OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 18:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 02:30 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Hi all,

I usually play around 9 - 15 hours per week. I play Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and sometimes Fri/Sun too.

At the moment I'm finding that physically I'm lacking energy to maintain this regimen. I feel lethargic, body feels tense and quite tender (muscle soreness, etc).

So, two-prong question here...

Firstly, what should I do to make sure I'm in the best physical condition to play? On match days I strictly eat good carbs 4 hours before then reasonable carbs 1 hour before I play. That tends to work. However, on a Saturday when I play at 1030, there's no chance I can get up that early and even if I did I'd be exhausted and pretty useless!

Secondly, what can I do to recover from playing? Should I be considering upping the amount of protein in my diet or consuming a protein shake immediately after playing?

Thanks in advance :)

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 02:44 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Good question Dunc! I don't know much about the nutrition side of it, but are you warming up (and down) properly?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 03:29 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

God no.. :D I'm never sure I feel comfortable doing that :/ Something I need to get into the habit of I guess!

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 23:51 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
dunc wrote:
At the moment I'm finding that physically I'm lacking energy to maintain this regimen. I feel lethargic, body feels tense and quite tender (muscle soreness, etc).

1. Be in the habbit of stretching both before and after playing. Lot's of people I know may stretch before playing but don't stretch aftewards.

2. Ask yourself a question. When you feel like you're lacking energy, think about something else that you really enjoy doing. Would you still be lacking in energy if you were given the option to do that instead of carrying on with your practice routine. Sometimes a lack of energy is more a mental warning something isn't right rather purely being physical. Now is the off season in the UK, playing as much as you are you could be suffering burn out. What chance are you giving yourself to both physically and mentally recouperate and recover from a hard winter season?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2014, 20:34 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I think you could be bang on the money there, Debater. I've been struggling a little bit with low mood outside of TT so I guess that's having a detrimental effect too.

Unfortunately, we're still playing at the moment - summer league! I played in Division 1 last night and will be playing for my home team in Division 2 this evening. After that though I'm not gonna touch my bat until Saturday. Gonna leave coaching, not go on Thurs or Fri, and just try to relax and do something else.

I'm still really enjoying playing but struggling with energy/motivation for training sessions. Thing is though.. how else do you improve? Surely there comes a point, such as this, where you just have to work through it if you really want to continue improving?

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 01:31 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
dunc wrote:
I think you could be bang on the money there, Debater. I've been struggling a little bit with low mood outside of TT so I guess that's having a detrimental effect too.

Unfortunately, we're still playing at the moment - summer league! I played in Division 1 last night and will be playing for my home team in Division 2 this evening. After that though I'm not gonna touch my bat until Saturday. Gonna leave coaching, not go on Thurs or Fri, and just try to relax and do something else.

I'm still really enjoying playing but struggling with energy/motivation for training sessions. Thing is though.. how else do you improve? Surely there comes a point, such as this, where you just have to work through it if you really want to continue improving?

Hmm, had that a couple of years ago. Don't go to far with your body: it will cause injuries and other nasty things (like mental fatigue when it comes to TT). Listen to it (I know that's quite hard for people like us). You might want to build up to that 9-15 hours regimen. You start with the amount of hours you find pleasant to bear after a short braek: you're going in the red atm. Then you build up the hours spent on TT, but slowly. Take your time for that.

You also might consider taking up another sport (like running) to relax and build up stamina, because I know TT is something you want to be good at and that causes stress. Think about people who like their work: it's not because they like it, that they don't experience stress. They also have hobbies taken up to relax.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 03:42 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Lorre wrote:
You also might consider taking up another sport (like running) to relax and build up stamina.

Be interested to know what folk do for this. Skipping is supposed to be great for footwork, fitness and stamina. Gym work I think would need to be careful so as not to slow muscles down...

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 05:07 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
I would agree with Lorre's advice.
Cut back on the TT to give yourself a break before the season starts.
If you can't run do some cross training.
After playing on the Saturday I go to the gym with the missus for some work on the treadmill, rowing machine, bike etc. along with a swim.
Sometimes too much TT is counter productive.
Alternate between short & long sessions and play in different venues for variety.
During the off season focus on having fun and don't get too hung up on drills and coaching sessions.
TT can be mentally draining. Don't let it get to you.

Edit:
http://www.irishtabletennis.com/itta/ne ... son_13-14/
Towards the end of the blog you can see the type of physicals a table tennis player needs to do to compete at the higher level.