OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 13:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
haggisv wrote:
Good to hear from you again nathanso :rock:

SOunds like you're making good progress, although it must seem like a very long and painful journey!

Do you think you'll stick to the same style as you were playing before, or will you likely change style and perhaps change to lighter equipment?
No changes planned except for the compact FH stroke, at least in the coming months. My bat is already light at 151g so no need to further lighten.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 15:49 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Well done Nathanso you'll get there just make sure you continue your rehab & you'll be back as good or probably better than before. Have a Great New Year! :rock: 8) :party:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2016, 10:31 
Super User

I'm glad you're doing so well

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2016, 11:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My six month post-op checkup with the surgeon was yesterday. He said I'm doing well and the joint is at full strength now (not the muscles). Appearance-wise I have regained my left/right symmetry which had suffered badly in the months immediately following the surgery. Note that prior to the surgery I was larger/stronger on the right shoulder/arm due to playing so much table tennis so I'm not yet back to where I was pre-injury. I still have a bit of a deformity, i.e. the step down where the outer shoulder isn't as high as the clavicle but the surgeon says the joint is stable, and having the extra space might even be beneficial in my later years since it will be less prone to arthritis.

My range of motion is nearly back, too, with notable exceptions being hand-behind-back (my left hand can reach up a full hand higher than my right hand), and certain waving motions (think Neko the waving fortune cat..)
Attachment:
neko.jpg
neko.jpg [ 6.25 KiB | Viewed 5306 times ]
The doc says these are the last ROMs to return.

Table tennis-wise, I'm back to playing 2-4 days per week but my short game and service games are still way off. I no longed need to do a compact FH stroke, and my BH is coming along nicely, too. But it's obvious when it's "shoulder o'clock" and time to call it quits for the night; usually 90 minutes into practicing. I used to play for 3-4h with no such fatigue.

I was doing physical therapy 3 days a week and also at home in off days. The surgeon said I no longer needed to be going to PT if I could do the same exercises at home, so no more co-payments (which were racking up)!

There are still things I cannot do at all due to pain: Hang from a chinning bar; push-ups; bench dips. The surgeon said these would come back slowly over the next six months and to heed the pain and not go overboard. But I can do most other activities including lifting fairly heavy object, and 20+ mile bicycle rides without any complaint from my shoulder.

I'll check in again at the 9 month mark.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2016, 22:22 
My Precious

Well done Nathanso keep up the good work but have patients do all your rehab but also do as your surgeon suggests & listen to your body, rest it when you need too. :up: It won't be too long before you're back better than ever. :clap: 8)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 05:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My one year post-op checkup was a few weeks ago. My muscle mass has returned along with nearly all of my ROM, and players at my local TT club say my game has returned, but I'm still not feeling more than 80% healed. I did PT in the studio through post-op month six and have continued 2-3 days a week in my own home.

My primary issue is what feels like a popping sound with I raise my arm straight out in front of me. The motion make the nerves in my 4th and 5th fingers jangle for hours so I'm careful to avoid doing it, but I did demo it for the surgeon who said he couldn't feel it (with his hand on my shoulder) but he sure could hear it.

He has an x-ray machine in his office so we did a quick x-ray which revealed what he said was good bone alignment; signs of possible beginning arthritis; but nothing abnormal that would explain the popping. He sent me for an MRI which I had a week later. The MRI report found no obvious issues, which concurred with the surgeon's read of the images. He offered me a cortisone shot which I refused (not wanting to weaken the tendons and ligaments in the area). He also said that a clean-up surgery could be helpful to remove excess scar tissue, which I also declined having heard that such surgeries often produce their own scar tissue and don't always help.

He told me that the joint won't stop healing for two full years after the surgery so I've decided to wait another six months before reconsidering his treatments.

Gollum, Is there a particular treatment name or technique to the acupuncture you mentioned? Nobody here has heard of the technique.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 19:17 
My Precious

“nathanso” You have to remove all that internal trauma that is caused by surgery so find yourself a acupuncturist preferably Chinese to remove the scar tissue & cupping to draw out any internal bruising. When I went down that line my doctors told me it would be a waste of time & I didn’t need it but it sure worked for me. Now I would see my acupuncturist at least a couple of times a year instead of a masseuse or a chiropractor. Great result for me. :up: 8) :party:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 02:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

16 month report:

At 13 months post-surgery I had my first session of acupuncture treatment, and I've now had 12 such sessions at one week intervals. A few of those sessions included cupping. I must say that I'm very impressed with the results! Prior to acupuncture I felt my recovery was stuck at 80% despite ongoing home PT. After acupuncture I feel I'm at 95%. The popping sound I was hearing when I raised my arm straight out in front of me was resolved after the 4th or 5th sessions. I'm now able to sleep on that side without dire consequence the next morning. As for table tennis, my shoulder still doesn't have the endurance it once did but I can get in 1.5-2h of competitive play before shoulder fatigue starts to affect my game.

Thanks for suggesting acupuncture, Gollum!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 18:13 
My Precious

I so glad you went the acupuncture way "Nathanso" :up: :clap: sounds similar to my experiences the needles get rid of the scar tissue with the cupping drawing out all that internal body trauma. :*: Persist even after mine were okay again I still have a session at least twice a year as a maintenance prevention & if I have any muscle issue or strain I also see my clinician. 8)
Well done & happy TT :party:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!