wrote:

How long and how often have you been doing it? I did more than the recommended number of reps per day and I didn't notice any improvements until 4 or 5 weeks. Initially, I also took prescription strength naproxen to reduce the inflammation as well deeply massaging the forearm.
I didn't stick with it as long as you, but I did keep at it longer than it took for my ArmAid to fix my problem.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 07:06 

Reporting back on the cortisone. After 2 months of playing I did a longer session of 1 hour and increased use of strength with backhand shots. It s*cks but after this session the tennis arm came back. Luckely not as bad as before but bad enough to have to stop playing.

I didn't see the Orthopedic again as 3 shots are max. So I learned to play left handed :lol: and bought a red Flexbar for eccentric excersises. The arm feels better now but I won't be playing with it before I am sure it's totally healed.

In hindsight I would say cortisone is great but it wasn't a good idea to start playing again as soon it felt good. First the shots and then rehabilitation and strengtening of the tendon makes more sense. Anyway, I do not suggest to start with injections first thing. First try regular methods. If that fails take cortisone BUT do not not start playing as soon it feels good. Rehabilitate first!

Kurios