OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 22:45 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
What do you eat, if anything, when you get home after an evening of league or pennant matches?

This Melbourne winter, I've taken to having a bowl of warm soup with bread, after getting home and cleaning up. Prior to this, I was more a breakfast cereal guy. I still am, but at breakfast…

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 22:49 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Haha anything I feel like eating mayn. I would assume if it's winter now , I would want something hot and fulfilling everytime. Maybe a roast chicken or pasta.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 01:45 

Not in a league yet, but closest would be the weekly round robins tournaments. Nothing out of the ordinary dinner, but lately I've been eating lots of ice-cream. Maybe 1/4 or 1/3 the carton!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 02:22 
Super User

ZeroZero wrote:
Not in a league yet, but closest would be the weekly round robins tournaments. Nothing out of the ordinary dinner, but lately I've been eating lots of ice-cream. Maybe 1/4 or 1/3 the carton!

Wow sounds a tad unhealthy mate.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 00:05 

kim biceps wrote:
ZeroZero wrote:

I need something to drown my sorrows after a massive asswhuppin' in the tournaments :P But seriously, it's actually not that bad. I guess it depends on the size of the carton of ice-cream in your country and the types of frozen desert we're talking about, ie: gelato and frozen yogurt. Besides I'm not fat so I can afford to indulge when I feel like it and not worry.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 00:14 
Super User

kim biceps wrote:
ZeroZero wrote:

I need something to drown my sorrows after a massive asswhuppin' in the tournaments :P But seriously, it's actually not that bad. I guess it depends on the size of the carton of ice-cream in your country and the types of frozen desert we're talking about, ie: gelato and frozen yogurt. Besides I'm not fat so I can afford to indulge when I feel like it and not worry.

Well im the kinda guy who eats a little and go puffy next morning haha, so no thank you! Well we all need something to drown the sorrow i guess from time to time, for me , its them burgers and doritos mayn.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 00:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I've recently discovered that I'm carbohydrate intolerant. Done a lot of research on this being a diabetic. Carbs turn to sugar in the blood, so I'm trying to have a low carb diet. I started this less than a week ago and have lost about 5kg from it already. So tonight after TT I had poached fish on fried onions with avacado and prawns. Its quite hard to eat without incorporating carbs when you have been used to doing so all your life. But its been resulting in lower blood sugars, so seems like I'll stick with it. Have to not only ignore the sweet tooth now, but also ignore staples like bread, pasta, rice (I have to have some rice now and then, so I go basmati), potatoes and more :( ;(

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 00:37 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I've recently discovered that I'm carbohydrate intolerant. Done a lot of research on this being a diabetic. Carbs turn to sugar in the blood, so I'm trying to have a low carb diet. I started this less than a week ago and have lost about 5kg from it already. So tonight after TT I had poached fish on fried onions with avacado and prawns. Its quite hard to eat without incorporating carbs when you have been used to doing so all your life. But its been resulting in lower blood sugars, so seems like I'll stick with it. Have to not only ignore the sweet tooth now, but also ignore staples like bread, pasta, rice (I have to have some rice now and then, so I go basmati), potatoes and more :( ;(

Well that shucks man. I tried the brown breads and rice only diet once, din worked out too well last time. woah but 5kg in a week thats nuts! How do you overcome the cravings and all, pure willpower?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 00:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

kim biceps wrote:
How do you overcome the cravings and all, pure willpower?

So far, by eating satiating foods that make you feel full. And allowing myself the odd treat. I had one Tim-Tam (chocolate biscuit) on the weekend. Yeah, there's a fair bit of will-power involved. But I'd thrown my hands up in the air for a long time as a diabetic who's had trouble keeping good sugars despite best efforts to do so. But having found new information recently I decided to give it a red-hot go. Its put my sugars all over the place, but at least has them lower overall. Managing diabetes is a very hard thing. I've been doing it (often not very well) for about 12 years now. Generally when I see the doc, he's happy overall with my control. But when you see the daily levels on the blood meter, it can be very depressing (especially when you don't understand how blood glucose rises when you have fasted - which its not supposed to do - fasting should drop it). My nutritionist reckons the liver releases sugars during fasting if you get too low (when asleep), but mine rise over just a few hours (not asleep) after they reach their lowest point after eating. Their explanations don't make sense with what happens in my body....pretty strong motivation to give things a go, but when they just don't seem to help, its easy to fall off the wagon!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 01:12 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

So far, by eating satiating foods that make you feel full. And allowing myself the odd treat. I had one Tim-Tam (chocolate biscuit) on the weekend. Yeah, there's a fair bit of will-power involved. But I'd thrown my hands up in the air for a long time as a diabetic who's had trouble keeping good sugars despite best efforts to do so. But having found new information recently I decided to give it a red-hot go. Its put my sugars all over the place, but at least has them lower overall. Managing diabetes is a very hard thing. I've been doing it (often not very well) for about 12 years now. Generally when I see the doc, he's happy overall with my control. But when you see the daily levels on the blood meter, it can be very depressing (especially when you don't understand how blood glucose rises when you have fasted - which its not supposed to do - fasting should drop it). My nutritionist reckons the liver releases sugars during fasting if you get too low (when asleep), but mine rise over just a few hours (not asleep) after they reach their lowest point after eating. Their explanations don't make sense with what happens in my body....pretty strong motivation to give things a go, but when they just don't seem to help, its easy to fall off the wagon!

Have you ever give tried intermittent fasting? or heard of it?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 01:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

kim biceps wrote:
Have you ever give tried intermittent fasting? or heard of it?

Actually its that kind of information I've been reading. I'm not at a point where I could do full IF, but my trial diet is based upon it and stuff from Dr. Jason Fung and others in his research field. It goes against what my nutritionist has ever said, but what I'm doing is sort of bringing a bit of it in, cautiously.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 01:43 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Actually its that kind of information I've been reading. I'm not at a point where I could do full IF, but my trial diet is based upon it and stuff from Dr. Jason Fung and others in his research field. It goes against what my nutritionist has ever said, but what I'm doing is sort of bringing a bit of it in, cautiously.

ah, i see, thread carefully then my friend, I tried IF every now and then on certain days, but i felt that the urge to binge eat is so strong compared to normal eating having less of that urge to pick unhealthy foods. But IF definitely makes me less puffy on the midsection especially if its extended into my sleeping cycle.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 02:53 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Reb, I'm a huge advocate for real food diets, be they called "Paleo" or "Ancestral" or whatever. And I am also a huge believer in IF as a healthy part of one's natural dietary regimen.

Humans evolved on IF, and our bodies require hormesis to pull fat stores from the places that they exist. IF plays a big part in this.

As for lowering carb intake, it's tough at first because your brain (everyone's brain) is conditioned (addicted?) to the endorphine and chemical response we have when we take in carbs and sugars. This is why you might experience a "Carb flu" as people call it. Really, it's your body going back to normal because it's likely metabolically (and psychologically :lol: ) derranged. Satiating foods...high protein and fat will help this process, as you already mentioned. When I'm fasting and on LC, I have to remind myself to eat. I'm never hungry.

Sounds like you already know this, but...I would recommend, particularly because you are diabetic, to EITHER drop your carb intake (to SAFE levels, never completely) OR to incorporate intermittent fasting, but do NOT try both at the same time.

Where are you in lowering your carbs? Are you just going at it outright? Tapering?
Start with a moderate carb (MC) diet ~150g/day (roughly 20-25% of your diet).
Taper to a lower carb (LC) diet when you become comfortable (See attached chart for differences in MC, LC, and VLC)

If you are diabetic and on finger sticks and/or insulin, please proceed cautiously!! You don't ever want to bottom out. Of course, run any dietary regimen by a doctor you trust.

Never try Very Low Carb (VLC) aka Ketogenic Diets until your diabetes is resloved, if ever. That being said, I've had patients literally resolve their diabetes doing controlled strict low carb and ketogenic diets with the help of clinical dietiticians.

After a long while of low carb stability, then maybe try IF. And yes, your body will pull glycogen stores during IF and you will get fluctuations in BS. Awesome that you are doing this...conventional medicine has a lot of catching up to do in the area of nutrition.

Attachments:
Carb.JPG
Carb.JPG [ 59.77 KiB | Viewed 5796 times ]

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 11:47 
Super User

Japsican , quick question, for a healthy man with no health issues like me, what's the safe amount hours per day and days per week? Consider I'm a 185 pound 6 foot guy late twenties. Im used to fasting more than 8 hours on every other day, but I tend to gorge the next day.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 16:30 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Japsican wrote:
Reb, I'm a huge advocate for real food diets, be they called "Paleo" or "Ancestral" or whatever. And I am also a huge believer in IF as a healthy part of one's natural dietary regimen.

Humans evolved on IF, and our bodies require hormesis to pull fat stores from the places that they exist. IF plays a big part in this.

As for lowering carb intake, it's tough at first because your brain (everyone's brain) is conditioned (addicted?) to the endorphine and chemical response we have when we take in carbs and sugars. This is why you might experience a "Carb flu" as people call it. Really, it's your body going back to normal because it's likely metabolically (and psychologically :lol: ) derranged. Satiating foods...high protein and fat will help this process, as you already mentioned. When I'm fasting and on LC, I have to remind myself to eat. I'm never hungry.

Sounds like you already know this, but...I would recommend, particularly because you are diabetic, to EITHER drop your carb intake (to SAFE levels, never completely) OR to incorporate intermittent fasting, but do NOT try both at the same time.

Where are you in lowering your carbs? Are you just going at it outright? Tapering?
Start with a moderate carb (MC) diet ~150g/day (roughly 20-25% of your diet).
Taper to a lower carb (LC) diet when you become comfortable (See attached chart for differences in MC, LC, and VLC)

If you are diabetic and on finger sticks and/or insulin, please proceed cautiously!! You don't ever want to bottom out. Of course, run any dietary regimen by a doctor you trust.

Never try Very Low Carb (VLC) aka Ketogenic Diets until your diabetes is resloved, if ever. That being said, I've had patients literally resolve their diabetes doing controlled strict low carb and ketogenic diets with the help of clinical dietiticians.

After a long while of low carb stability, then maybe try IF. And yes, your body will pull glycogen stores during IF and you will get fluctuations in BS. Awesome that you are doing this...conventional medicine has a lot of catching up to do in the area of nutrition.

Thanks Japs. Are you a doctor, a nutritionist/dietitian or something else?

I can't really do proper IF for a few reasons. One is I take an injection medication (not insulin) twice a day that requires food. Second, I'm just not ready to go that far anyway and I think I would fall off it too easily at this point and do worse than I'm trekking.

I'd say I fall into the Low Carb area on the chart at the moment (for the last week or so ). Been examining every package to see what carbs are in things. Probably haven't reached VLC on any day but its hard to tell...I may have. Been eating eggs with cheese and sometimes bacon as breakfast/brunch. Then steak and veges (like onions, brussels, carrots and brocilli, no potato, but sometimes a little sweet potato) for dinner and then some kind of snack later which is often out of cheese, olives, avacado, almonds, walnuts and a few lowish carb cracker things I found in the supermarket). But as I said earlier, some meals I'll have some basmati rice but have only had this twice. And after TT been doing the fish thing. And have really done no snacks between the meals.

Not all that easy to maintain and I do jump off it on a Wednesday night when I have my daughter and she plays netball. We go get a burger after her game cos she enjoys it, and there's no time to cook. But its just one meal that I have bread in. Its kind of a treat for me too. :lol: