OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 02:31 

I was trying to play table tennis to become fit, but that doesnt work. That only gives injuries. :)

I need to become fit to play table tennis. Any main excercises that are useful to prevent injuries are welcome.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 06:29 

I only play 2-3 times per week, so this is not the regime of a pro! ;)

I use a theraband. (Long stretchy bit of thin rubber). I find the std excercises work very well for shoulders and upper arms. I also jog (not as much as I maybe could) and do varied abdominal training. Since doing all this regularly I haven't injured myself at all. I used to have shoulder and ankle problems regularly.

I've read many times that you should be as relaxed as possible when playing. Although I don't manage that all the time, it helps too.

Always, always take 5 mins or more to warm up before playing. A bit of light jogging around the playing area and some theraband work is simple and quick to do. Don't forget to stretch afterwards. Particularly lower back, hamstrings and shoulders.

Good luck. :)

PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 14:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

They kept mentioning "frog leaps" during the recent WC games on TV... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2016, 00:49 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
iskandar taib wrote:
They kept mentioning "frog leaps" during the recent WC games on TV... :lol:

Iskandar

haha i mean look at zjk and ma long's quads mayn! them legs are killer!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2016, 11:45 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
You need to strengthen the muscles used in TT to support the motions you use. squats, leg press, and lunges for the legs light weight dead lifts to strengthen the back. Forearm excersises to prevent tennis elbow.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 07:34 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I'd agree with leatherback, but add cycling (low impact but good for leg strength) and skipping. Anaerobic stuff such as short sprints if you're up to it, circuits and any core strength stuff like sit ups, crunches.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 09:41 

Blade: Darker Speed90 CP
FH: Prov H3
BH: Andro Beat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arud6iG9nX8

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 23:21 
Super User

Aside from legs exercises like squats and lunges. I would suggest some lightweight shoulder and wrist mobility exercise using resistance band, just to improve ur flexibility and prevent from future injuries

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 23:47 

Blade: BTY Hadraw VK
FH: BTY Sriver
BH: BTY Sriver EL
Good topic.

I've been following a program called Wendler 5/3/1.
Prior to that, a couple of years ago a began with a program called "Starting Strength".

Both of these programs are based on Squats, Deadlift, overhead press, and bench press. They add some supplementary exercises, but the main lifts are the core.

I certainly got stronger following these programs, and love the deadlift and squat emphasis.
But to gain strength and follow these types of programs, you have to eat.......a lot.
At least if you want to keep up with the programming.

I dive, and didn't want to necessarily want to get bigger. Out growing a drysuit is an expensive thing to do.
Shoulder flexibility is something I need to maintain, and I was losing a bit of that flexibility.

During the past year, I've lost 33-to-34 lbs. I've lost strength gains as well. :headbang: but at 47 years of age, I didn't want to focus on getting bigger. So some adjustments were necessary for me.

I emphasized more cardiovascular work, along with yoga, while adjusting my eating plan to accommodate a lower work load than what I was doing during heavy squat and deadlift workouts.

I'm considering adjusting a workout program that still incorporates deadlift, squat, bench, and overhead press (at lower percentages of max.) With the emphasis on a table tennis oriented program.

I am looking for more footwork drill ideas. The video linked above led to more YouTube videos.
I definitely need to improve my footwork.

(ALL+) Stiga Allround Evolution- FH Yasaka Mark V (2.0)- BH Butterfly Tackifire Drive (1.9).

"You have to DO something to the ball." -Leatherback

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 00:38 
Super User

MitchellS wrote:
Good topic.

I've been following a program called Wendler 5/3/1.
Prior to that, a couple of years ago a began with a program called "Starting Strength".

Both of these programs are based on Squats, Deadlift, overhead press, and bench press. They add some supplementary exercises, but the main lifts are the core.

I certainly got stronger following these programs, and love the deadlift and squat emphasis.
But to gain strength and follow these types of programs, you have to eat.......a lot.
At least if you want to keep up with the programming.

I dive, and didn't want to necessarily want to get bigger. Out growing a drysuit is an expensive thing to do.
Shoulder flexibility is something I need to maintain, and I was losing a bit of that flexibility.

During the past year, I've lost 33-to-34 lbs. I've lost strength gains as well. :headbang: but at 47 years of age, I didn't want to focus on getting bigger. So some adjustments were necessary for me.

I emphasized more cardiovascular work, along with yoga, while adjusting my eating plan to accommodate a lower work load than what I was doing during heavy squat and deadlift workouts.

I'm considering adjusting a workout program that still incorporates deadlift, squat, bench, and overhead press (at lower percentages of max.) With the emphasis on a table tennis oriented program.

I am looking for more footwork drill ideas. The video linked above led to more YouTube videos.
I definitely need to improve my footwork.

5-3-1 is killer! How many years did you follow through that strength program?
ladder exercise, hopping side lunges, jump squats I think dynamic bodyweights leg training work best for sports (for explosiveness)
and even longevity of perfomance.

I've read a lot about fast twitch and slow twitch muscles last time, and I think its worth while reading bout it, if you're into proper training.

though there's always a place for strength training for extra power.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 03:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

MitchellS wrote:

Add in some good cardio and more core exercises and I think you are set for the fitness basics. Also try to keep low during practice/games - good for the legs.

In truth a couple of dumbbells, pull up bar, situps, pushups and some jogging or elliptical machine can go a long way for us non pros.

Losing weight is mostly about eating better (think less carbs and more meat/nuts) and not having the self sabotage meals as eating out can be 3000+ calories without you even knowing.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 07:56 

I worked on the starting strength program, following the Mark Rippetoe book. I did this for about 2 years. The next step was the "practical programming" book.
This led me to Wendler 5/3/1. Which I followed for 9 months.

I loved these programs. The progression you can make is steady, and measured. It's all based on percentages of your max. In each lift.
As long as you eat.....you can keep up with the programming.
The smart approach to weekly weight lifting increases also helped me to stay injury free.

I made great strength increases.....but my body weight went as high as 234lbs. (106 KG).
That was a year ago. I didn't want to keep gaining body weight in order to make strength gains.
**you have to EAT in order to get stronger.

A year ago, I adjusted my workout and eating plan.
My weight is now at 199lbs. (90.4KG).

My eating plan shifted towards more vegetables, small portions of rice, and smaller portions of meat; mostly fish.
My workout is more cardiovascular, along with medicine ball and kettle bell workouts. Yoga classes each week have been very helpful. There's a lot to be said for improving balance a flexibility. I'm feeling a lot of improvement in this area. To be honest, I mostly ignored balance a flexibility as part of any fitness routine. These days, yoga has been very beneficial to me.

On Wendler5/3/1......I was eating a much higher volume of beef and chicken.
It's a BEAST strength gaining plan for sure. But at 47 years old, I felt it was important to scale back, and transition into something that wasn't purely strength focused.

For TT, I'm thinking of adjusting Wendler5/3/1 and sticking with lower weight percentages and higher reps.
I'm a believer in doing squats and dead lifts. I enjoy doing barbell work.
I just need to adjust it with TT, endurance and agility in mind......I need foot work drills. :oops:

Finding a ratio of 1/3 strength based training, at much lower weights than before, with the remainder being cardiovascular, or higher volume work (I like kettle bells and medicine ball work), followed by footwork and agility.

[/quote]

5-3-1 is killer! How many years did you follow through that strength program?
ladder exercise, hopping side lunges, jump squats I think dynamic bodyweights leg training work best for sports (for explosiveness)
and even longevity of perfomance.

I've read a lot about fast twitch and slow twitch muscles last time, and I think its worth while reading bout it, if you're into proper training.

though there's always a place for strength training for extra power.[/quote]

(ALL+) Stiga Allround Evolution- FH Yasaka Mark V (2.0)- BH Butterfly Tackifire Drive (1.9).

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 08:10 

I agree on losing weight.
It's critical to adjust the content and quantity and keep your eating plan aligned with whatever your workout plan might be.

People don't realize that fitness/strength gains are incremental.

It's important to adjust your expectations and dig in for the long approach.
That's equally true for body weight loss, as well as making strength gains.

Improvements in Squats come slowly.......if you want to stay injury free while following a program.

These days I want to improve agility......so I don't move like an old white guy. :D

wilkinru wrote:
MitchellS wrote:

Add in some good cardio and more core exercises and I think you are set for the fitness basics. Also try to keep low during practice/games - good for the legs.

In truth a couple of dumbbells, pull up bar, situps, pushups and some jogging or elliptical machine can go a long way for us non pros.

Losing weight is mostly about eating better (think less carbs and more meat/nuts) and not having the self sabotage meals as eating out can be 3000+ calories without you even knowing.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 14:50 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I looked up the 5/3/1 program. It looks pretty intense, and certainly looks as if it would build strength quickly. However my concern with these kinds of programmes is that while it builds strength it might reduce speed, especially if you're in the gym 4 times a week.

When I used to train in the gym four days a week, I was in a perpetual state of stiffness based on whatever muscle groups I had worked a day or two previously.

I also think I'd struggle to find 6-8 hrs a week for weight training (including travel to the gym, getting changed, etc) in addition to the time i already spend in the hall.

That said I do feel as if I'd benefit from some strength work, mainly around injury prevention, but I'm inclined for that to be based around Pilates and use of own body weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2017, 02:04 

striker_ wrote:
I was trying to play table tennis to become fit, but that doesnt work. That only gives injuries. :)

I need to become fit to play table tennis. Any main excercises that are useful to prevent injuries are welcome.

I have found some tips and tricks at here. I think that it is basically but I do think that it work :)) maybe it can help you :))

http://www.pingpoolshark.com/ping-pong- ... ster-game/