OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 01:31 

Last night I bought Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM formula in capsule form. I also got some collagen type II capsules that is more targeted for joints. The type I & III is more for skin, hair, nails...etc. But either collagen types will still very slightly help either targeted areas.

I read there needs to be a certain amount of mg to be effective, so the bottle stated the effective dosage per servings:

1,500 mg D-Glucosamine Sulfate 2KCl
1,200 mg Chondroitin Sulfate
1,000 mg MSM

Not really sure if the collagen was overkill, but the small lateral effect is I might have some nice supple skin and hair 8)

The reason I was interested in taking these is more for prevention. It's not too expensive, and comes out to $0.93 USD a day for me. For our overseas friends as reference, a McDonald's Big Mac is around $3 in L.A., or $4+ in some areas. A Starbucks daily drip coffee is $2+. A good bottle of beer from a 6 pack is about $1.25-$1.75.

My knees have always slightly made a popping noise, kind of like when you stretch in the morning in bed and your joints make a slight pop noise. So far it's all normal. However it's been popping more often and slightly louder throughout the day these past 10 years. My knees I'm sure have lots of wear from years of skateboarding, volleyball, mountain biking, snowboarding, and jogging. Now that I'm seriously into TT, putting in 2-5 hours, 6 days a week, practicing/playing I can really feel it in my knees. I don't want to be like some of the guys that have to wear a knee brace just to play, so hopefully these supplements will help minimize the damage I'm putting on my knees as well as other joints daily.

I think it takes 2-3 months before it becomes effective. Here's the paradox of it in that you can't be sure if it really did help you or it didn't over the same time period over months/years unless of course I clone myself to measure. I've seen people who swear by it and it has allowed them to play TT, and I've also seen it dismissed based on some clinical trials.

I'm going to lean on the preventative side and at less than a $1 a day it's not a bad insurance to have.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 02:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Zero...I've used glucosamine for about 14 years now. st first I got it without chondroitin and then with it for past 6 or 7. 14 years ago a surgeon told me I needed a new knee. I could barely walk at that point. He mentioned there were supplements around that did very little. So then my aunt told me glucosamine was the supplement he meant and she'd had good results from it in her hand. It only took about 3-4 weeks before I began to feel real benefits. Now in those 14 years there's been yhe odd time I've run out of it and taken some weeks to get more. Only takes 3-4 weeks to start feeling bone on bone when walking...a very good reminder to get more! 14 years and my knee is still better now than when I walked into that surgeon's office. It plays up at times and anti-inflammatories are needed. But overall glucosamine has been the reason I can still walk and play TT still.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 03:04 

Wow Reb, bone on bone can't be a nice feeling. Glad your aunt helped you get started and the positive effects you received. Hopefully your experience will help others who were on the fence whether to try it or not. Maybe it will help them too.

I got really concerned when I was stretching one night and had my ear next to my left knee as I bent it up towards my head. I heard it sound like a dull and muffled paper scrunching. My right knee didn't sound like that. My left knee would make sense since I lean and bend more with my left knee forward when I skateboard and snowboard. That also was the knee that took a moderate hit from my motorcycle accident.

I wonder if it helps prevent or reduce inflamation for tennis elbow and wrist pain? Hmm, I'll look more into it when I can.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 15:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

It only helps where there is cartilage worn down or away, as it rebuilds a think film of it. I have basically zero cartilage in my knee in many points (which is the definition of arthritis as far as I can tell). So it helps fill the gaps temporarily. If I don't take it for 3-4 weeks as I said, it wears away and I'm back to bone. It doesn't get me to a place of high comfort when I take it, and the joint is loose, so I brace it for TT...but its a LOT better than bone on bone. For those with most the cartilage in tact, I think it just brings relief to the twinges those people might get. I have known people it hasn't worked for though, and I'd say in those cases, either their bodies doesn't accept it, or the structure of their problem is different to what the particular glucosamine formula can help. The people who are like this are generally the ones who gives the product the doubts people have over it. Its not a miracle cure (although its close to it for me), it just does what its supposed to do....and if thats not where the problem is, it can't fix it.

I think the clinical trials that have been done (by some) that disprove it works are either biased, wanting a result showing it doesn't work.....or they don't have the "right" kind of injuries in the trial. I had someone claiming to be a doctor on a TT forum (not this one) once give me all this guff about how it doesn't work and how its placebo to me, etc, etc. If that's the case, it must be buried deep in my psyche, cos there's been 2 or 3 times in the years I stopped taking it and felt the same bone jarring results after a few weeks...so my psyche must've been tracking that placebo effect really really well :P :lol:

As for TT elbow, I get that from time to time. I can't say whether glucosamine in my diet helps it, but I doubt it. I need to wear an elbow brace for a while when it crops up and then it tends to disappear again. TT elbow is the wearing away of the sheath that surrounds the nerves in the elbow caused by repetitive movement and pressure on it. I contracted this by serving too hard in tennis at about age 16. Anyway, I don't think glucosamine builds up the sheath again (although it might help, who knows). Rest and keeping the forearm muscle from contracting too much (using a brace) is what heals it I think.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 19:45 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
there were times my knee also had mild problems. took the same thing mentioned above for a few months and the problem went away. when they were gone a shortwhile i stopped taking them. once in a while it pops up again, and then i consumed some for awhile, and then stop.

coincidentally, those happened when my vitamin D level is very low. when i up my vitamin D consumption seems like it help a lot. haven't had knee problem for the last two years or so.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 06:19 

Just an update on my supplement taking- it's been 6-7 weeks since taking these and I don't feel any discomfort or pain in my knees. Is it working? Probably.

The variables is I'm not playing/practicing 4-5 hours daily, 6 days a week. I still do 4-5 hours on somedays, and I'm going at a much slower pace when practicing.

The peculiar thing is my joints in other parts of my body, especially both shoulders, seem loose and poppy. Maybe there's more lubrication or fluid between the joints now?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 06:53 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Thanks to these post, was actually in doubt of whether glucosamine will help with my help knees, as a lot of my frens are like me young marathoners active and such late twenties and when i ask them no one actually use it, mostly used supplements like bcaa and creatine.

So I think with this post alone I'll start taking glucosamine and see how my left knee gonna be fairing.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 00:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

kim biceps wrote:
Thanks to these post, was actually in doubt of whether glucosamine will help with my help knees, as a lot of my frens are like me young marathoners active and such late twenties and when i ask them no one actually use it, mostly used supplements like bcaa and creatine.

So I think with this post alone I'll start taking glucosamine and see how my left knee gonna be fairing.

Will be interesting to see if it works for you Kim. Glad it seems to help Zero! :up:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 02:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have spent the hour or so looking at peer-reviewed medical literature on randomized clinical trials for chondroitin and glucosamine (the highest standard of evidence, probably the only standard people should accept). This has been a controversial subject over the years. Some of the studies now have better designs and are now showing positive results in osteoarthritis. Here is a very good recent one. The dose used in this study was 400 mg chondroitin sulfate plus 500 mg glucosamine hydrochloride three times a day.

http://ard.bmj.com/content/early/2015/0 ... 014-206792

Here it the bottom line of this study: "The reduction in pain was both clinically important and statistically significant (50% reduction in both groups), as was the improvement in stiffness (46.9% reduction with the combination vs 49.2% with celecoxib), and function (45.5% vs 46.4%, respectively)." Also, it is a much safer treatment than celecoxib (or any other NSAIDs).

Another thing they found is that the improvement is slow in onset. It takes 1-4 months to see an effect.

One thing the newer studies are showing is that best results are obtained when glucosamine and chondroitin are taken in combination. By themselves, they don't seem to work well enough to show a statistically significant or consistent effect. Here is one of those.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... #t=article

The problem ALWAYS with this is finding a supplier who sells a version of these substance that is actually what is claimed in the label and that is actually absorbed.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 23:34 
Super User

I took this after my last knee surgery. No effect over 4 month period.

I tried a generic multi vitamins tablet with fish oils in - no knee what so ever issues in same time period (after suffering on and off for 2 years).

Mind you my shoulder joint and tennis elbow are worse than ever!

Placebo? I haven't had a cold for 2 years either, so sticking with it...