OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 06:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I searched the Web for table tennis players who had sustained a shoulder separation injury but found nothing so I thought I'd record my experience for future players.

June 6, 2015: I fell from my longboard onto asphalt and sustained a grade II shoulder separation to my right shoulder (I'm right handed). X-rays revealed no broken bones though I had the telltale 'step' deformity that comes with an AC ligament separation. The ER sent me home with an arm sling and instructions to ice the area and take anti-inflammatories for the pain and swelling.

June 8, 2015: Daily sessions this week alternating heat and cold every 5 minutes for 30 minutes total. Taking curcumin and ibuprofen daily to control inflammation.

June 9, 2015: Was seen by an orthopedic doctor who viewed my x-rays and used an ultrasound to see that my AC ligament was mostly ruptured. Diagnosing the CC ligament will need an MRI with contrast which is scheduled for June 29. If the CC ligaments are ruptured it could elevate the injury to a grade III. Grade II shoulder separations usually heal with 'conservative' treatment, i.e. no surgery/yes rest/yes rehab. I told the orthopedic doc I was interested in returning to table tennis with minimal limitations which is why he ordered the MRI. I'm doing everything one-handed/left-handed which is very awkward.

June 14, 2015: Went without the arm sling for a couple of hours; then the weight of my right arm on the injured shoulder became too much.

June 15, 2015: First day with no arm sling. I can do certain movements with my right hand/arm but nothing that involves lifting my arm above shoulder height, and certain motions bring sharp pain. TT still a long way off..

Attachments:
AC-Joint-Sprain.jpg
AC-Joint-Sprain.jpg [ 110.1 KiB | Viewed 8222 times ]
2015-06-16_13-56-23.jpg
2015-06-16_13-56-23.jpg [ 80.92 KiB | Viewed 8222 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 09:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles nathanso :( :( :( Did the doc give any idea of how long this injury would take to heal?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 13:28 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
man.

I dislocated my shoulder last april playing beach volleyball, it healed by itself ok after lots of physio and it looked like it was in the clear, but I had to take 4 months off with no fast arm movements.

along comes December and I am playing volleyball again and I have an opportunity to crush the ball down the line in a coed match....the defender (I noticed this in the air) was a pregnant mother out for some exercise. I held up my already violent arm swing much to the dismay of my damaged shoulder and felt it fly right out of its socket.

that was it. surgery is in my future.

months of range testing and physio and massage and special tendon strengthening drugs injected directly into my shoulder capsule and my surgery finnaly is approaching on July 25. They told me 8 weeks of no movement.

im dreading it...and thankful for it all at the same time.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 14:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

That's a bummer, leatherback. From what I've read recently, dislocated shoulders are more serious than separated shoulders. I wish you a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 23:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

June 17, 2015. Last night I was finally able to brush my teeth right-handed. And this morning I could wipe my a$$ right-handed for the first time in 10 days. Hooray. Certain trivial movements are still very painful such as closing a drawer, or lifting the blankets in the morning. I'm supplementing with manganese at the advice of a chiropractor friend in the hopes they will aid ligament healing.

Last edited by nathanso on 18 Jun 2015, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2015, 00:33 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Sorry to hear about the injury and I wish you a speedy recovery.

There's now a trend not to take anti-inflammatories since the body swells to protect the affected area.
How does a shoulder separation injury differ from a shoulder dis-location ?
I would have though that any injury should be given plenty of time to heal (particularly a shoulder injury) with supervised physio sessions at the offset.
I probably wouldn't be playing any TT until you get the all clear so that you don't make it any worse.
I've had a shoulder re-construction done in the days before keyhole surgery became commonplace. Recovery time was a few years as opposed to months today.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2015, 00:50 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Hi nathanso I have had torn ligaments in both my shoulders first my right like you with a fall of the back of a stationary truck & the second about 4 months later which I think was partially a result of the first fall. As a result of these I had 2 shoulder reconstructions with the ligaments stitched back together then after the operations plenty of physiotherapy, hydrotherapy & acupuncture to reduce the scar tissue. It was all quite painful but very successful as both shoulders are sound & fully functional again. If you don’t have surgery to repair your tare with anti-inflammatories you will get some function out of it but a torn ligament won’t repair it will eventually get worse & you will either have to eventually have surgery or endue a reduced lifestyle . When it happened to me I did a lot of research & decided to act straight away to avoid long term pain & reduced shoulder movement.

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 15:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Day 31: Got my MRIs done on June 29 and today the orthopedic doc read them and gave me the news: Grade 3, "a serious injury" as far as these sprains usually go. My AC ligament is completely ruptured and my CC ligament is 90% gone, with what's left not doing any good. My bicep tendon is also inflamed but I think it was subluxated (dislocated) until I was able to reseat it a few days ago. This orthopedic doc (who doesn't do surgery) referred me to a surgeon in his practice for a second opinion on July 24th and info on what surgery and recovery entails. He did tell me it wouldn't be an arthroscopic procedure in any event. From my research on Google, these reconstructions are a bitch to recover from and results aren't always good.

I still haven't tried playing TT since before the injury though I can do my FH and BH stroke motions without much pain. How that works with more effort and with ball impact remains to be seen. I'll be giving it a go for an hour this coming Sunday. My expectations are low.

I'm scheduled to begin physical therapy on Monday. Daily activities have been back to normal for the past 7-10 days but certain motions still bring sharp pain.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 17:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Are you allowed to be playing? You'd have to be careful not to make it even more serious... :(

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 17:57 
My Precious

“Nathanso” As posted I had a similar situation to what you find yourself in now, do some research , get a good orthopedic surgeon & have the operation carried out as soon as possible because your recovery is painful but your progress can be seen soon so it's bearable. Do your rehab which will include physio, hydrotherapy, massage & acupuncture. My doctors didn't encourage acupuncture but what it did was break down the scare tissue which helped free up the shoulder (which often freeze up after your surgery) so it was easier to do your rehab with a lot less pain killers. My recovery after the operation in both occasions was about 3 months. Please keep us informed on your progress & take care :up:
Don't Play! & use a sling to support the arm as much as possible.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 01:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The orthopedic doc did clear me for playing (I specifically asked). He said to let pain be my guide, and be wary of bones rubbing (that's bad). But in my case he told me the bones in question are far apart and not likely to contact each other. PT will likely be more taxing that TT.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 14:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Played for the first time today since the injury. BH is mostly pain-free though my BH serves are way off and have no power. FH stoke is painful; especially the looping action. PT begins bright and early tomorrow..

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 13:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Had my first surgical consult today.

The ortho doc said that the combination of my slender frame and my desire to return to TT made me a strong candidate for reconstructive surgery. According to him, slender people's shoulders don't do as well as stockier people's when trying to deal with a separated shoulder conservatively, i.e. left as-is without surgery. His method is part arthroscopic, part open. Recovery is hell the first week (sleep in a recliner); sling and zero carried weight for 6 weeks; PT begins after 12 weeks; and full strength at 6-9 months. He thought I'd regain 90-100% of my previous ability back.

I'm now seeking additional surgical consults from other doctors.

p.s. He said no TT until fixed due to obvious interference in the joint during my FH stroke.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 18:28 
My Precious

nathanso wrote:
Had my first surgical consult today.

The ortho doc said that the combination of my slender frame and my desire to return to TT made me a strong candidate for reconstructive surgery. According to him, slender people's shoulders don't do as well as stockier people's when trying to deal with a separated shoulder conservatively, i.e. left as-is without surgery. His method is part arthroscopic, part open. Recovery is hell the first week (sleep in a recliner); sling and zero carried weight for 6 weeks; PT begins after 12 weeks; and full strength at 6-9 months. He thought I'd regain 90-100% of my previous ability back.

I'm now seeking additional surgical consults from other doctors.

p.s. He said no TT until fixed due to obvious interference in the joint during my FH stroke.

Nathanso, as I said I've had both my shoulders done, listen to your surgeon & don't play because if you damage it more recovery just takes longer. He's right recovery is painful but if you rehab correctly & work through the pain you will achieve a full recovery. I had acupuncture starting the day I had my stitches out (at 6 weeks) which got rid of the scare tissue which freed up the shoulder which in turn made the process less painful. That was about 7 years ago, now life's & TT are both great, take care! :clap: :up:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 09:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Had my second surgical consult today. Sadly, I learned that had I had surgery in the first 6 weeks the original ligaments likely would have healed (after a suture drew the now-separated bones back together). The first 6 weeks of the injury is called the acute phase.

Now I'm into the chronic phase of the injury where the ligaments will never heal and a different method is used. This latter technique relies on accumulated scar tissue that builds atop a scaffold made from suture tape and a ligament graft (allograft). The results are apparently the same though I think that only the CC ligament is restored with the chronic stage reconstruction (not the AC lig.). I'll likely be having the surgery in the next 3-4 weeks. Recovery is 6 weeks in an arm sling; then 12 weeks of PT. Doc says I'll be good as new thereafter but the first week after surgery really sucks.