OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 03:36 

For the past 3 weeks, I've had heel pain ( feels like heel spurs) after playing for a while. Usually start feeling it right at the 1.5 hr mark. I usually play from 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs 5x/week

Now I'm using Dr Scholls inserts wih gel heel on a regular tennis shoe. I sometimes use a Xiom TT shoe with a heel cup insert. Still the same thing. I've started rolling my feet/planar and heel on ice every few nights ( when pain gets bad)

Any other tips? Do I need to shutdown playing for extended period ( and for how long)

Thanks.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 04:53 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
LDMovies wrote:
For the past 3 weeks, I've had heel pain ( feels like heel spurs) after playing for a while. Usually start feeling it right at the 1.5 hr mark. I usually play from 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs 5x/week

Now I'm using Dr Scholls inserts wih gel heel on a regular tennis shoe. I sometimes use a Xiom TT shoe with a heel cup insert. Still the same thing. I've started rolling my feet/planar and heel on ice every few nights ( when pain gets bad)

Any other tips? Do I need to shutdown playing for extended period ( and for how long)

Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a tennis shoe - they're too stiff and don't allow you to roll forward onto your toes and may be causing you to shift your weight back onto your heels.
I use badminton / squash type runners with a really decent thick gel insert (they cost €25). Recently burst the gel section of the heel so I now need a new set. In relation to runners currently using a basic set from Joola.
If you have aggravated your heel you will need to give it time to heel. Swimming will keep your fitness in check and strengthen the whole foot area without aggravating it.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 06:14 

Hello LDMovies!
I had the same pain in my right heel a few year ago. I was feeling it more than 6 months. In my case I decided to change my shoes with ones with more comfortable insole (Mizuno). Then I have started to make about 3 days rest between the training days. Although the pain was appearing after every playing of table tennis it was getting more and more endurable.
And during the summer I stopped playing for 3-4 weeks and finally the pain disappeared after this period.
I hope that you will also get rid of the awful pain very soon.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 11:51 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Gel insoles aren't necessarily the best insoles to use for sports. The insoles I'm using now which work pretty well are the Dr Scholl's Active Series insoles:
http://www.drscholls.com/Products/ActiveSeriesInsoles

Also stretching for 10-15 minutes a day seems to help.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 16:02 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

When you play you should be always on your toes although most players dont do this. Perhaps treat the heel injury as a positive and use it to force yourself to play only on your toes.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2014, 16:57 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

If the pain bothers you even after some rest, it is time to consult health personnel. A doctor or physiotherapist should examine the problem. Self diagnosis is not a wise approach, as you may be fooled by the short term effects of cooling, painkillers and "failed healing".
While reading my advice, please note that I am also a layman in this field.

A frequent cause of heel pain is overload/abrasion of tendons, either in the arch of your foot (plantar fascia) or your achilles tendon. If that is the case for you, you probably have an inflammation with blood vessels growing into the tendons, in order to repair the damage. Those blood vessels temporarily weaken the tendon, so an increased load (weight on your toes) is not advisable until the healing is complete.

While less likely, it is possible that the cause is "heel pain syndrome", possibly from prolonged pressure against the heel pad. In this case I guess Carbonman's advice to keep on your toes will do you good.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 14:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You may need some time off and a professional opinion as Keme says. Trust me, this is not to be trifled with. Since it has only been happening a few weeks you can maybe keep from this thing becoming chronic.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 14:36 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Your heel may need some rest and good shoes. Better yet as advised, consult a medical professional if it is recurring.